Dealing with unexpected hurt

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Thaddius Bickerton, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Today my back bothers me, and I am just toughing it out and doing what needs doing.

A few weeks ago I caught one of those doomsday prepper shows that had this fellow that shot or the slide ended up ripping off a part of his thumb.

He sat down and ended up passing out.

It ran through my mind that when we get a hurt, what looks like a little one can end up making it impossible to continue to function at our normal levels.

So many armchair warriors seem to think that they can tough their way through being wounded and still carry the fight to the finish and win.

Over the years I have seen small things take guys out of action, and big things that should have stopped someone in their tracks be ignored, at least until the situation allowed them time to deal with the trouble.

There is a limit that each one of us has, and in many cases we cannot test that limit until some bad thing puts us to the test.

I'm not even sure we can do anything except hope for the best while preparing for the worst to happen.

For example I can get by with this back thing bothering me, but I also know that it limits how fast I can move, and also causes me to "hang up" to tense through a spat of pain.

Having had this happen before I kind of know how it effects me and can plan according.

There are things to do that one can test. For example, my oldest went as long as he could without falling asleep, and when talking about it he noted that after about 48 hours he was starting to fall of to the point where many things probably ought not be attempted like shaving with a straight razor or working at a forge.

Also that the more tired he became the more important deliberate thought out actions became to performing some normally simple task.

I thought If I bothered to post this thinking, that perhaps others would take a minute to wonder what their limits might be and how they could handle stuff like that.

One thing I note is that when something like this happens it is of huge benefit to have others around you that will step up and help cover your back.

Made me think of a couple of sayings:

*No man is an island*
    *A man has got to know his limitations*

Also drove home to me the importance of a group vs. being a loner, and of having a home vs a backpack.

Just some food for thought, but pretty important thought IMHO< YMMV

Thad

2. davidsdesire

davidsdesire Monkey

fully agree! DH is not a spring chicken any more and even when he was, he wasn't a moose of a man. And I, of course, am a delicate flower. ;) Neither of us is skilled in home repair, mechanics and many other survival skills we would need. We will have to hire nearly everything done when we build the yurt and that's ok.

We also have to keep in mind that, as you said, our bodies are a bit more frail than they were 20 years ago. I am more prone to a bout of innergestion and I'm not as sure-footed or fearless as I used to be.

I am fortunate that dh is a physician so he can treat injuries but I think it's prolly best to avoid them in the first place.

I have said for many years, the two most important things to know are your strengths and your limitations and act accordingly.

Thaddius Bickerton likes this.
  3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I recently ripped the distal biceps tendon off the bone.
    I was 300 feet from the ground at the time and had to descend a ladder with extremely limited use of the injured arm.

It made me realize that even though I tend to lean towards natural remedies and cures, there are some things that require surgery to repair. An injury like this would be a game changer without clean, medical procedures available to fix them.

One more chapter in my "Things you need to know after turning 40" book.

4. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I think alot of it also is the drive to survive I have not only been a lifer L.E.O. I have worked on EMS as an extra money maker. Plus I get free needed training. My point is I have seen harden vets go into a location where blood and guts are running down the wall. No problems they go in control the area and secure the victim all while telling everyone that it's not that bad. Then when they get a scratch and it bleeds the mindset of its the end of the world sets in for them. A person with a little mind conditioning and what if thoughts would help harden the survival instinct. I also limit what ever pain killer to help the body learn to feel what pain is and learn how to overcome. I think that is alot of todays problem with injuries. Sprained ankle lower-tab broke finger oxycotton. When most of use who work in jobs where we get hurt and feel pain at the end of the day learn to push through it. Then the desk jockey gets a paper cut and cries for a week.

scrapman21009 and wrc223 like this.
  5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I fully agree and think about this a lot.

I've had food poisoning and gout a couple of times. Especially with gout, you are completely incapacitated until it goes away.

A tooth issue is the same way.

You're exactly right...it's the little things that will slow you down and cause you grief.

6. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I've notice the past few years my limits are starting to be less with a bad knee.

7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

8. forgot where I heard it but I still use the old saying"

pain is what let's you know you are still alive.

Of course having an "off switch" after noticing the problem might be nice if it left the mind not zombified like a lot of pain meds.

Truth be told much more pain than is typically thought possible can be managed until that point where it cannot. (different for everyone and probably each day for each individual)

At least I'm still moving and not bed ridden today.

Having a DR is a huge family asset, Talk about a skill that people will trade for to do things like build a yurt. Yall can probably trade / barter all the work done if hubby wants to do some check ups / write some prescriptions etc.

And I bet ya'll have a med emergency kit that makes mine look primitive. :)

Have a good day and keep grinning so everyone wonders what ya been up to.

chelloveck and melbo like this.
  9. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

Keep in mind, different people have different tolerance levels for different types of "pain"..

My wife can't handle a papercut, yet she gave natural birth without pain meds.. And wants to do it again..

I cant even imagine trying to pop a watermelon outta my loins..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7