Collapse of Civilization - What to expect

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dunerunner, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

A recent thread elsewhere on the forum has gotten me to wonder: To what level would mankind sink should there be a worldwide holocaust resulting in the collapse of civilization. No power, No sewage treatment, No running water, No food, and No hope. I'm not seeing the scenarios portrayed in movies. I believe it would be much worse. I don't see people out in the street gawking at the two-mile wide alien spacecraft or the asteroid or comet on its way to destroy the earth. I see people doing whatever they think they can get away with either individually or as a group. I see a total abandonment of common decency. Does anyone think that the majority of peple on this planet can maintain their ethics and moral judgement in such a situation?

STGThndr, Gator 45/70, jim2 and 8 others like this.
  2. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Every man for themselves

3. Dunerunner

This is going to be a short thread...

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

hahaha :LOL:

I am sure that will be the credo of some, particularly psychopaths, sociopaths, loners and those who aren't 'joiners'. But it has to be said, that their prospects of survival are probably going to be much less than those who belong to an extended family group, a clan or a tribe, who can pool knowledge, labour and resources for their own personal survival, and their group's collective survival.

5. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Must not of watched rambo? (Its a joke calm down lol)

Gator 45/70 and enloopious like this.
  6. Dunerunner

Sas.. Chell was referring to my “This is going to be a short thread” post. :)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Dunerunner

There may be groups like, Chelloveck said, that band together and distribute responsibilities as talent would dictate. I would think they would have to have formidable defenses and be heavily armed.

GOG, Gator 45/70, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

We may not have seen it in it's entirety but we have seen the chapters of this story.

My best guess:
    Chicago on any weekend night in the summer.
    Mixed with Portland Chaz Autonomous Zone.
    Mixed with a cattle feedlot.
    Add a dash of covid, flu, dysentery and cholera for flavor.
    Stir well.
    Add some Jewish ghettos, Darfur, Rwanda, Ukraine and some blue helmet heros.

Everyone will be touched except those so far off in the bush that never make contact with the outside world ever.
    If your group is more than a handful, you'll wind up playing the purge game at some time.

Welcome to the punch.

Edit: Upon reflecting, The first few months will be the most horrific as we will get to see starvation and what a parent will do to save their child. The iPhone zombies will typically be turned into slaves or die due to overdoses. Large numbers will perish as skeletons or broken in pieces.

Then the violence really comes. Those that remain are not going to be nice as all the nice have been victimized, used up and discarded. Only the violent will remain. It will be all about resources, keeping them and taking them. Better take notes from Vlad the impaler and line the roads to your borough to keep them away for a while but ultimately, someone is going to have a bigger dick and come and see how strong you really are.

The movies The Postman, MadMax and The Road come to mind. It's not going to be fun.

The ones that die earliest will be the luckiest and morality will have left with them.

We are going back to animalistic mode.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    GOG, Gator 45/70, oldawg and 5 others like this.
  9. chelloveck

Am not much of a Rambo film aficionado (the 'Rambo First Blood' book was much better), but I am familiar with Geoffrey Chaucer's 'The Knight's Tale' wherein the aphorism got its first literary exposure.

there is also an old saying "Every man for himself and devil take the hindmost"..

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The lefty elitists will get their wish..... a massive reduction in global Human population.

Gator 45/70, jim2, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  11. chelloveck

And, most likely, the radical righty elitists will also get their wish...the massive subjugation of the human population under strong man, fascist dictatorships or monarchies. A world of Putins, Orbans, Erdrogans,etc

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  12. Dunerunner

[LMAO][LMAO] Just can’t contain yourself!!

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  13. The way to answer your question (s).
    Would be to turn on your TV.
    I believe most of the things you mentioned, besides the aliens, I have seen recently on the ole boob tube.

14. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

No. I saw on the news just a short while ago that aliens are real. Nobody cared because it was 2021.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Wait! What! Chell please edit your post. A whole paragraph and not one mention of President Trump? EGADS!! Chell see a doctor now, we would miss your bright and cheery wit in the tree. [boozingbuddies]

16. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

After the first month, anyone left will be heavily armed.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and VisuTrac like this.
  17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

There is no "wonder what will happen"

Just look at any failed state in existence today.
    Somalia - starting low and ending even lower

Venezuela - very civilized with western level of living. Yeah. Its the shit now.

Any of the former Soviet states ending in "stan". As in afagrapacrapastan.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  18. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

"Does anyone think that the majority of people on this planet can maintain their ethics and moral judgement in such a situation?"

If you look at history, as long as the population had a means of defending themselves, you shouldn't see total anarchy. Chaos, yes, but not complete anarchy. Look at places like Darfur, Sudan or farther back in history like the 30-year war in Europe. Most the people there were too poor to have firearms or other means of protection which meant power went to the gangs, the war lords. People have a tendency to be polite when they know you might shoot them without consequence in a time of chaos or anarchy. I think you would definitely see a huge increase in violent crime, but people would pull together for mutual defense and those found looting, killing, raping would be dealt with very swiftly and, in truth, cheaply, shot or hung immediately. You can say what you will, but I have seen first-hand that swift and harsh punishment is a HUGE deterrent. I mean that!

So, to stay on point and answer your question (above).... No, not totally; however, they would not keep their ethics and morals that they have now, just not possible. Plus, some will lose their way more than others....

19. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

I don't think the US would devolve into a Hotel Rwanda type of scenario. Those people had machetes and guns and the rest were unarmed. Place them in the south and it would be a short fight. That being said, I don't think we're headed for that type of scenario. People against people is not really where we are at. If there is an opposing force it can be targeted and fought. Today the enemy seems well hidden but controls much from the shadows. But it does seem we are headed for something and at break neck speed. Generals always fight the last war and this is nothing like the last war.

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  20. Dunerunner

OMG

I was expecting an exchange of ideas expressed in written language sprung from members thoughts on this subject. I would like it to remain just that, members thoughts or experiences expressed in an intelligent discussion.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. VisuTrac
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Thunder5Ranch
  6. 3M-TA3
  7. enloopious
  8. Dunerunner
  9. oldman11
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Coyote Ridge