Dogs in SHTF situation

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TheEconomist, Feb 5, 2012.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Kelpies are good too

They are also a good breed for rounding up and mustering sheep and cattle and other critters...they will happily nip hocks to get the critters to go the way the farmer wants them to go...which may include the way to the nearest black and white. To the aussie cattle dog, it's their most favouritest game! ; )

VisuTrac likes this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

We have a mixed breed protection dog. Bernese Mt dog mix. It's so funny to see him go outside and sit on his hill of snow and watch the world go by. The little furball also pretty good for keeping my feet warm...

I can only hope to be the man he thinks I am.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. UKROB

UKROB Monkey

We have a lurcher originally the poor mans hunting dog, GreyHound Cross for those who don't know the "type" (they're not classed as a breed). TBH I wouldn't be without him, he's great with the kids, protective of the family, has a base hunting instinct and can run like the wind. Many people still use lurchers for hunting today.

We were going to get another but recent events has put that on hold for the moment.

Loki09.

4. So what kind of small to medium dog should I look at if I'm living in a suburban environment? I don't have 20 acres to keep a pack of German Shepherds. It always seemed like a good idea to have a dog for an early alarm system.

5. Waz

Waz Monkey+

My suggestion is a Jack Russell, loud and protective, and around kids they are great

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I have a Black Mouth Cur (98lbs) (think Ol' Yeller) brindle in color. Smart general purpose dogs that are fearless, great around family and kids. VERY opinionated, and have sensitive feelings. It is in their breeding to heard livestock, hunt, and guard home. If you have more than one, they will divide up the duties and maintain their own territories unilaterally.

They do cop a "tude" if they think someone is messing with them. Ours despises the UPS man. Hits the door bell and then runs. He can't stand the guy. Can't spank a kid around them, and can't grab one that is excited and screaming as the rodeo is on if you try.

jim

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Blue Heeler .

8. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

May I suggest Alaskan Malamutes.

alaskan-malamute-1.

If you live in a climate that has snow over a decent portion of the year these dogs are great for pulling heavy loads and can survive in heat as well as -60C if need be. They are decent dogs for early detection and alarm, but they dont bark, they vocalize. Being that they sound like a wolf and range if weight from 70-100 pounds (some super breeders have them as big as 175, they look and sound intimidating). They are natural hunters and have been used by the inuit people to hunt polar bears and seal. So their prey instinct is strong and they are also gender agressive. This means 1 male and 1 female, no gendering mixing. Some are okay with cats but you have to realize that they are not meant to be. They also compete in agility competitions which is a unique characteristic for dogs this big.

welcome.

On the flip side they are very loyal to humans and fantastic with kids. The one thing that you are going to sacrafice with them is that they are not good guard dogs and they shed all over the 2 times a year. But for what I need (and I have .12 acres of land) they are fantastic. Just do not expect them to do anything other than lick an enemy to death.

2999_1.

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

10. TheEconomist

Nice Tikka! That is one good looking Pup!

11. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

When I prep, I prep for my dogs too. They are not only part of the security system, they are family. I have meds, food, water filtration/purification, medical supplies, and more than enough tennis balls stored away to ensure that they are well cared for in a shtf scenerio.
    Of course they will feed on scraps and what we dont use from game we harvest that only a dog would love.
    I have always had a Shepherd or Shepherd mix. Right now we have a Malamute Shepherd mix. She is almost 2 and very protective around the house. As soon as I greet someone and she sees it is a friend, she is happy and friendly. If she doesnt know you and you approach the house, she goes off like a rocket. Ears up, tail down, teeth showing and a deep belly growl. Running between the door and the kids. She will back right up to the kids pushing them away from the door the whole time watching the doorknob like a hawk.
    If you walk up to the house and she knows you she will yip and do the whole butt and tail waggle with her left paw up and tongue hangin out.
    Either way, I always know someone is around real fast thanks to her. That is a great reward in addition to the unconditional loyalty you get from a well cared for dog.

tulianr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Thanks. She is a charmer; a good watch dog, protective and she reads both of us well.

13. RangerRick

RangerRick RangerRick-North Idaho Oath Keeper

little dog -BIG fight

I live in North Idaho and a few years back the neighbor accross the road had a bear try to get in the house. His 7 lb dog did not know the bear was much bigger than it was. The bear bite off the front leg during the fight and the dog did not give up. Bear left, Owner/dog made it to the vet hospital in time and the dog dies of old age. I now have two of the same kind of dogs.
    RR

chelloveck and TheEconomist like this.
  14. TheEconomist

I know we all love our dogs...but what if we and ours become hungry?

Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen was known to have eaten sled dogs during his expedition to the South Pole. By eating some of the sled dogs, he required less human or dog food, thus lightening his load. When comparing sled dogs to ponies as draught animals he also notes:

"...there is the obvious advantage that dog can be fed on dog. One can reduce one's pack little by little, slaughtering the feebler ones and feeding the chosen with them. In this way they get fresh meat. Our dogs lived on dog's flesh and pemmican the whole way, and this enabled them to do splendid work. And if we ourselves wanted a piece of fresh meat we could cut off a delicate little fillet; it tasted to us as good as the best beef. The dogs do not object at all; as long as they get their share they do not mind what part of their comrade's carcass it comes from. All that was left after one of these canine meals was the teeth of the victim - and if it had been a really hard day, these also disappeared."

While dogs are consumed in South Korea, recently, certain (mainly small)
    breeds have become popular as pets and some other breeds are now being used in
    animal-assisted therapy programs and activities. It is clear that some breeds of dog
    are seen as pets and assistance animals, while other dogs, especially the yellowfurred
    dogs (​
    nureongi), are viewed as a food and medicine (and never as pets).
    Apart from the cultural reason discussed earlier, this may be another reason why
    pet owners and nonowners had similar attitudes to dog eating—pet owners do not
    associate pet dogs with the dog-eating issue. While this may disturb and confuse
    some people, particularly those in the West, that dogs (and cats) can be assigned
    the roles of both a friend and food, the phenomenon of assigning different roles

and hence moral status to animals of the same species is common.

With this in mind, would you eat mans best friend?

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

How hungry am I? I suppose that if I croaked first, the dog would be happy to eat me and regret it less.

MastiffLady, VisuTrac and oldawg like this.
  16. chelloveck

I'd chow on Chow Chow

I'd chow on Chow Chow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chow_Chow

With pepper and salt, and lots of tomato sauce (aka ketchup). Just keep clear of the liver of Huskies....some polar explorers died of poisoning as a consequence of eating dog liver as it is extremely rich in vitamin A.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A

17. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

If there were nothing else to eat, sure. But mine is a well-trained obedient companion and part of the security team. I'd eat some of the worthless ones that roam loose around the area first.

VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

A week after TSHTF I'm sure that there will be pack's of wild one's looking to kill something for food...Best to eat them first...

19. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

After spending over a year and a half in South Korea, I acquired the taste for Kagolgi(Sp?) and kimchi. It is a delicious meal if prepared properly and it especially helps if you don't know the dogs name LOL...

chelloveck, Gray Wolf and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. chelloveck

That is probably why cannibals hate it when missionaries introduce themselves ; )

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7