Crazy freezer idea

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oldman11, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

My BIL had a chest-type freezer quit on him a few years back. Instead of junking it he's using it to store his guns and ammo. He just needed to add an electric moisture absorber.

oldman11 and Ganado like this.
  2. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Is there someway you could use a freezer as a root cellar? I need someway to keep Irish potatoes. I was thinking putting a thermostat that would keep the temp at about 45* and putting a powered vent to circulate the air. I have a chest type freezer that needs replaced. What do you think?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

A couple of solar panels and a deep storage battery on a wheeled cart and you've got your own solar generator, and won't have to burn up your gas if something were to go long term.

I've got mine on an old hand truck with battery below on the "toe" and set up to hang the panels up top. That way I can orient it where sun is best. Have solar controller as well and a spot for an inverter.

Ultimately, I'd like to do a self-contained larger set up with a trailer. If you want to see one commercial set up Google "Yuppie Trailer" and look for their solar option. Pretty slick set up if you camp where there isn't power available, or lose power a lot.

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C Freezer Temperature Controller
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EAL58/?tag=survivalmonke-20

What I use Sir . @oldman11
    Sloth thermo.JPG

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    Tempstar likes this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Also if you use an Inverter to power freezer motors , I use a full wave or NOT A MODIFIED TYPE . SQUARE WAVE TYPE are motor killers , also if the inverter can go to sleep is great .
    for a freezer or a fridge , 1500 watt is minimum size to start the motor and they settle down to 105-140 watt running ,depends on how new they are. R12 type are power hogs , R134a is getting better. @Zimmy
    Min size of wattage for panels is in my system is 500watt @ 21vcd panel for 12VDC.
    Sloth

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    Tempstar likes this.
  1. oil pan 4
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. JC Refuge
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Dunerunner
  10. JC Refuge
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. jefferson
  14. RJFab
  15. jefferson
  16. Motomom34
  17. Dunerunner
  18. Coyote Ridge
  19. duane
  20. TnAndy
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7