Christmas Contest- Now What?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Dec 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Seriously? No one brought a SatPhone? Or one of the many personal locator beacons (PLB) or sat messengers?
    They were not prepared. They deserve an artic clipper with 60mph winds that directly follows a 30 inch snow dump.

Seepalaces, Ura-Ki and oldawg like this.
  2. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

What happened to the 'honor system'? Isn't that a violation of the "Monkey Code"? o_O

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

There are six people in the picture and a seventh person took it. The helicopter looks like it can only hold a max of four including the pilot. Unless multiple helicopters went down you have already been saved. Your next steps are:
    1. Update your FaceBook and other social media status
    2. Prepare to tell you tale to others over drinks and gradually embellish your story
    3. Get a refund

Seepalaces, Bandit99, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If your calling on those Frequencies, you are NOT going to get ANYONE... The Correct Frequencies are 121.5 and 243 Mhz....
    Also the ELT should be activated upon landing, if at all Possible. These transmit on 406Mhz ... and many of these also transmit the GPS Coordinates of the Units....

Dunerunner, Seepalaces, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The scenario in the OP is actually a very good one and bears thought. Perhaps lets consider the picture to be the one post rescue where folks have shown up either having found you (assuming you survived) or you have been able to get to safety. By the size of the helicopter and realizing that you were also hauling hunting gear, then you have the pilot plus two others for a total of three. It looks like a pretty controlled landing so I think you can assume minor injuries if at all.

The question now, is with those resources how did you survive?

Seepalaces and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I would stay with the bird because when I get on them I go to sleep and most likely would not know where I was I have my bag and rifle in my bag I have my GPS and big bag of mixed nuts and water fire making gear and a dollar blanket I would use my GPS to find out where I was and lay out the GPS coordinates in the open area with rocks and brush make a place for three separate fires use the birds fuel for the fire and stay in place the birds manifest time in time out when they don't show up it will get reported and a search for the bird will be found in the open.

7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Here is another view
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Look Ma! No tail rotor)

The sagebrush was the giveaway - Eastern Utah. Spent a lot of time tromping around the AO looking for am Elk to assassinate...

The chopper was brought down by an Elk.
    The tracking collars help wildlife officials monitor elk migration paths and survival rates. The state captures about 1,300 animals each winter, almost all using helicopters, and Tuesday’s downing of the helicopter was the first accident of its kind, he said.

The crew had launched a net it catch the animal, but when that didn’t immediately work the pilot started to slow down so someone could jump out and hobble the elk, Hadley said. As the helicopter slowed down, the elk collided with the rotor, Hadley said. Worst jumping Elk story ever.

Another item - the helio in question had only 2 pax. IOW - too many people standing around.

As to the issues at hand.
    1) Ensure the ELT is functioning
    2) Tune to 121.5 Mhz and broadcast a PANPAN message. at regular interval. (PANPAN Helio November Three Three Eight Hotel Whisky PANPAN) Salt Lake is a major hub for air traffic.
    3) Establish a camp off the edge of the creekbed out of the wind.
    4) Since water is nearby, use one water container to recover some Jet A from the sump drain for use as signal fire.. Port side cargo hatch would make a good 'bowl' to hold the kero. Wet sagebrush and bits of plastic can be added for additional smoke when needed. The aircraft can carry 60 Gallons of fuel.
    It would be nice for cooking some elk while waiting for pickup.

5) Sit tight and wait for the SAR to show up. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Like every one else has already said, Make sure the Automatic Emergency Beacon tripped and is broadcasting, if not, manually Activate the Emergency Beacon and wait! Battery life is not an issue, onboard + portable will keep it running for days! Activate Personal EPRB of at least one person in the group and that will automatically inform all personal on your emergency contact list that you went down and are alive, but currently missing! DO NOT burn JET FUEL, there is plenty of sage and wet fuel to smoke out the valley, so save that fuel for an actual emergency! Stay with the Choppa and stay warm. see if you can right it to mostly level and take turns warming up inside it! Build a camp fire for warmth and to cook up that tasty Elk, the meat shold keep well and feed the group for a few weeks if rationed! Save your emergency preps for if/when you actually need them!
    Don't bother hunting until you need to! Have one person hike to the top of the ridge to see about cell service and call out a MayDay to the local Sheriff and await instructions. Enjoy some Elk cooked the way it should be and be thankful your still among the living!

Seepalaces, oldman11, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  9. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Thanks for the correction. I thought I had it right but should have double checked.

Seepalaces, oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Go hunting as planned. Once you bag something and cooked it near the crash site, rescue will come to share your spoils. Then get you out with a full belly.

Bandit99, oldman11, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  11. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

And anyways... how the hell did we end up in Montana? I got on in Aberdeen, Scotland!!!o_Oo_Oo_O

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Cause I put you there. :p

No cheating!!!! :ROFLMAO: And it is in Montana because it is colder up there.

let's assume thehelicopter went down because they were over the weight limit. Also, pitching tents in that brush? Clearing a spot or moving away from the helicopter? FYI- it may be winter but Colorado just had a brush fire yesterday. You going to start a fire in that brush? Sleeping in individual tents or using the rotors to build a shelter?

oldawg and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Still going hunting.

oldawg, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I don't know helicopters that well mechanically.

Can the bird be cranked for heat, charging radio batteries or keeping the aircraft lights on at night? I don't know if the rotor can be disengaged or if the blades can be removed with basic tools that may be on hand.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  15. sdr

sdr Monkey++

I like discussing scenarios like this. I find it fun. Problem is that there are too many variables to make logical decisions with most. For me the generic responses in this emergency situation is first move away from any immediate dangers. Second is check and treat any injuries. Third is gather info. Location, list of supplies, possible signaling devices, chances of immediate rescue ECT.

Fourth, and possibly the biggest one for me is what type of people am I stranded with. I say "biggest" because I know the problems stressful situations create. Dealing with multiple opinions/personalities can be challenging enough let alone in a life or death situation.

I've taught both my girls my number one rule they do if they ever get lost in the woods. Stay put if possible. Don't go wondering around.

Same thing would apply to me in this scenario.

Stay put (or close by). Start signaling somehow. Minimum for me would be a large smoky fire.

I remember seeing a movie years ago (true story) of a bush pilot with one passenger that crashed in a thick forest. Not sure where. Winter/deep snow. Search and rescue couldn't locate them. They had no provisions to speak of. After quite a long time (weeks months?) They decided to try and walk out. Don't remember much about the movie except how ill prepared they were.

I don't see any real problems in the posted photo. Just the possibility of a long hunting trip.

Preppers never get lost, they just go camping for an extended period of time.

16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That chopper only seats 4

Ura-Ki likes this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

All that appears to have happened is that the chopper landed partially in a ditch all that needs done is grabbing the skids and sliding it onto flat ground . I'll steer and the rest o you pull .

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Allow me to summarize...
    @runswithdogs is "bitch slapping the pilot" because he/she damn well's deserves it for ruining our hunting trip.
    @snake6264 is at high-ground providing oversight and calling in air strikes/arty against any elk that dare to wander into the AO.
    @oldawg is at the local boozing it up because he can and considering helping runwithdogs slap the pilot into next week
    @AndyinEverson is contemplating a preemptive strike against all individuals named 'Donner' - because you can never be too safe.
    @Hanzo Is using the tried and true technic of "He that BBQ's will be found"
    @3M-TA3 is demanding a refund!
    And, Bandit is changing his skivvies and begging for beer (typical!)

Who did I miss?

Is anybody suing this SOB for crashing us, ruining my skivvies, and screwing up our hunting trip? Hey, this is America where disaster is always turned into opportunity.

oldawg likes this.
  19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

You would have to pull the transmission or the main shaft. Both require tools not part of the normal flight load.

Zimmy likes this.
  20. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Not quite, check the ends of the rotors.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7