Define "Prepper"

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by offgrittyt, Feb 14, 2020.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

Don't see a need to list prepping as a future tense. Live in New Hampshire, heat with wood, have fuel oil furnace as a backup, last tank lasted 7 years or so and neighbor who has similar sized house spends about $2,000 a year on fuel oil. The life style of being at least some what self reliant can save you money, make life more comfortable, and keep you active. We like eating out of our garden and greenhouse, having several different water supplies, have a few years wood ahead, etc. The wife cooks a lot of things from scratch, $5 worth of veggie soup will give us a couple meals and some for the freezer. Don't see a need to be paranoid about the future but it sure helps if the things you do to prepare for it makes your life more comfortable, keeps you happy and active, and saves you money. Bread in the oven, soup on the wood stove, I am warm and at computer, wife at 80 years of age reading and listening to music, 10 year dog keeping an eye on us, and I am 82. They keep pushing us to go to the Senior Center, wife and I both agree that it is for old people and we aren't ready to sit there and play bingo and drink coffee for 6 hours a day.YMMV.

2. offgrittyt

offgrittyt You gonna eat that?

Thank you Sourdough for participating in SAR.
    I'm not a ham but could be as I know way more than most human beans need to know about the RF, but that's another life, another story for another time maybe.

"Prepping is more than just material things... It's attitude, willingness to help your neighbor and a willingness to be helped if needed. There is a certain amount of back and forth required to build that trust and understanding. Those are the people you can count on. All that is good but always have a good ace in the hole, just in case.... as always YMMV. 73's"
    Dang, couldn't have said it better myself brother, thank you for reminding me of that too.

Good luck with your challenges, I see wood splitting in your future.

73's backatcha, OG.

PS: I just got in from my walk here's a couple of photos I will share with you-all. FYI, prepping to me means to continually become more compassionate regarding the struggles of others, to live deliberately and centered, to be an example to others of actively living long and prospering and to die as healthy as possible!
    IMG_20200216_145405. IMG_20200216_145434. IMG_20200216_150232.

IMG_20200216_153804.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    sourdough145 likes this.
  3. offgrittyt

offgrittyt You gonna eat that?

I remember Aesops Fables as a kid BC, (before computers), when we had books in the house!

Sounds really nice what you have going there Duane and that you are very much still able to do what needs doing, so what if it is at your own pace instead of the pace dictated by others. Living independently to the last gunshot is in my opinion the very core definition of living fully. Continue to Be Prepared and when need be, stubborn!

Peace, OG

PS: Is drinking coffee for 6 hours a day a bad thing? Should I cut down to five?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2020
    duane likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7