Do it yourself fabric waterproofing

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Merkun, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Seepalaces, Brokor, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Wonder if this would work in a squirt bottle ?

Seepalaces and Zimmy like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Sounds like it would effectively eliminate any breathability of the fabric, but waterproof it would. I would think good for canvas painters drop cloths for a shelter and maybe even a water bag.

Seepalaces, Brokor and Zimmy like this.
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

The old waterproofing we used as kids worked well if it didn't burn. Mixed Coleman fuel and wax. Breaths, repels water etc, also burns like crazy and is darn near explosive until dry and the vapors will flow for many feet and fire will travel back to can. Saw more than one tent go up as a child. Oldest water proofing was linseed oil and that is what the old timers called oil skins.

5. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Interesting... report back after you've tried it... ;)

6. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I got to thinking about this, and perhaps mineral spirits isn't the best, how about acetone or MEK, it would dry faster.

Rancher

7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Linseed oil is super bad for spontaneous combustion so store your rags carefully until done putting off vapors.

Methyl ethyl ketone smells gawdawful to me. Smells like a compost pile of wet rotting flowers being stirred by a sweaty diabetic.

Seepalaces likes this.
  8. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Hmmm Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) must be some really good stuff then, I'm surprised that the EPA and FDA haven't banned it yet like Tri Chloro Ethylene, that was some really good stuff. I'm stockpiling Glyphospate (Roundup) now as I expect it will be gone soon.

Rancher

Zimmy and Seepalaces like this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yes, and if you're trying to waterproof man made materials, shame on you for using solvent products at all. But, for natural materials like cotton canvas, just about any solvent that will dry might be suitable. I never thought about using silicone before, wonder how it holds up over time.

10. duane

duane Monkey+++

With the old linseed oil based paint, most painters stored their rags in special made cans of water. Grandad always did, then hung them up on a line and let them dry.

oldawg likes this.
  11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

You mean "Glyphosate". Reviews are mixed on it's toxicity.

12. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

1,1,1 Tricloroethane was awesome

13. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Ethane/Ethylene that is why I became an EE instead of a CE. It sure would get you high!
    Rancher

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7