Choke points in everyday life

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by duane, Apr 8, 2018.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

The military has always understood that there are certain points that if they are controlled, control the territory beyond that point. The fort at West Point and the chain across the Hudson was one such point, as was Detroit, New Orleans, the forts at Niagara, etc.
    Today in our everyday life we are faced by literally dozens of such points in our life. Here are a few I have thought about and have pondered what negative effect they will have on me if there are any troubles.

Social security check.
    Banking system.
    Internet.
    Water systems in much of USA.
    Sewer system in much of USA.
    Electrical distribution system.medical system.
    Drug manufacturing and distribution.
    Railroad System.
    Airplane travel.
    Retirement system.
    Food production and transportation.
    Ammunition and component manufacturing.
    Grin storage, milling and distribution.
    Meat, poultry, fish, etc processing and distribution.
    Clothing, shoe and cloth manufacture and distribution.
    Natural gas, propane and other petrochemicals.
    Most bulk metals and metal products.

Something to think about as I live in Southern New Hampshire at 80 years of age, mostly dependent on social security, medicare, and retirement investments. All of our petrochemicals, 97 % of our food, 100 % of our medical drugs, less than 10 fully operational hospitals and a decreasing number of local hospitals. And the list could go for pages and there is really nothing beyond getting more self reliant I can do to change any of it.

ochit, AD1, Motomom34 and 5 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

But, isn't this why we prep? Having stores on hand and the ability to independently replenish what we use is key. Great list!

Have some cash and barter goods on hand
    Have a store of ammunition and a means to reload
    Have a stock of dried, canned, or otherwise preserved protein
    Have a store of grains
    Have a garden, and a store of seeds
    Have shelter and spare clothing, shoes and boots
    Have a means of cooking and heating beyond electricity, natural gas and LPG
    Have a source, store of alternative medications
    Have a source of water and the means to make it potable

ochit, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 5 others like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@duane Everything you named can and will be seriously affected by a Cyber Attack. No doubt about it, they'll be hammered into dust. Even manufacturing which isn't connected to the internet can/will be infected, even an air gap is not a guaranteed safeguard.

All we can do is be prepared as much as possible for when it happens. There is nothing else we can do. Dunerunner's list is a good start.

ochit, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I was down in Belieze a few years ago and got caught in a general strike. There is only two highways into Belieze City and bridges were blocked on both of them with dump-truck loads of dirt. The powerlines into the city were cut, that shut down pretty much everything else. The hotel I was staying in had their own power so I was able to stay on-line all night, spent most of it here on the Monkey chatting with folks. The strike didn't get violent, was more like a big street party than a protest. I ended up having a good time and bought some really cool black coral and conch pearls.

Zimmy, ochit, Motomom34 and 6 others like this.
  5. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Boots.....
    And I need to look to me reloading supplies.
    Been getting lax.

Gator 45/70, HK_User, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  6. duane

duane Monkey+++

No mater how hard I prepare, there are a couple million people within walking distance if desperate enough Can not fight them all, be gray and hide what I can as well as I can. Every group will be trying to steal all my preps, some with a gun, some with government edicts and some by ballot. Don't look good from prep point.
    I can see how it will play out in our state as we use the property tax structure to finance schools, local government, and police, we live on about $25,000 a year and the "civil servants average with benefits about $70,000 a year and scream for more. If you can't afford the tax bill on your house, they will take it in a minute and state that "You shouldn't live in such an expensive house" when in fact you paid $10,000 for it 50 years ago and now the taxes are $5,000 a year.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Cruisin Sloth, Lancer, ochit and 7 others like this.
  7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Knew a Lib Prof that thought Belieze was the Cat's meow. Until she saw the need to sleep with a machete each night.

ochit and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

This is immoral. Property should not be revalued unless refinanced or sold! :mad:

As for the other part of this, you need community. Friends who will mutually defend each other. If you are a Vet., VFW or other military groups might help with that. There may even be folks on this forum who might be able to assist in the mutual defense department as well.

Tempstar and ochit like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I always though that the best “ Choke Point” was to grab’em around the Throat, and squeeze untill they quit wiggling...

Lancer, Gator 45/70, ochit and 3 others like this.
  10. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Survival is just a word sometimes not everyone does, the Alamo defenders for example did not, but their sacrifice allowed for millions today to not live in tyranny. The word sacrifice may not fit as considering they had hope to be reinforced and until the final day may not have grasped that it was a last stand, nonetheless they fought to the last breath to be free and, that is one of the traits Americans have the willingness to fight to the death to be free.

11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Biggest choke point in America is credit.

Ganado, Yard Dart and ochit like this.
  12. ochit

ochit Monkey+

And the interest that Frank-Dodd allowed them to ride in on.

13. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Southern NH, I moved 27 years ago and should have gone a lot sooner. The whole New England area will be a nightmare if the grid goes down. In fact I'll bet the whole eastern 1/3 of the country will be a mess 'til you get far enough south to get away from people (big cities excepted).

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7