Craig's List idiots

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TnAndy, Jan 15, 2017.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Put a Yamaha 2000 model Grizzly 600 4x4 ATV on there for sale. Owned it since 2003 to get around the farm, but couple years ago, bought an electric golf cart I (and wife) like a lot better....both of us can slide right in versus swinging my arthritic hip up over the ATV seat, so the 4wheeler has spent the last couple years mostly in the basement on a trickle charger....maybe use it once a month, unless it snows and the cart won't go. Nothing wrong with the machine, put new tires on recently, new battery, changed oil, including service manual and some filters/plug/etc with sale.

Put email only as contact.

First email within an hour: "text me a phone number"
    I email back: I have a PHONE and EMAIL....believe it or not, not everybody does text. Sent him the phone number.

2nd tire kicker: "Does it have a title ?"
    No...bill of sale from the neighbor I bought it from, he bought it new from local dealer who still has the records on file because I give them his name so they can look it up to buy parts...I can document chain of ownership if that is an issue.

2nd TK right back "does it have issues, why are you selling"
    I write back "AS THE AD STATES (jeez, is reading a lost art ?) Machine is well maintained, decent shape for it's age, and runs fine. I'm selling because it's either a new hip or a slide in UTV"

oldawg, Sgt Nambu, sec_monkey and 4 others like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you were closer, I would buy it from you, Andy...but the shipping would make it to expensive...

UncleMorgan and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Well, 30 days after SHTF most of these inquisitive types won't be around to irritate the rest of us with dumb questions.

Legion489, UncleMorgan and GOG like this.
  4. TnAndy

Well if you were closer, I'd ride it over there for ya.....except for that water thing.....it ain't got floats.....ahahahaaaa

5. TnAndy

Yeah....really hoping Darwin was on to something.......

UncleMorgan and Oltymer like this.
  6. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

It sounds like a good well maintained vehicle and that makes it worth a fair price. It seems most folks these days think the world owes them a living.
    Good luck with the sale.
    ... and the hip.

UncleMorgan, Sgt Nambu and sec_monkey like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

A Grizzly 600?
    Check with the old ladies home!

LOL

UncleMorgan and Mountainman like this.
  8. TnAndy

Yeah, I looked up the 'comps' and what they were asking.....typically $2500-3000, so I priced it at 2000. Now I'm just waiting for the inevitable "Will you take 1200 for it ?"....ahahahaaaaa. "No, but I'll take 2000 cash, and throw in a tank of gas"......

9. TnAndy

I did.....they only buy American......so I made it a point to tell them their John Deere Gators had Kawasaki engines.....ahahaaaaa

oldawg, Dunerunner, 3M-TA3 and 6 others like this.
  10. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Yeah I bought 2 ATV's about 5 years ago, a 4 wheeler and a 6 wheeler, you would be surprised at the pain in the rear it can be to buy an ATV from out of State that doesn't title or register their ATV's, here in AZ they are both Cycles and Off Highway Vehicles, so to get a MC plate you need a bill of sale, and it must be from a State that doesn't title them, I had to do some fancy footwork at the DMV to get mine registered, but now I can either zoom in the low speed lane of the 4 lane State Hwy, or I can use the dirt beside the road, they do 45-50 on pavement. Polaris 800 4 wheeler, wife got that one, she said zoom zoom, I got the Polaris 500 6 wheeler, I said climb rock outcroppings at a 45 degree angle, no sweat.

Rancher

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I DO live on North American Mainland, however the last 250 miles would be untracked Alaska Wilderness, as there are No Roads or Trails thru that area...

Yea, in Alaska my Yamaha Rhino 660, which came out of Aridzonia, with a Title, and Bill of Sale, is Registered in Alaska as a SnowMobile.... Costs me $30US for 6 Years, and allows me to run on State Roads during the winters.... Only problem with that IS, there are NO STATE ROADS, that connect to the Trail System around here... Oh Well, at least I can sell it, using the State Registration everywhere...

3M-TA3 and UncleMorgan like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

LOL! why people do not call and just get all the questions and such over with in a 2 minute conversation.

13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Funny, I ran into the title thing with my duel sport a few years ago ! I wanted to plate the bike so I could ride on the road! DMV says No Can DO, I says watch this right here, and two weeks later had a title out of Vermont, waltzed back into the DMV and got my plate and tab good for two years! There is a loop hole in the system for getting a plate and title for motor bikes and atv/utv's send a copy of your bill of sale, and request for title with the vin number and the funds to pay for all of it and you will get it done in a few weeks time, then you take your Vermont paperwork in to your State's DMV and they give you your plat for the normal plate fee!

14. Mountain mama

Mountain mama Monkey++

Way to work the system! Love it!

UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Maine is the same way. I have vehicles and trailers registered there and have never been there.
    I live down the road a ways in new Mexico.

UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Lately I've run across several items that scream, "We are illiterate!!!" So I certainly get what you're saying.

I hope you get that ATV sold without a problem! :)

UncleMorgan likes this.
  17. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

When I get a "counter-offer" from a low-baller like that, I have a truly delicious way of handling it.

Here's how it would go, for example, with a $2,500 advertised price for an ATV, and a $1,200.00 low-ball offer:

"Will you take $1,200.00?"

"No, but I'll take $3,000.00, cash."

"Wait a minute--it's only $2,500.000!"

"Well, it was. But that was before we started negotiating. Now it's $3,000.00."

"Okay, How about $1,600?"

"No. I can't take less than $3,500.00."

"&^%#@! (Loose translation) You keep raising the price on me!"

"Well, you're the one that keeps wanting to negotiate. I'm good with just $3,500.00."

"I'll give you $1,800.00."

"That's very sweet of you. I can really use the extra money. But don't you want to buy the ATV, too?"

"No, I mean all I'll pay is $1,800.00."

"Well, if you know someone with an ATV for only $1,800.00, why are you standing here negotiating with me? You need to go buy that one before someone else beats you to it."

"No, I mean I'll only pay $1,800.00 for your ATV."

"Goodness. Whatever gave you that idea? It was listed for $2,500.00, and then you ran the price up to $3,500.00. I thought you wanted to pay more."

"No, I don't want to pay more. I only want to pay $1,800.00."

"Oh. I understand. You don't have enough money."

"Look. I have plenty of money. But I won't pay more than $1,800.00 for the #$%^# ATV!"

"Don't be embarrassed. There are a lot of people that can't afford a $4,000.00 ATV."

"$4,000.00? ARE YOU NUTS?"

"No, I'm not nuts. I'm negotiating. Do you have the $4,500.00 or not?"

"%^&**! OK. OK. I'll give you the #$%^@@ $2,500.00!"

"I'm sorry, but the absolute least I'll take is $2,600.00. That's my last and final offer, and includes all costs of negotiation, up to now. Oh, wait. I have a call... Oh, never mind. I think I have someone on the phone that will pay the whole $2,500.00."

"So you'll sell it them for just $2,500.00? Why not to me?"

"They didn't start negotiating."

At this point the low-baler either pays $2,600.00 of leaves in a huff.

(Huff on, brother! It be good for the lungs!)

Then they either come back later--and pay the $2,600.00--or they send a friend over with $2,500.00 and instructions not to start negotiating.

Actually, after all that I would probably sell the ATV for $100.00 less than the asking price just because negotiating is so much fun. But I never tell them that. It's bad for negotiations.

Beside, I can really use the money.

Always remember that when the price is $2,500.00 and someone offers you $1,200.00 what they are really saying is this:

"$2,500.00? Great! I'll pay it. But you have to let me sneak in later tonight while you're sleeping and steal
    $1,300.00 out of you wallet/pocketbook."

Sort of casts a different light on their offer, wot?

18. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

It's Craigsist. You're not dealing with brain surgeons.

As for titles, my dad lives in Illinois where it is OMFG painful to get a title for a vehicle that never had one, in his case it was his vintage car.

He ended up going through a "title broker" in Alabama, who in turn titled the car in Maine. Apparently, for a a few bucks Maine will issue a title for anything including your pencil sharpener, no questions asked.

So the Maine title was was converted to an Alabama title, which was sent to my dad so he could bring it to the DMV and finally get the car "transferred" and issued an Illinois title, never mind that the car lever left Illinois.

The whole deal cost dad about $50 or so. Very inexpensive compared to what Illinois would have put him through.

The kicker: In Illinois, vintage cars are not required to display license plates! If he were a less honest man, he could have driven that thing forever and no one would ever know it was unregistered.

19. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Repost your ad on c-list in the BARTER section.
    "Excellent condition, low miles, maintained by mean old man and used to keep kids off lawn."
    "Will trade for WHY (what have you?) of equal value $3000."
    "2x Gold Eagles or Maples and she's all yours."

If you get a lol...you'll get a sale.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If I sell something on CL I put the price as non negotiable and that anyone offering less than said amount will be ignored.
    If I get despite enough to put something on CL it's priced to move and I know rat race suckers who barely scrape by pay check to pay check are on there looking for a deal.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7