Dehydrated Potato Purchase

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Mountainman, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Purchased this a couple months ago and wanted to let everyone in the NW know about it. Is also for everyone else but shipping cost would be more. The price is 65 cents per pound but the shipping cost for up to 1440 pounds, at least to me on the opposite side of the state, was $75. They charge a pallet shipping price whether you order one 40 pound bag or all the way up to a full pallet. Vacuum sealed what I received except for some to try out, very good taste.

Oregon Potato Co

2. INRICK

INRICK Monkey+

thanks for the heads up.

3. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Cool, how long will dehydrated potato last in sealed mylar bags with oxy absorbers? I have been thinking about buying enough to fill several quart bags and then place them in a 5 gallon bucket.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It will last forever if you can keep it sealed and in temps less than 70 F. Will it retain all of its nutritional value forever? No. After a few years, the vitamin/mineral content will start to slowly degrade.

Foods with little to no moisture content and kept cool, dry, and free from oxygen will keep forever -It just wouldn't be too nutritious after a hundred years or so. We have discovered food kept in urns in Egypt that was still intact.

5. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I wonder what the nutrition value of the Egyptian food was after that much time. Probably very little if anything.

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

The honey was still good as was the beer and the mead if i recall correctly

7. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

FYI, the LDS home storage info shows their potato flakes, canned or mylar bagged with oxygen absorber, has a 30 year shelf life. Other items on the list have a very short shelf life, so I'm assuming they rate everything in a way where there is good retained nutritional value in whatever people eat.

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Thanks for sharing!

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. DKR
  12. DKR
  13. apache235
  14. Ganado
  15. alaskachick
  16. Motomom34
  17. Bandit99
  18. Asia-Off-Grid