COFFEE COFFEE! COFFEE!!!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Brokor, Jun 1, 2011.

1. zmon1911

zmon1911 Monkey+++

Hi my name is Michael and I am a coffee junkie!
    Gave up on sugar and cream years ago - black for me.

I love coffee made by just about any method but have been using an "Aeropress" lately - smoothest cup EVER!

As far as machines go - We have a Nepresso that makes excellent espresso and lungos - uses capsules similar to the Keurig, about $.60 a cup

2. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

My wife and I too are coffee junkies. But that is where it ends as we live totally on solar, off the grid. Therefore, it is the old fashoned perc type pot on the stove. If the grid does go down or whatever, you people pileing all your money into the fancy expresso machines and whatnot, will have to do without. We also prefer Folgers reg brand, and do quite nicely with that. When I was a kid, the only way to get coffee , was from the pot on the wood stove. Best coffee in the world. You don't need the fancy dancy elec thingamijigers to make coffee. Waste of time and money.

3. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

You seem to assume that those of us who use "fancy espresso machines and whatnot" that are currently available don't have or know how to use anything else.

Personally, I will use what I find to make the best cup of coffee while the technology is usable. Your position seems to be that we should only use what will be available when the grid goes down and everything goes to crap...in that case, get away from that computer, because it won't be usable then.

Thank you for the advice, but I will continue to take advantage of modern technology right up to the day it is no longer available...then I'll dig out the percolator...

Brokor likes this.
  4. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

My position was never what you should use, but what I prefer, and also what most of my neighbors do use. I have lived off the grid on solar for about 16 years, and although you may read all you want , I already know what will work on solar and what will not. Yes, I could use your cooker, but it takes away from something else needed much more, like my large refer/freezer, chest freezer , tv's , computers etc. I make my entire living on my computers via, my web sites, and they are nec. to my survival . Should the grid go down, they will also go down insofar as public access and buying. As will a lot of other things.

5. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

My point was with regard to the following statement from your prior post:
    While we built our house "on-grid", we have since made appropriate (I believe) preparation for the loss of the grid, using a combination of solar and hydroelectric generation as well as the equipment for wind turbine that can be built in a few days.

Some may not consider me a "pure" prepper because I have chosen to take advantage of every bit of technology available for a comfortable life as long as it is available, while preparing for the day when all of that is no longer available.

Yes, I have an espresso machine, I also have a heat pump, computers, satellite TV and many other creature comforts that rely on the power grid...that does not (at least that I can see) make my preps less effective, it just makes me more comfortable while I can use them. Yes, they will be useless if/when the grid goes down, but having used them will not prevent me in any way from using other methods to make coffee or keep warm.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post, but it seems to me a criticism of those of us who do not choose to live now as we may be forced to live in the future.

BTPost likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Being a 'Prepper" does NOT mean you abandon technology.... It just means you are working toward "Self-sufficency" for you and yours, should a lack of goods and services visit your outfit, from ANY, and all, causes. That's it.... Plan and simple.

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I think it is important to be prepared. There's no shame in using technology to your advantage while you can, either.

Below, I have my Mr. Coffee / Keurig coffee machine as well as a nice little percolator and Coleman dual fuel stove. Come what may, but coffee and tea will be done!
    DSCF1558.JPG

8. sunny71000

sunny71000 Monkey+

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7