Cheaper Freeze Dried sites?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Bandit99, Feb 16, 2016.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

AlaskaChick bought a MountainHouse Freeze Dried Meal SAMPLER Case, about a decade ago, just to see if it was something thatn we could use to break up our other Food Preps.... It has been sitting on the Pantry Shelf, forever..... Tuesday Night, She wasn't very hungry, so I was looking for something I could make, for just myself.... I though, "Why not try out one of these?" I took out a Beef Stew Pouch, and followed the Instruction.... Well, It might keep one alive, I suppose, but as for anything else, Cardboard likely tastes Better... Last Night I made 1/2 Cup of Infused Rice, and then added a Can of "Staggs Chili" to the Drained HOT Rice, in the Pot... Let it Stand for 3 minutes..... Much better Meal, for one Person, and actually had some "Taste" to it....

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

LOL! You ate MH food from a pouch which was a decade old? Man, I went through some of mine which may have been 5 years old and some of them were completely unusable. The beef stew, for example, was all melted together and didn't smell right. In the trash it went. The ice cream? Forget it -just a blob of rock candy. I stored them in 70 degree interior of the house, not going to do that again. I switched to #10 cans of MH food and never looked back. No problems with the cans.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well our pantry is unHeated, if we leave the Door Closed, that connects to the Kitchen... During the summer, we leave it closed, but in Winter we leave it open... Average Temps in there are around 45F.... But yea, at the height of summer, the Chocolate Chips kind of melt some...

4. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

I get a kick out of all the different posters who said they buy various items from the LDS stores. I am LDS and have NEVER bought anything from the stores!! I always find better deals elsewhere.

5. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Example please. Bulk, in 50 bags I can see, but canned, including shipping, ready to store, I have not seen.

3cyl and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I would like to know also. I have never been there because they are only open during working hours and it is such a drive that seems like it would cost me a lot in time and money to go buy there cheap products. I have always wanted to go to the restaurant store. It is the place restaurants buy bulk but you have to go with someone who owns an establishment. I looked into it years ago but never found someone to go with.

3cyl likes this.
  7. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

3cyl and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Can't say about canned, I always buy bulk and store myself.

BTPost likes this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Imasham it would be great if you would posts some links and share your sources.

3cyl likes this.
  10. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

I like them too. Good products, mostly fair price. However, when the pandemic hit, I ordered 12 pouches of prepared meals, some chicken and rice, I think. Checked with my kids, they didn't have any emergency supplies. Logged on to order some sent directly to them...price had quadrupled! Now, I really didn't need mine, had just ordered because it was a good price and I always try to rotate stock...didn't know if pandemic would keep us from shopping. Ended up sending the pouches half to each kid...at least they have a couple of weeks worth of emergency meals if needed. I did NOT appreciate them jumping the price up, though.

Most of my stored FD meat, eggs and milk are through Honeyville Farms.

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. Ganado
  11. john316
  12. DKR
  13. DKR
  14. apache235
  15. Ganado
  16. alaskachick
  17. Oddcaliber
  18. Motomom34