Chicks !!!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by azrancher, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Twelve days = a dozen (maybe), $1.00-$4.00 worth... Yeah go for it if you are sure they are only 1 year old, buy at least 2.

Rancher

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Look at the VENT to see age

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Chicks will feather in & then on the breed you got they will semi pin in their breeds marking & then after that they might start laying eggs. Just under a year for many birds , ours are an egg every other day . they were just refreshed with new blood line 2 years ago .
    Euskal Oiloa - Marraduna Basque

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

I will add this to Cruisin Sloth post on the layer..That is a Great price on a one year old hen..For some strange reason, here in south Georgia, the cost for layers goes from $10 to $20 depending on the breed. Right now Rhode Island reds and Buffs are bringing the best prices. And don't get me started on selling game roosters for $25.00 or more.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Motomom34 likes this.
  6. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

Vent cleaning !! Try an arm up the heifers / cow to see if the placement is correct , you feel the layment / if it will deliver well .
    Once the size has grown to large , You don't have room . Oh By THE WAY , The other hole can & will spray from you being in the front door .

Just so you know AZ ;)

Sloth

Motomom34, Ganado and azrancher like this.
  8. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Oh I understand, our vet is an itty bitty lady, probably 5' & 100#, she takes care of our horses... I don't know how she does it!!!

Rancher

Ganado likes this.
  9. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

This is start of Week #3, huge chicks, going to have to split the 2 brooders of 26 into 4 brooders of 13, still got 52, no losses, they eat like pigs, started the second bag of 45# of Starter/Grower.

Getting body feathers now. Oh and notice that I've gone to 1 gallon waters, thirsty chicks.

Rancher

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  10. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Barred Rock Chicks Week 3b.
    This is start of Week #4, huge chicks, I split the 2 brooders of 26 into 4 brooders of 13, had 52 until today, 1 loss, broken neck... don't play so rough kids. Now have 51.

Rancher

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  11. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

OK start of week #5, outside birds, 2 separate cages 3'X5' 500 watts of heat in each cage, I did add hay and hanging feeders, last picture is how they are protected from the wind-rain and cold, this is supposed to be a mild week, lows in the mid to low 40's, you can tell the difference between the hens and the roosters at this point.

Barred Rock Chicks Week 4+ E Cages. Barred Rock Chicks Week 4+ S Cages. Barred Rock Chicks Week 4+ Shelter Tin.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Them are Egg Layers ?
    Not meat birds & if they are sharpen yur teeth .

13. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Them are 4 weeks old, they should start laying around 20 weeks, i.e. May, they should be in full swing all Summer.
    You could eat them they will be full sized chickens, probably about 45 hens 6 cocks, probably need to grill 2 of the cocks, more than 1:10 is not necessary if you are hatching the eggs, if you aren't hatching you don't need any cocks. I'm not sure what you mean by sharpen yur teeth?

Rancher

chelloveck likes this.
  14. Cruisin Sloth

Them old birds get tough !!
    I know & were letting the dog get them after the dog has finished guarding all of them.

15. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and T. Riley like this.
  16. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

A good hen will lay 300 eggs a year. At $2 a dozen that's $50. After the SHTF, priceless. My 15 hens have been laying 10-12 eggs a day since December after they started at 6 month old in November. Good feed, shelter, water and light and they will produce year round. I start a new set of hens ever spring. 20 eggs went in the incubator yesterday.

Cruisin Sloth and chelloveck like this.
  17. Cruisin Sloth

TX is warmer than here & I'll start 70-150 in total of Duck & Chicken .
    Duck are a better egg , but they are trainable & messy .
    I need enough sun hours to support the systems , If not Im paying to heat !

Sloth

18. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

We had three days of winter this year. 82 today. So, heat didn't set me back much this year.

19. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

We have 25 Red Sex-Link pullets and 2 cockerels due the 1st week of March. While we all will lend a hand whenever it's needed these will be under the care of my DiL. This will be her first experience with farm type animals. We plan to sell/barter off any excess eggs to help with the feed bill.

20. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

OK here we are at 16 weeks, I told everyone they would be mature at 16 weeks, some didn't believe me...
    [​IMG]
    Two large eggs, small "first" egg in the middle.

[​IMG]
    Roo on the left, pullet that is probably laying on right standing.

[​IMG]
    The 2 older hens that laid the bigger eggs, Roo standing in the egg shell supplement.

Rancher

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 12, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Media

KFC

Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
    This is Lavinia!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Yard Dart
  9. TnAndy
  10. Motomom34
  11. Benjamin A. Wood
  12. Benjamin A. Wood
  13. TnAndy
  14. Asia-Off-Grid
  15. Asia-Off-Grid
  16. Asia-Off-Grid
  17. Asia-Off-Grid
  18. Asia-Off-Grid
  19. Asia-Off-Grid