Check your brake fluid

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oil pan 4, Jul 1, 2022.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Guy had like $7,000 worth of carbon ceramic rotors and used $5 dot 3 brake fluid.

Going that hard on dot 4 may not have gone any differently.
    I didn't know super dot 4 brake fluid existed or dot 5.1 till I read the comments I had seen dot 4 heavy duty, but not Motul 600, Motul 660, Castrol SRF and others. I knew about dot 5 silicone and that was about it, it doesn't get along with antilock brake systems. Wet boiling not a big problem out in these parts. When it gets wet over time have to bleed it out.
    I'm going to buy a brake fluid hydrometer to measure water in the brake fluid.

Gator 45/70, enloopious and duane like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Old drums had space between pistons and linings, ran cooler etc. Disc have caliper applying pressure directly to pad, if drag, common on my Ford pickup, get very hot. Kind of stupid to save a few bucks on low tech fluid for a many 10 s of thousand pickup. There are different DOT grades and such and they do list which none you should use.

Gator 45/70 and enloopious like this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

In trac mode that had never been tried before.

Rear hatch off??? I've seen cars lift off the track and fly at 200MPH, and they had all their panels intact. He didn't think that massive hole in the back wouldn't create an issue???

Bled the brakes and hopes they're okay?

I saw no brake testing at all. Race pads don't work well cold, and standard pads work even worse if they're not bedded to the rotors and allowed to heat cycle. There are specific break in procedures for new pads.

Add all that to the fact that a Tesla is a very heavy car. Even someone familiar with the track in another car would have to learn the braking point in a Tesla.

I'd say that crash was 100% the drivers fault.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh yeah and brakes need to be broke in too. Normal driving accomplishes this.
    On a track a few warmup laps should do it.
    The guy admitted it was his fault using dot 3 brake fluid and only bleed the brakes enough to get the air out.

Gator 45/70, duane and enloopious like this.
  5. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I simply don’t understand why individuals want to race standard production cars that were designed to get us from point A to point B as safely as possible. If you want to race, then build a race car from the ground up with a full roll cage and six point harness restraints that will increase your ability to walk away from a major crash which will happen no matter how good of a driver you are.
    Wonder if his insurance will cover that.

On top of that, he had no helmet on, real bright idiot!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Chillin' Chet is an old guy trying to be young again...and acting a damn fool ass in the process...not to mention destroying an expensive auto and nearly getting himself killed! I know that standard insurance policies don't cover this sort of thing, so hopefully he paid through the nose for the extra coverage...otherwise!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7