Dogs and Survival

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Blade, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I don't know much about eating pigeons or doves, but I do know about JRTs and equally annoying types. There's one next door that would make great crow food. Yap, yap, yap, and so on. Do crows get hair balls?

2. SoCal09

SoCal09 Monkey++

I have a Belgian malinois military dog that I adopted as a pup from lackland afb. He's extremely smart and rarely barks, which is great for survival but not for initiating the guard command. Anyone know any methods to get a dog to bark on command?

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Yup...just practice with the command "speak" and then give a treat as reward for each time the performance is repeated...soon no treats will be need.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I've found a quite humane way to treat those danged yappers!
    Meat balls laced with ALUM!
    Can't make a squeak after the alum hits the larnyx!
    Not at all harmful and it's quite satisfying!
    The dog gets free meat, you get bliss!

5. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

FM 7-40 scout dog training and employment

see title

Attached Files:

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

After spending a few days in an area, I can't make reference to anymore ( Yeah it's beyond a curse word for me)!
    I saw a LOT of unruly, untrained animals, and they all had DOGS!
    You can imagine the problems there...
    I had 2 try to eat my front tires, should have kept going and eliminated that problem immediately. But Nah, not me, I stopped and yelled at them...no dice, BUT the horn worked!
    Local ranchers have been shooting ANY loose dog on sight, as they blame them for the loss of spring calves.
    Now I have yet to see any dog take on any cow, yet anyway. They do not run in packs ( yet) either. But they are a persistant nuisance at best. Few people spend any time with then as far as training and NO one seems to know what a chain, a leash or even a fence is....Beer and tobacco up there is a better choice.

7. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

In my country we have this breed of shepherd dogs that were made for fighting wolves and they are BIG...Even bigger than mastiffs and extremely loyal, brave and obedient...and they almost NEVER bark! I don't think there is an English name for them because they are named by one of our mountains... If you are interested, I could upload a picture...

8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Please upload the picture and the name if you come up with it. Thanks

9. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

10. SoCal09

SoCal09 Monkey++

You should put in the time training your dog just like you put in the time for prepping. My dog can bark on command, sit, lay, bite, release, etc. He is an early warning device and will fiercely protect me and my family. I think everyone should have one and take the time to train them, great for almost all survival situations.

11. enough

enough Monkey++

Want. I would like to add one of those to my collection. I too have a heeler, but she is a mix. The quiet assassin is her nickname. She never barked at all, until I got my lab. However, she is an even better watch dog now. She scares the hell out of the FedEx guys. :)

The lab isn't so much a worker, as she is a family member. She is an excellent natural retriever though. I just need to work on a softer mouth.

So, while the heeler could come out with me, and have my back, the lab is sticking with the family for companionship, and early warning.

12. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Sharplaninec, especially females are also known to be extremely good to children...They literary allow children to walk over them, ride them, pull their ears and tails. They are also extremely protective of the children, perfect guardians. They are very highly valued here.

13. bjr711

bjr711 Monkey+

We have abackpack for our lab--he loves to walk with it on and full--usually we have him carry water. With him here we have no worries about break ins as he barks like crazy if anyone approaches the house. Can't imagine eating him. :)

14. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

your dog(s) will be/can be your safety net when you sleep.

15. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My dogs are so spoiled the meat has got to be rotten. lol They would mostly be good for deturant and early warning since they have already figured out mom and dad have guns so when they get startled and bark they run behind us knowing bullets beat teeth. The bigest is a total wuss and the one most likely to attack is only knee high but if she yelped the others would become all teeth instantly.

16. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Hmmm...sooo...you tie a small remote tazer gun on the smallest dog, if in trouble, shock small dog to yelp, other dogs attack, problem solved... :D
    Ain't technology great? ... :D

17. Tool User

Tool User Monkey+

My dogs are family members. I prep for them as if they are a small child.

18. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Yup...But in a SHTF situation, I wouldn't eat a small child...maybe... [drooling]

19. GeoMonkey

GeoMonkey Monkey++

My Golden is great for "sentry" alerting me when anyone's around, but is a BIG coward. Yet, his size (92 lbs) keeps anyone from jumping the fence into our yard.
    He's also very warm to nap with.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7