Dehydration: Steam Blanching with a Rice cooker?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ajax, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Does anyone know how you steam blanch with a rice cooker? I remember reading somewhere that you can do it this way but it didn't say how and i can't find anything online about it.

I am going to do a batch of carrots next week and am looking for a way to make the blanching easier, last time I steam blanched with a pot, not too bad but whatever works best.

Off the top of my head it seems like adding preped carrots like you would add rice, add water and once steam starts coming out the little steam hole give it three minutes and take them out. Although that sounds more like boil blanching them.

Also, when you blanch do you need to dip in ice cold water or just tap cold water?

Thanks.

2. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Arg, no one knows? Maybe you just use a steam basket and place it in the rice cooker.

I am thinking about justy buying one of those big pan steamers that you can place on top of a pot.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I use a BIG stock pot, a little water to about 1 inch depth, and put in a stainless steel spaghetti strainer/colander, to hold the veggies!
    I have yet to water cool my foods. I let them cook 3/4 of the way done, (good at guesstimating!) and then place them in the dehydrator trays while they are still hot.
    I guess it differs from most.
    I just did some eggplant and that one is tricky!
    It can cook thru before you know it.
    You can end up with 3rd graders paste!
    As far as I can see, there is NO reason you can't use a rice steamer to cook/blanch your foods.
    Bill

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7