Coffee Storage Longterm

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Matteo10572, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

I thought that was what you meant. Ok, got it. But for those who don't have MRE's or have wives like mine, a coffee addict, it is good to have supplies. But my main idea is that it will be a barter item, probably a good one.

2. Matteo10572

Matteo10572 Monkey+

Seeing some much better prices for green coffee beans on ebay but I would have to pack them for storage myself. The roasting process seems pretty easy and straight forward too. Hmmm.....

3. ReconMike78

ReconMike78 Monkey

oh i agree with you 100%...once i aquire a FOB(Forward Operations Base)or BOB(Bugout Operations Base...lol) ill begin to shuttle supplies but till then should the SHTF...ill have to live with what coffee i have in our 72hour packs.

Mike likes this.
  4. Moatengator

Moatengator Monkey

Costco has a brand called "green coffee" unroasted Arabica coffee beans in #10 cans @ 3.75lbs per can. Found it today on Costco's website. I may pick some up. I do have a stash of Folgers freeze dried crystals, but we all know how that tastes.:blah: Just another option.

Mike likes this.
  5. Matteo10572

Matteo10572 Monkey+

Heck yes. That's sounds like a great deal. Cheap and already packaged well.

Maybe get some of these to make coffee since electric coffee makers may not be useful.
    Perfect Tea Ball at Teavana
    | Teavana

or one of these.
    Amazon.com: Francois et Mimi Single-Wall Stainless Steel French Coffee Press (12oz): Kitchen & Dining

And here is a roasting recipe.
    How to Oven Roast Coffee Beans in a Cast-Iron Pot | eHow

Anyone have recommendations for a manual grinder that grinds a consistently course grind to use in a press or ball??

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  6. Mike

One more thing to store with it... Aluminum foil rolls. Trying to roast coffee beans in a kiva is going to be interesting, to say the least. (for those not familiar with a kiva... old domed adobe construction oven similar to an old pizza oven

7. Matteo10572

Matteo10572 Monkey+

8. ReconMike78

ReconMike78 Monkey

this is gonnasound bad but you could go to a head shop they have grinders that potheads use to grind up their w@@d....just a thought

9. slicknickns

slicknickns Monkey

Instant coffee. Lots and lots of Instant coffee. MMMMM.....:)

Mike likes this.
  10. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

I currently have beans roasting in my kitchen. The smell is heavenly. I've been roasting for several years and highly recommend it.

I generally buy beans for around $4/lb. Not a plug, but for general info, I buy from Burman Coffee. No, you probably can't find any for $4/lb, but if you get on their email list, they send out coupon codes and notify when they have sales. I usually buy around 20 lbs when I can get beans for my $4/lb target. I have had my oldest beans for about 5 years and have noticed no degradation when I periodically roast them.

I use a hot air roaster, but have experimented with pan roasting. It's a little uneven and takes a while, but it's doable.

I have an electric burr grinder and a backup (ridiculously expensive) hand burr grinder.

Percolators work, but I find that I like my French press mugs made by Planetary Design. They are double-walled stainless and have two screens instead of the usual one. I have probably purchased seven or eight of them, but I only have four right now. And I only recall giving one away.

If you truly love coffee, you should try roasting your own. However, you will quickly become the biggest coffee snob you know. Some days, I actually envy my father-in-law, who thinks Folger's is as good as it gets.

11. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Green beans will keep for three years, or longer if vacuum packed in food saver type bags. Roasting is not concealable as you can smell it down wind for miles!

Nothing beats fresh roast coffee!!

12. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

Well, that's undoubtedly true. But you could use it as a diversion. Or a trap.

Dunerunner likes this.
  13. Mike

yuck

Pax Mentis likes this.
  14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Or wait for a rainy day or one with strong winds.

Mike likes this.
  15. Mike

Not a coffee snob. Bad enough I'm a whiskey snob. Can't afford many other things to be snobby about. Oh, and cigar snob. Love my macanu

16. Mike

I still remember the field cooks filling an army sock full of coffee and boiling it in a big stainless steel pot. They dipped it out into your mess kit as you went thru the line. Didn't know about the sock till I pulled KP duty.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7