Dogs in anyone's plan

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by plotdog99, Feb 25, 2015.

1. plotdog99

plotdog99 Monkey

I hunt with dogs. I have all my life . I bear hunt with hounds and coon, hog, and squirrel hunt with elkhounds. I plan on still using them if the shtf. Does anyone else have dogs for this purpose?

wnn, Tully Mars, stg58 and 2 others like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I wish that I had a good hunting dog. The only thing my Great Danes hunt are burglars..... that is about all they are good for (early warning).
    And if we get really hungry, they are the size of a small deer.... you know, Fido BBQ... don't tell momma bear!! :lol:TIC

Tully Mars likes this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Dogs are good food source.

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Mostly in the White House... Try it with my dog and I won't have to buy her any food for a while...

wnn, Mountainman, Thmstr and 2 others like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have a spoiled rotten Lab

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My dog is worthless but we love her. @plotdog99 my Uncle had coon dogs. They were smart good dogs. They were great hunters. If one has a good dog it would be a help hunting if SHTF.

stg58 likes this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Our dogs? Good at running off both bunnies and deer out of the garden, Killing Groundhogs and keeping all unknown folk on the other side of the gates.

stg58, Mindgrinder and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Bear treein' and deer chasin' is all my dog is good for....
    I miss my old rottie/mastiff.
    :(

9. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Here's a vid of my old neighbors MONSTER Africa mastiff....escape artist and slobermonster.
    Slimed me pretty good...coulda fed a family for a month on him.

Yard Dart and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Shame on you dog eaters. Max supported himself before we got him. Great watch dog. Terrible guard dog.

3M-TA3, Yard Dart and stg58 like this.
  11. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Not for hunting but I have 2 Shepard's one 7 years old slowing down a bit no hip problems but like me slower and a bit gray in the muzzle and a one and half year old both from good breeders with no hip dysplasia in the blood lines.

The older one really seems to have guided the younger one and both are faithful and very territorial if a stray comes on the property they chase it off and without crazy barking they alert when they see, hear or smell something which I like.

tulianr likes this.
  12. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

The Dobie will hunt down feral children, but I doubt I'll want any of those if TSHTF. He and the Pit are excellent chicken hunters though.

Gator 45/70 and tulianr like this.
  13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Border Collie/Blue Heeler mix here. Great watch dog and would protect us with all she had if need be. Gotta love working dogs... If I was working dogs into a survival plan I'd probably look at Mastiffs and Akitas. Great article somewhere on this site that sums up the breeds.

Gator 45/70 and Mindgrinder like this.
  14. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Good timing with this string, we are looking at getting a Treeing Walker Hound. I figure since I now live in the south,I need a good hound..;) Have had many different dogs in the past, and have missed having one for a long time. Now that I'll be staying at home we figure its time.

Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  15. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Our Rotties adopt the damn deer and watch them eat the flowers...

Gator 45/70 and VisuTrac like this.
  16. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Have a Yellow Lab for bird hunting and 2 small dogs. All 3 are part of my early warning system now and after SHTF would serve the same purposes.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Lost my fifteen year old lab two years ago. Still have my little shadow, a jack russell/rat terrier mix that goes almost everywhere with me. She is a little killer but she is twenty pounds. Great watch dog, hears everything. Am in the market for a new buddy as we speak. Most likely a mutt, probably a cross between a retriever and another working dog, and definitely a female. Have been lucky in that the dogs I have owned all were great animals.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. shaman

shaman Monkey++

I have two, one is a Belgian Wastofur , the other is a Vulgarian Laphound. They're mostly useless, except:
    1) The Wastofur can smell the pizza delivery guy from half a mile off.
    2) The Laphound is half-way decent on squirrel and can track wounded deer.
    3) The Wastofur has a bark that would make most would-be burglars evacuate their bowels.
    4) The Laphound has flatulence that can kill roaches and knock birds out of the air.
    5) The Wastofur treats feral cats as a basic food group.

The farm is at the end of a dead-end road. If you come down there, you're either looking for me, or your lost. We get a couple truckloads of the latter each week. It's really fun to open the door and let the Wastofur out and have him go charging at the truck. I then yell commands at him in German.
    "Platz! Platz! Hund, komm zu mir!
    Diese Männer haben Mütter, die Scheiß-bus für Geld und immer noch zu Fuß!"
    Of course I've never taught the dog a word of German, so the poor travelers see some hapless Mennonite Krauthead with a dog about to eat the truck and they usually drop rubber throwing it in reverse.

19. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Our dogs finance our prepping and are fantastic guard dogs in that they alert us when strangers are around. We have 5 all Bichon Frise as we are breeders. Our male is very protective of his 4 girls and he is very keen on strange sounds and smells. the pups go for 1200.00 each and that buys a lot of preps. They have earned their keep here. They can subsist on fish so we have food long term covered.

20. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Jessie is a 3 year old chocolate lab. She is a great retriever and part of this family. Had labs off and on most of my life. Ran and raised sled dogs for 25 years of so. Now it just down to Jessie.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7