Dodge Journey vs Subaru Forester

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TheEconomist, Jan 3, 2013.

1. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

love the #1 spot...lol

2. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

:lol:I live in a city that is chok-full of les beaux. I see these vehicles all the time.

That Mercedes is on there because it is an expensive Forrester. The only thing they left out were CR-Vs. I have a theory that les beaux choose these cars because they mostly all have dogs. Every time I see one of those cars, it usually has the following stickers:
    1. the equal sign
    2. a COEXIST sticker
    3. my dog is smarter than your honor roll student
    Another observation, probably 90% of the "couples" could be sisters in terms of looks. It must be the ultimate sign of narcissism.

UGRev likes this.
  3. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

The payment isnt an issue and neither is cash at the moment. If my bank isnt here in 60 months then my loan wont be either. Kinda makes it a moot point. Baby has clothes and my wife is the babies food if you get me. We have a food supply, but it does need to be bigger.

Anyhow, I understand where you are coming from and thanks for your post!

4. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

What if something happens and she dies? What if her milk dries up? ...gets sick. Got a back-up plan? You're not thinking about worst-case scenarios. This is borderline sheeple thinking.

Do you even have 30 days of food (to where you wouldn't need to go to a store if you had to??) I think you need to sit down and think about your priorities--a new car is a bad purchase. There's no way to defend that if you have a prepper mentality.

5. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

I totally agree with what you said, but remember.. not everyone is on "full bore prep" mode. Not even me. My primary prep pressure is the economy. I'm almost certain this will be the primary cause of disaster in this country. I do have preps for extreme weather mostly thanks you guys here gently smacking my ego around as I read your posts. I know I am still woefully under-prepared, but I still live in mainstream life. The moment I step out of that, I'm "Weird" to the rest of them. I think this is where he is coming from.

TheEconomist likes this.
  6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

OK. I can see that and agree. But, he WAS asking for advice and does have a kid on the way.

Kids change things . . . or should. The worst thing I can think of is my kids starving because of my poor decisions.

I don't like prepping. I'd rather play guitars, drink beer, and go fishing. As a matter of fact, I don't like anything about this prepper's life. I was happier being a fishing bum. But, now that I know, I can't go back and it will all be worth it if I ever have to use those preps . . . and I hope I don't. But, odds are, bad things are coming . . . it is logical given the numbers and time is short.

So, MY advice would be not to go on a prepper/survivalist board and ask opinions about purchases that were dumb even when I was a sheeple (and I don't mean this in a hateful way, but, you're just asking the wrong crowd). I listened to Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard since the early 2000s and their advice was resoundingly to NEVER buy a new car. It is a dumb purchase. You're burning money without any return except the joy of having a new car.

You could take the $3k from the depreciation and buy a year's worth of food. Which one has value? Food, or the "newness" of a car that will be NOT new in a few months. That's all I wanted him to think about.

UGRev likes this.
  7. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

No argument here :) I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like prepping.

8. TheEconomist

Cato, I appreciate what you are saying. However, I do not believe this is a stupid questions at all.

I have a bug out location to get to. It's called a fully functioning farm my family owns near by.

As far as food for the baby, you are right, I should buy formula to make it through a few months. But that will not cost me too much $$$.

My problem, once again, is that people assume on thing or another about someones prepping based on 1 post. I have what I need to get by at least 1 month in my house. Beyond that I have what I need at the family farm.

When it comes to finance I wont get into all of the details, but buying new actually made sense. The trade they gave me more than covered the loss we take off the lot. They overpaid for my car because they had to move inventory. I took advantage of it, held out for three days of them calling and got the price I wanted. Sure, I could have gone with a $2000 beater and gotten around. But I do not need to do that. I have the finances to keep doing what I am doing and have a nice car while I am at it.

Lastly...

This forum is the place I go, and have gone, to get the opinion of people that I trust and have posted with for a while now. It shouldn't matter what the topic is (especially when it is posted in the general forum). If the mods don't like it or deem it to be inappropriate for the forum they can remove what I posted.

Thanks to everyone, including you CATO (even though I would appreciate a little more tact as a courtesy, which you are not required to provide), for your constructive opinion and reviews of your Subaru's, tires, and other car related information.

tulianr likes this.
  9. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

I
    I would get enough formula to last about 6 months on the high end. I bet after 4 months, you'll be feeding puree/more solid foods.

10. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I never said this was a "stupid" question. I said the purchase was dumb and that if you ask a question on a prepper board, you're going to get a prepper answer, which mine was. Go ask the same thing on a yuppie board, you'll get a yuppie answer.

Please forgive me, I have contingency anxiety.

If it's any consolation, my wife's next car is going to be a Subaru barring TEOTWAWKI and I hope she picks up a lesbian in it.

tulianr and TheEconomist like this.
  11. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Will not get into your selection of vehicles but will add this. Several yrs ago we bought a one year old Chevy station wagon(had kids/scout troop) for 10K. It listed for 20K and had 60K miles. The previous owner lost 10K driving a new car for one year. Those 60,000 miles cost him dearly---$10,000 dollars worth. A bud drove his new car 13 miles, parked in a Sear's lot, and a truck ran the light and "creamed" his Camaro. The insurance company was going to depreciate the value of his brand new car $2500 for that 13 miles. He threatened legal and they caved. Buying new is very costly---nice but costly. We have had two in our lifetime and never again.

CATO likes this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

FWIW, my own personal analysis of the question shows that buying new and driving the wheels off (with proper maintenance for the whole time) costs me less than buying unknowns and trying for wheels off. That has worked three times, so far, and buying used has cost me more (on three attempts with used) since the used vehicles had problems due to the previous owner's omission of or cheaping out on maintenance requirements. There's no question that buying new and trading based on the itch for new every (say) three years is too expensive for me to think about. Regardless, I'll not criticize anyone's choices to spend or not spend on new, used, salvaged or 10 year's worth of wheat in the pantry; that's a choice one has to make based on thought, not impulse.

The only reason I'm not still driving my '97 is the deer that spoke upon me and said that would not be allowed. If I'd had the space for storage and to work on it at the time, I could have parted it out and made way more than the salvage yard gave me for it. Had 228K on it and had arbitrarily decided to get 300K before rethinking replacement.

Vehicle selection? Meh. That's a personal choice based on needs, pocketbooks (and wants.) Like prepping, your decisions have to be made on your own circumstances and evaluations. Set your own priorities and go from there, take the tradeoffs where you think you have to.

tulianr and TheEconomist like this.
  13. TheEconomist

We went with the Forester. Thanks everyone!

tulianr likes this.
  14. helmetmike

helmetmike Monkey+

Both my youngest daughter and her friend have dodge journey's. They both have issues with frequent brake pad wear and rotor warpage. They have been told by local shops that the journeys are noted for brake problems.

15. MADAK

MADAK Question

Great choice!!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7