DAK or SPAM, that is the question

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by azrancher, Apr 14, 2015.

1. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

MMMM made me hungry, I scrambled up a couple of duck eggs with about an ounce of DAK ham, and this batch is not as salty as yesterday. Chicken and Duck eggs will be my staple in a bug-in.

Yard Dart likes this.
  2. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

I still like vienna sausages. But I've eaten K-rations and C-rations. Can't tell anything by what I eat. I will be nice and not get into specifics. But most living creatures are better over a fire than C-rations

Witch Doctor 01, Yard Dart and oldawg like this.
  3. Mike

HAHAHAHAHA. I was wondering when Monte Python Spam would make it into a post, lol. I'll have SPAM, SPAM, SPAM and SPAM.

4. DAK ham here.. it lasts a long time and its cheap. If SHTF ever happens, we will be eating lots of dehydrated egg crystals and DAK ham.

Brokor and Ganado like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

How do you like dehydrated eggs... I've never found good ones.... I'd love it if you have a good way to do it

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have Honeyville Farms dehydrated eggs, and I like them enough to keep them in stock. Still, nothing beats a fresh egg. Back in the day, the dehydrated eggs were all we used in the Army, and I still recall cold mornings in the field when the murmite containers would arrive on the meal convoy, and filled inside was reconstituted dehydrated eggs. I never complained once. I think the Honeyville Farms eggs taste better than the Army eggs.

Mike, Motomom34, HK_User and 3 others like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I cooked up a can of Bacon Spam today and it was pretty great... though the wife gave me the yuck face.
    Spam, eggs, cheddar and salsa..... with a nice cup of coffee, it started the day out the right way. :)

Motomom34, oldawg, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  8. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Spam, though I stock both. Potted Meat is the best value for protein, fat and calories of all the "canned meat like stuff". Scramble it with eggs, add to mac and cheese, over rice or in noodles, or plain wit Ritz crackers.

Brokor and ghrit like this.
  9. Mike

I remember eating "near eggs". bad as they were, they were an improvement on C-rats

Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I too am borderline diabetic (Type 2), so I try to eat healthier these days. But I do like the occasional SPAM, Viennas and even Potted Meat. Been eating it since I was a kid. Beanie Weenies too, but that is mostly just beans.
    I try to limit hotdog intake too.
    Never had a DAK product, though I had always thought it was real ham too. I learned something! May try one sometime, but I'll likely stick with SPAM. A fried SPAM and egg sandwich is good once in a blue moon.

11. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

It is real ham, somebody said, might have been on the "other" forum that SPAM was made from meat from the front shoulder and the DAK ham was from the hind "the ham". The DAK product you can see real chunks/shreds of ham, the SPAM looks to be heavily processed, you can't really see what it is, kind of like hot dogs or vienna sausages.

12. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Spam all the way!

13. PittsburghFrank

PittsburghFrank Monkey+++

Another vote for SPAM.

14. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I read a bunch about how good Bacon Span was. Picked up 2 cans yesterday. :)

ETA:
    We tried a can last night, cut thinly and fried. YUMMY!!!!

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    Yard Dart likes this.
  15. Sgt Prepper

Sgt Prepper Monkey+

We have stocked quite a few cans of Spam because it is high in fat which you need to burn for energy. In fact nutritionists recommend that 25% of the calories stored should be fat and that the daily intake of caloric intake should be 2400 for adults unless you plan on sitting on a couch after the Event. If you plan to garden, patrol, cut wood, gather water, etc, you will need the I did extensive research as part of my food requirement mandate for our retreat family group (we have 11 families). Most packaged dehy or freeze dried foods are short on both calories and fat. The LDS diet is also insufficient on fat being closer to 100%. By the way--I hate Spam. But at $2.50 a can and a variety of methods to prepare--my stores includes many. Most will store in a cool place for 2-4 years but the low sodium ones tend to bloat or swell up more than the regular ones. I had noticed that in my research and stay away from low sodium.

Cruisin Sloth, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Sgt Prepper-baking tanks for sodium tip. I had to laugh as I read 'few cans of Span' as 'stocked quite a few cars of Spam' eeek!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7