Defending caches against metal detectors

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Oltymer, Jul 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I have huge TVA power lines and a natural gas pipe line near my house. I bet that there is a lot of scrap metal in the ground...just waiting to mess with a metal detector. Also, with a shovel and some scrap metal you could litter the countryside with fake arms and ammo caches. Maybe they will get tired and stop looking.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

safe bet >>>>> you'll be digging up your caches more than trying to conceal them when the "people" with the detectors are on the roam ....

3. If someone were looking for a cache, would they be tipped off to the presence of a target when there are numerous decoys also buried in the area?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

It's like real estate. The most important thing about a cache is location, location, location.

cache
    /kaSH/
    noun
    noun: cache; plural noun: caches
    a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place.
    "an arms cache"

I don't see anything in the definition about the cache being buried. Unless you live in the middle of the forest, there are plenty of nice dry forgotten places that you'll be able to access and check on without looking suspicious. It just takes imagination.

5. hot diggity

Sounds like hunting over bait.

6. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Would an empty boat trailer be a tipoff that the cache has been moved? Asking for a friend.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and hot diggity like this.
  7. hot diggity

After Hurricane Florence and previous hurricanes I find piles of old shingles in the woods. Over time they become overgrown mounds. Nobody ever cleans them up. (Govt. land) It seems like you'd be able to cache stuff in such a mound and keep it dry and above ground where you could observe it from a distance. You could even accelerate its absorption into the scenery by seeding the pile as you go. Plenty of nails and tin in old shingle piles to deter detectors.

8. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Remember in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - where the stash was? Imagination is the key to success!

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Remember Dexter ? The series about a serial killer in Florida.

oldman11 likes this.
  1. duane
  2. deMolay
  3. Oltymer
  4. T. Riley
  5. Meat
  6. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7