Diesel PU Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by jim, Aug 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

Next year, I'd like to buy a used 3/4 to 1 ton pickup diesel with an automatic tranny cause I'm too cheap to buy a new one. Want to save money. Any suggestions as to which one and why?

Thanks
    jim

2. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

From friends that have them:
    There's the Cummins diesel and everything else.
    Dodge and the Cummins. The engine will outlast two truck frames. Early year, '88, got best fuel economy. Still gets good mileage pulling trailer. Only downside appears to be the weight of the engine wears out the front end.

7.3 liter Ford would be second choice. Loads of torque, better mileage than the new Cummins. 6.0 liter Ford had some problems on introduction, majority appears to be software bugs.

Duramax good engine, first year transmission average life about 45,000 miles.

3. jim

I really dislike the twin I-beam Ford front ends. Are they different or better on the 3/4 ton and one ton trucks?

jim

4. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I am way out of the loop on trucks and engines, however I do have experience running Heavy Equipment. I recommend a Cummins over all unless of course you happen to find a truck with a Catepillar diesel engine. :D

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

'01 Dodge w/ Cummins here.
    If I could do it again, I'd buy an earlier model that uses a Mechanical Fuel Pump. Mine has the dreaded Bosch VP44 and the first one was replaced under Warranty. I've been limping on this one for 6 months now as I hate to fork up the $3500 to fix it.

6. jim

Yeah, I'd definitely want the mechanical fuel pump. Reliability, economy, and EMP are my worries.

jim

7. Bogie

Bogie Monkey+++

Look around for a 90-93 Dodge 250 or 350 with the Cummins they usually can be found fairly cheap since alot are being used for work trucks it will probally need some body work but that shuld not be a major factor. Body parts are basically the same for ALL Dodge trucks from 74-93 there are plenty of parts out there :D

8. NY PRO

NY PRO Monkey+++

I've had 4 F-350 Fords in the last 4 years (I buy 2 at a time). I bought all of them 2-3 years old with only 40-50,000 miles on them for about $26,000 each rather than the $50,000 a new one costs. Buying any vehicle after it's 2-3 years old is best because they depreciate rapidly in the first 2-3 years. I put at least 120,000 miles on them before I trade for another one. Diesels are just being broken in at that point. They're made to out last gas engines by 15 to 1 ratio. It's the chassis that wear out first.(a bedliner helps delay this) If you keep the oil and fuel filter changes up,they'll last for 3 million miles or more!

Plus you can use heating oil with no mods(and other oils with some mods) in a pinch! (Just don't let the gov't catch you or it's tax evasion!:eek: )

1. Clownbear69
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Yard Dart
  4. BenP
  5. Legion489
  6. Tikka
  7. Minuteman
  8. LoganW
  9. Alpha Dog
  10. Minuteman
  11. Minuteman
  12. Seacowboys