Critter Care for THE Survivalist... :)

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by wildernessgal, Nov 5, 2007.

1. wildernessgal

wildernessgal Backwoods is a callin'

Ok, I like to maintain things on my own, and if/when T.S.H.T.F. that will be the only option for everyone, so folk really need to start learnin' to do more for themselves and stop relying on synthetic/chemical dewormers, processed animal feed, and so on. To me all of that IS PART OF SURVIVAL, and these last years we've been doin' it all on own own with great success.

**The first most important thing is to pick HARDY CRITTERS which are EASY-KEEPERS.
    (Which means CULL hard and stop babying/coddling critters which makes 'em WEAK!)

***Second master what is around you... what I mean is MASTER THOSE MEDICINAL HERBS IN CASE YOU NEED 'EM FOR YOUR CRITTERS & YOURSELF!

You don't have to have anything fancy, mostly knowledge, so if you start now it's not a big investment at all. It's mostly learning/knowledge... By starting now, you'll be ahead of the game for sure/in a very good position & when T.S.H.T.F. you'll already know what to do in an emergency. Practice makes PERFECT! :)

If I had to pick ONE BOOK, which is the very BEST , I would most definately pick

The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable By Author Juliette de Bairacli Levy

0571161162.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.

This is a very simplistic classic which is chock full of outstanding/beyond useful info. (even for man) It covers all types of critters, everything from poultry, sheep, goats, cows, horses, dogs to even BEES of all things... AWESOME!!!!!!

Here's some more info below:

Reader Reviews of The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable

Indispensable book for natural/organic livestock raising
    2007-09-29
    We raise our animals naturally/organically. We had been searching for a book that would help us with our animals in such a way medically, if needed. A friend of ours, who has been doing what we're doing for decades, highly recommended this book, telling us it would become our farm "bible". After reading just a few pages of this, we quickly realized what she meant, and we have been reading from it and using it ever since. It is very clearly written, easy to understand, and a joy to use. The author gives a wonderful history of herbal medicines in a farm/livestock setting. She clearly explains how to prepare the herbs (in tinctures, poultices, etc.) for the animals. She breaks it down for the different animals as well. This book is a joy to own-- we're very pleased with our purchase.

A must have for every farm
    2006-03-14
    THis book is a great resource for anyone who wants to keep their animals healthy. Prevention is the best medicine, and this gives all the best prevention tips you could need. Your cattle, horses, sheep, goats, poultry and sheep dogs will thank you for purchasing this book. This book has already paid for it'sself on my farm

If you own goats, own this book
    2003-07-31
    I am a goat farmer for many years now. I have bought many books on goats, veterinary manuals, and so on, but this book is the first one I turn to for animal ailments. Natural rearing methods produce better and healthier kids than any other method. I bought one doe kid who was so ill with a disease that affected her brain that I was going to put her out of her misery--- it was too late for a vet to do any good. With the herbal treatments in this book, the goat recovered and lived over a year in good health.

Herbs are the best!
    2002-03-14
    I have used this book for years and it has done wonders for my animals. It difinitely saved lives of animals the vet had given up on.The information is specific, with easy to understand instructions for preparation of herbs and what/when/why of their use.

--------------------------------------

Best of luck to all, in whatever you choose to do! :)

~Wildernessgal~

2. RobertRogers

RobertRogers Monkey+++

Good information and not often covered.

3. wildernessgal

Hey RR!
    Thanks for the comment... I try my best to inspire folk to "THINK REALISTICALLY" (<--regarding being SELF RELIANT) as many aren't "thinking on that level completely". Seriously if something really bad happens down the road, the vet and all of his many modern unsustainable methods/equipment won't be available to you, or very useful for very long... same goes for people with their MEDS & so on..... No one knows whats gonna happen, or for how long... so for myself/family to "feel at peace" and "confident" we have learned how to make use of everything around us, and are breeding hardy critters which don't need much care. If for some reason "they do have an issue" (<--which is quite rare because we cull out the sickos which ='s healthier non-sick critters) we know what to do, and can do it with things around us which are at hand /available and FREE from Mother Nature's FREE PHARMACY! ;)

This book is AWESOME & for those who want to learn more I shall post some of our other favorite Medicinal Herb Book titles from our home library (here in the future), and hubbie also took an on-line Master Herbalist Course which was beyond helpful!
    *** Could be a GREAT OPTION for others as well! ;) ***

Other than that have an AWESOME DAY & THANKS for the input!
    Sincerely,

Wildernessgal

4. wildernessgal

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7