DIY Alcohol Stove video. Tips, Ideas?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ajax, Mar 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

This seems like a pretty good tutorial on how to make a small stove. I don't have any experience with stoves but according to this video if you had one gallon of denatured alcohol it would last for about 22 hours of cook time.

What do you guys think?

Could something like this be done with a old stainless steel thermos? It seems like a SS thermos would hold up longer than a coke can would.

Do the times seem pretty good for one ounce of fuel or can you get better performance with a store bought stove? I like the idea of using so many different fuels in a stove like this.

2. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I keep a couple "penny type" stoves in the gear. They work for that quick cup or a ramen lunch. They can be made in different sizes by just scaling up(or down). Google penny or coke can stoves and you get a wealth of ideas for them and many other type hobo/hiking/emergency types using all different fuels. 22 hours on a penny stove with 128 ounces of alcohol is pretty optimistic. More like 2-3 ounces for 8-15 minutes. But they’re cheap to keep and great for projects for the kids for camping. BUD aluminum bottles are the most fun to work with.But you gotta empty the darn things first.;)

3. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Unless I misunderstood it in the video he used 1 ounce of fuel and cooked a total of about 10 - 11 minutes with 7.5 or so minutes of boiling water.

4. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

With perfect absorbant and very accurate drilling maybe. Not saying he doesn’t get that kind of mileage but most of us don't. Build a couple of different designs and check them out. Like I said, they have a place and cost pennies to build.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Ganado
  3. Dunerunner
  4. john316
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Ganado
  12. oldman11