Dogs in SHTF situation

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TheEconomist, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

My sabertoothneanderthalgolden that is white is a Bad a$$ dog...However
    I'am Badder than the Dog....How you ask...?
    Easy...I wait for him to go to sleep...
    Then i Ninja up on him and grab him by the muzzle...IT'S ON THEN...!!!
    Good thing he's on a chain and i can still run fast...lol...
    He's an eary warning system..That is all...
    camp 005.JPG camp 009.JPG

2. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Granny as for the poision I have worked with my dogs using a shock collar. I have put food out in the yard while the dogs were in the house and when they went out if they grabbed it I would give them a little jolt. I have also had friends and family come by while they are out and attempt to hand them a treat if they go for it they get a jolt. Now the only ones they will take food from is me, the wife and little girl. As for the bullets thats a hard one I did go to a police dept that hed some old bullet proof vest they were going to destroy and worked with them and fitted mine dogs with them. It atleast gives the a chance. Which they are trained to go for the hand with something in it also they work well as a team. One will grab the arm and the other goes for the face and neck The only problem I have is getting them to break. They both love to bite and love the taste of zombie meat.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

Alpha, hahahaha you just killed it with the Zombie Meats!!!! How am I supposed to take that seriously!

4. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I'll take a Kuvaz or Ovcharka bred to guard livestock against big predators over some pound mutt any day. Even with breeds bred to protect livestock you can't always pick a winner. My experience with pound dogs has been a half dozen destroyed coops and a lot of dead lambs.

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

[worthless]

TheEconomist likes this.
  6. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I like my dog and will feel bad if he is killed but that is his job. I am looking at how many men I will lose and how many women will be raped when tshtf. The dogs job is to warn me and give me time to react if he dies so be it. We are not preparing for for a trip to Disneyland or a small disaster, think Somalia.

7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

[​IMG]
    Rottie Mix.
    Ain't killed a chicken, turkey, duck, bunny nor the goat. But she did tackle the 120# goat after it sucker punched her.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nice Dog..!!!

9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

her last baby tooth just came out. another month or so and we'll have a full mouth of big dog teeth.

She seems to love beef bones. NOM NOM. crunch crunch.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

The Devil Wears Fur... and cockleburs, goatheads, and devil claws.
    Next time I'm going with the Anatolians.
    lucy-jack. deez.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Another thing I like about dogs is alot of times their bark is phsycological just like the rck of a 12ga. It demands respect or when they take take the aggressive stand with teath showing and that deep growl alot of people stay away from areas with dogs because they know dogs dont show compassion.

Thaddius Bickerton likes this.
  12. Harbin

Harbin Monkey+

I'm new here, first post but a long time lurker. My 2 dogs would definitely stick around. Both are boxers, one is joined at the hip to my wife and 1 year old. The male ( at bit bigger at 85 lbs) is more "my" dog, hangs out all the time around me and has a wicked growl- so deep it sounds like a 250 lb monster is being the door.

As for food and their needs, my wife doesn't like picking up the heavy bags of dog food so when I go I grab a few bags at a time. Pricey stuff but I find the higher end dog foods are not only much healthier but they eat less because there are no fillers like corn. A bag lasts me about 3-4 weeks, so I'm good for at least 6 months right now.

13. TheEconomist

Hello and welcome!

What dog food are you using and what is the shelf life?

14. Harbin

Harbin Monkey+

Thanks!

I feed them Prairie, it's made at Nature's variety or Nature's choice (something like that). Packaging says it has a one year shelf life from when it was made. I store the bags piled up in the basement, the guy at the store said it makes a big difference keeping them cool (makes sense to me). Clyde used to eat 8-10 cups a day with the last food we used, now he's down to 6 cups and we free feed them so they definitely aren't hungry. Very lean with great coats, really happy with this stuff so far. We rotate them through the different mixes- chicken, beef medley, fish, and venison.

TheEconomist likes this.
  15. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

As much as I do love my dog, I do know he is disposable when it comes to our lives.
    I have no illusions about his capabilities; he is there for the slowing down of an intrusion.
    I have trained him well and it’s still on going.
    In the present stage of training I have him run perimeter of our property starting and ending at the same spot with a simple two word command. I have him do this every night. I also do this when he wants out in the middle of the night then I ask him to run the perimeter when he finishes his business. He gets an occasional treat of a cat in the back.
    When it is an animal in the night he will bark, when its human out comes a deep low quiet growl. Trespassers beware…It is his house and his pickup now days…LOL
    hunter.JPG

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

To him, that is his purpose.

The capability I need is the warning their abilities bring to the table. Their ability to differentiate between a tree branch falling and other things is past my ex-11B ears.

gmt48 likes this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

He gets an occasional treat of a cat in the back

^^^ hahahaha...+1 on the ''treats''

18. TheEconomist

BlueHeeler.

Even the road warrior has a dog!

chelloveck likes this.
  19. steeled

steeled Monkey

Our border collie-lab mix is an important part of our family. He's a great early warning that sounds vicious, too--gotta love when he hits the metal security door clawing, growling and barking when someone walks by-you'd swear he was going to break thru and scares the crap out of everyone passing by--we have no doubt he will protect to the point of the giving of his life. When non-family is near, he stays between "them" and us. Also, he will warn when seizure (our little one) is imminent. He's a wonderful companion and is loved as much as he loves us.

20. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Cattle dog, AKA red or blue heeler. Got a (rescued) blue heeler for my folks that live by themselves (both are over 80 Y/O. Anybody breaks in is going to get 65 pounds of pissed off dog on them....

Australian Cattle Dogs On-Line

VisuTrac and chelloveck like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7