Describe the attributes of the Realistic

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by GhettoPass, Dec 17, 2014.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I for one am not at all sure how to provide info you might be able to use. Moreover, discussing the reasons I am where I am is a serious breach of my OPSEC. Now, if you put your ideas out, you will get constructive criticism, pros and cons, from the Monkeys. For more accurate critiques, you'll need to describe what your intents are. Defense? Self sufficient power? Uninterruptible water? How many kids and other family are you prepping to sustain and for how long? What is the worst case scenario you are considering?

It is surely not my intent to win friends, and if by being critical influences your thinking, I'm good with that. Again, I suggest some reading on the site, and getting comfortable with who and what you find.

That all said, digging into the side of a hill has pros and cons, obviously. Pros, you can save a lot of power with earth as your insulation, and it's a nearly trivial task to go with a ground source heat pump for heating and cooling. Cons, your ability to see an approaching threat is nearly non existent, and the deeper in the earth you go, the more artificial light you will need. Neutral, Google Earth deletes your concealment consideration entirely other than from casual passersby. Bear in mind that trees cut your field of fire all the way to the tree line.
    BTW, I'd be inclined to go for a southeast exposure, somewhat depending on your latitude, warmer winter warming early, cooler summer afternoons. Given your stated location, might just swing all the way east.

(No, a moat won't work here. Hill is too steep, backhoe work is expensive, I don't have a ready source for shark food, and crocs don't like frozen water too awful well --)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

who cares what they like? keep 'em mean....;)

3. In that area I would say easy walking distance from a moving waterway but too far to walk from town. Plenty of places like that in N Alabama S Tenn area

I like the idea of being near water for a whole host of reasons and far enough from town that urban unrest will not likely wander to my doorstep.

GhettoPass likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7