Deep dive on EMPs

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by The_Prepared, Mar 10, 2019.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes

2. No

3. I do now

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Prepared

The_Prepared Derpy Monkey

Faraday cage?

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I disconnect all antennas when not in use and have backup devices stored in an old microwave. Simply disconnecting antennas,though, is likely adequate unless it's a direct hit by a large CME.

The_Prepared likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My questions @The_Prepared are, Have you ever built a Faraday Cage? and how did you test it?

4. The_Prepared

The_Prepared Derpy Monkey

I have not personally built a faraday cage, mostly for the same reasons as @3M-TA3. But we've learned a lot about the problems in the way most people/companies/govs construct them etc etc, like paint gaps, non-welded joints, etc.

5. BTPost

Well, then you have Firsthand No Experience in the technology you are commenting on... I have built a few, over the years, for a few different Federal and Private entities... and tested the efficency of the isolation, with State of the Art Spectrum Analysers and Wide-Band RF Sources... down below 150db... This is NOT trivial Technology, but assumptions can be formulated, from practicle experience, in the design and implimintation of such a Cage... An adequate solution for reasonable isolation, usually can be had, cheaply, by buried Steel boxes with interlocking seems, under Foot or two of wet soil... If money is No Object, then there a whole new set of Rules of Thumb, for construction of such Enclousers,,,

oldman11, Tempstar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

trash needs to be exposed wherever it gets posted - it's a totally crap article - only thing worse is your childish attempt to summerize it >>>>>> try understanding a SHTF before you start posting and try to learn between fact and prepper myth ....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2019
    Cruisin Sloth and Tempstar like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Instead of just saying it is trash, it would be helpful to nicely explain what you have issues with in the article. Others are reading this thread and a clear explanation would be appreciated. Educate us why you do not like the article

Please note: the author of the article should define the difference between and EMP and a CME. The article is calling a CME an EMP. Scientifically there is a difference

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    SB21, Ganado and oldman11 like this.
  8. BTPost

A lot more than just a difference... They are Totally different Things, caused by Totally Different Events, that may or MAY NOT, have similar effects, and, or, outcomes...

mysterymet and oldman11 like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Very much so. CME is a particulate emission originating in the sun, and ONLY from the sun. EMP is a result of interaction between very high frequency photons and various other "stuff" in a magnetic field regardless of source. A CME MAY or may NOT cause an EMP of significant proportions.

After having tested an EMP proof structure (don't ask, it is military) I can tell you that preparing for an event of that magnitude is not practical nor cheap. You MAY or may not be affected by an EMP, but it's an odds on bet that if you get hit with one, you will be dead from the direct burst radiation. If it makes you happy to make a faraday cage to keep some stuff in, go for it. You'll be miles ahead perfecting primitive skills than trying to preserve modern hardware.

deMolay and Ganado like this.
  1. DKR
  2. Waydah
  3. UncleMorgan
  4. Ganado
  5. apache235
  6. scpn
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Lancer
  10. Lancer
    Resource

EMP theory 2018-04-11

Stumbled across this while looking for old schematics.
    Posted By: Lancer, Apr 11, 2018 in category: Communications
  11. 3M-TA3
  12. arleigh
  13. Witch Doctor 01
  14. T. Riley
  15. Yard Dart
  16. Dusty308
  17. Motomom34
  18. Bishop
  19. nomres
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.