Diesel Generator 5,000 KW, 6,500 surge "All Power"

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by azrancher, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Take a few pix & we will let you know .
    My kubotas on shut done pull the "rack " known as fuel rack to shift the helix plungers to stop fuel being squeezed from 3 psi to 25,000 for injection , like most industrial diesels , some have a electric solenoid that stops the 3 psi fuel entering the helix & plunger of the fuel pump to the injector . Using a compression release for shut down is not good in my eyes , JAKE - BRAKES are a type of compression release of such BUT are engineered to do just that for it's designed engine ,and will not stop an engine due to governor control limits .

I remember in the 70s seeing a semi tractor that had the run-away flap pulled @ Detroit Diesel Hoffers , truck did torque twists , right front tire up to left next time , air filter had exhaust coming out every other time . Screaming Deamons of the worst fuel economy but pull , 12V92s with twin turbos ..

Sloth

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Lol, Sweet, Never seen one.
    How about the MEP ?
    The opposed piston submarine engine converted from diesel to nat. gas.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Say what? Not for submarine use.

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yeah, They existed
    Fairbank Morse submarine diesel engine.

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

ghrit, You may know these as Fairbanks Morse engines, When Colt Ind. bought a bunch of them and converted to natural gas they were renamed MEP, We referred to them as More Expense Parts, I lived with 2 of these opposed piston, 2 cycle, 24 spark plugs and 24 sniffer valves piles of junk, They were born diesel and died natural gas in the Gulf.
    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE...model-38//RK=0/RS=gi9_r.NdfIvboj__F4s9LgO3lTk-

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Link forbidden on yahoo

7. kellory

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. ghrit

Ok, I'll buy the conversion, but not for unterseebooten. Ol' Shaky Jake (6 cyl emer gen set, not main propulsion) did well for us right up until the aux gang tried to compress water. Changing out an upper crank underway was a treat, let me tell you right off the bat.

And yes, I've seen start on oil, run on gas (or oil) machines in a couple land applications involving digester gas (roughly 60% methane, the rest inert.) There have also been some oil ignition types with small chambers to squeeze and ignite a small oil charge and blow hot gas into the combustion chamber to ignite a gas air mix; no spark, full diesel.

I would not be surprised to hear of some surface ships running on gas either LNG or CNG, but doesn't sound reasonable with piston engines. Turbines, maybe.

Those machines in post 24 and 27 are NOT submarine engines, nor do I think (tho' I can't be sure) that they are opposed piston. Oil platforms?

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Opposed Piston Model 38 8 1/8
    Opposed Piston (OP) The Fairbanks Morse Opposed Piston (OP) engine has been designed and developed for a wide array of electrical power generation and heavy industrial applications. You will find OP engines propelling ships, driving locomotives, powering natural gas compressors, running chillers and pump drives, and producing electricity in a variety of marine and stationary applications. OP engines have even provided standby power for the country's most critical applications, including take-home power for nuclear submarines, emergency reactor cooling in nuclear power facilities, and emergency power for vital life support and telecommunications networks. This high efficiency and low emission engine results in economic power generation. When equipped with Enviro-Design®, dual-fuel technology, the OP engine is ideally suited for low-cost electric power production and is one of the most efficient low-emission natural gas engines available in the industry. 178. Here....

10. kellory

Fairbanks-Morse 38 8-1/8 opposed-piston diesel engines on the submarine USS Pampanito

(Caption under photo of the top of two links I gave)

11. ghrit

Yes, those are main propulsion, not aux or emer. They are oil fueled, NOT nat gas conversions as implied in post 22.

12. kellory

I know nothing of the conversions, only that the engines were there.

13. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

And then you have this for a large engine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Over 4000 hp which may not seem spectacular but it can do at 1800 rpm! That is a big deal in that it can couple direct to a genset for 60 hz power with no speed stepup transmission.
    [​IMG]
    3.5 million watts!

AT

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Trust me, I lost part of my hearing around these, They were in the Gulf of Mexico at Ship Shoal 219-B, They could NOT hold up to continuous 24 hour per day operations, We had a lot of downtime and parts were very expensive, Nothing implied, I was there!

15. ghrit

Airtime likes this.
  16. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

We sure drifted or motored away from the question in the OP. Did we answer it enough for you?

I think our answer boils down to don't fret not closing the valve between operations, don't operate it if there is natural gas, propane, LP, etc. in the air. And if it gets really really worn out but still runs, keep a rag handy to stuff the air intake to stop if it tends to run-on a bit upon shut down.

So, are you storing much fuel? I recently put up four 55 gal drums sealed up nice and tight with winter blend diesel for my genset. That should get me roughly 2 hours a day for 6 months.

AT

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    kellory likes this.
  17. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Ah yes that small error I wish I had 50 KW...

Question answered, I'm trying to score a used 1,000 gallon Butane tank from the Propane company and convert it to store red diesel, currently have old solar water tanks, 3 each 120 gallons, I filled them when it was $2.25/gallon here. The Genset is an APG3201N, Engine is a 418cc (that sounds large to me for a single cylinder) made by ching ching ... Changhou Power Machinery. Here are the specs APG3201N | AllPowerAmerica

18. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Looks like a single cyl diesel , must run @ 3600 rpm for the wattage out. 1800 rpm is a lot more fuel sipping .
    I think those are rebranded & I've seen them @ a few auto stores.
    One thing I heard is the parts are impossible to get.

Sloth

19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a Note, here.... It has been my experience that Chinese Diesels are problematic for getting ReBuild Parts, especially Bearings. This is due to the fact that they use whatever Bering is cheapest at the tme of production, and they actual bearing sizes can vary for each production Run of the engine. So f you didn't get a complete Rebuild Kit when you bought it, you may find that the Bearings are no longer available, or even in production.

20. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Nice plan. I decided on 55 gal drums as I can store them in 2-3 different buildings on the homestead, can load and transport them in a pickup. I have been able to buy on-highway diesel at Kroger's for less than off-highway delivered to the farm and then also used fuel points from buying Amazon gift cards to drop the price a buck a gallon. And there is a fundamental benefit in that I do not have all my fuel eggs in one basket.

I do have a 300 gal fuel tank but it's set up with a pump and vents for dispensing fuel. Not quite sure what I'll ultimately do with it. To keep diesel for decades, a tank needs to be sealed to keep air exchange and hence water ingress to zero so it would need some work for a long term storage option.

Have you installed transfer switches, etc. such that you can power critical items without running extension cords all around?

AT

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7