Coffee without a coffee pot

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by kellory, Jul 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You get any beans off it yet? How large does it need to be to start producing, and what kind of yield?

2. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I don't know, it's probably 2 years old now, grew it outside last year, moved it in for the winter, it needs to be re-potted. This is Kona, but it is really an arabica variety, I'm guessing I should see beans in another couple of years, maybe less if I re-pot and move outside and back in for the winter. Popcorn popper for roasting...

Edited to add, there are four plants in that pot.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    Ganado and kellory like this.
  3. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I Have 3 plants about 2' tall. Their beginning to bush out I Mine are about 2 years old now. According to this I should see beans next year!

kellory likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
    Gopherman likes this.
  5. Gopherman

We are ordering a couple different types of Tea Plants soon as well. There is a method of growing and processing tea plants that produces a product called Matcha which is incredibly Beneficial to your health.
    Health Benefits of Matcha Tea - Matcha Source

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    Motomom34, Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  6. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I've done similar, by taking a coffee filter, put the grounds in, then gathering it together at the top, and tying it with a string. Just like a tea bag, sort of! (y)

kellory likes this.
  7. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

And of course you can make tea out just about anything, I have a big splotch of peppermint growing from the runoff of the ducks, I have spearmint that I am just now planting, and I have catmint in a pot, I also have wild Manzanita bushes just about everywhere.

Tea is a good alternative to coffee, and high in vitamin C (normally)

Rancher

Gopherman and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

All true as i have lots of things I make tea out of when I need doctoring. Love mint as a content but straight mint tea... ewww... you don't want to drink too much if it

9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Coffee,water,salt,cold water,fire, and a can. Done.

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My current "four cup" Mr. Coffee is over fifteen years old, and still going strong. Mom's 12 year old Mr. Coffee failed recently, and I gave her the better Mr. Coffee (more bells&whistles) that I used at work for our Coffee Club - it was bought new in about 2004. Still works great.
    The 10-cupper I had before my 4-cupper lasted some 15 years before it failed.
    My family has had very good performance from them, on the average.

11. Gopherman

I have been growing Lemon Balm from a wild plant I found. I mixed it with Passion Fruit Vine leaves, Spearmint and Peppermint which I have grown. Haven't had a cup yet but It smells awesome! Lemon Balm and Passion Fruit leaves have a lot of the same effects so it should be a Knock Me Out Cold Tea!
    I'll Let Ya'll know when I get the nerve to try it!

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Maybe we need a collection for a coffee IV for Kells ;)

kellory likes this.
  13. oarlock

oarlock Monkey+

when you break a carafe head for goodwill about 50 cents

14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Nice thought, but would not work. The coffee maker in question was a delonie (sp?) And the carafe was a size, no other coffee maker would fit. (I tried) either the diameter was wrong, or the height was too tall or too short, and it would not work with the pause and sever lever, which meant, the coffee would boil over. Or not drip, and make a huge mess. If had the be the right size and shape, or replace the machine (which I did).
    Had i known what a POS the Mr. Coffee machine would turn out to be, I would have paid for the delonie carafe, the shipping. And an extra carafe as well as backup.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  15. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Keep us posted on how the coffee plants work!! That is so cool.

Ganado and Marck like this.
  16. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

i have a dollar general 12 cup coffee maker,in which either it or the electric go,when i finally get rid of it.then there's my 8 cup camping percolator from wal mart..i still gotta try it out.and break it in.. :)

17. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

WAY too much technology here. When I'm desperate for coffee, I just cut a couple of lines of Instant out on the counter and roll up a dollar bill.

Two good snorts and I won't be able to blink for an hour.

Ganado, kellory and oldawg like this.
  18. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Ganado likes this.
  19. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Gimme my mug and my Melita pour-through, and I am good to go. "K.I.S.S.", for me. (y)

20. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

1. Alanaana
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Hanzo
  5. Motomom34
  6. Hanzo
  7. Hanzo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7