Dogs in SHTF situation

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TheEconomist, Feb 5, 2012.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

[fnny][lolol]

That's great!

2. Dogs are a great survival tool! but not yard sh!ters

A hunting dog is priceless, my coon dogs are working dogs and they would absolutely carry their own weight. none of that following my path through the bush they blaze their own trails, helping me to find more game than i could on my own. I have a video on you tube of my walker hound treeing a coon

Coon Hunting, My walker named Homer has done it again - YouTube

But obviously if you walk outside in a shtf scenario with a dog that its only job was to poop in the yard would be hard to care for and feed than a dog that gets up and is eager to kill his food. I have a walker hound for treeing and jack Russell terrier and a shovel for going into holes. Not one rabbit or raccoon will get away with that team

3. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

The average size of the " lot" is 6 to 15 acres. As it is forested, we have a lot of deer here and they are moving all the time.

The swing is about 20-25' from the basement door.

There are deer highways to the north, south, southwest; day or night, the dogs know when they are there. Which beats anything humans can do. :D
    804. 804. 750. 750.

5. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

ive got a malamute/pit bull mix, if i let her out she runs around till she gets tired then will come back and want it, but if shes on the leash or in the kennell she will let you know when someone is around, if shtf i would let her run, she generally follows me at a distance and i think she would come home at night, id just let her have her run of the place.

6. Kathy in WV

Kathy in WV Just runnin' the ridges...

I have several small dogs that are half Jack Russell/ half Mountain Fiest that I bred myself. They are awesome "alerting" dogs, small, alert and pretty fearless for little guys. I also have a couple of "rescued"dogs... dogs that I found and didn't have the heart to leave beside a road. One is part Chow and one is part Great Pyr. They seem to know we saved them and are so loyal... This way some are outside and some are inside. They are part of the family and loved. But in an all out survival situation don't know if we could feed them all. If we could not properly care for them (food, medicine,attention, shelter etc...) We would be forced to humanely put them down, starting with the oldest first. It would have to be a bad situation in deed for me to kill my dogs, we're talking absolute all out survival. I have New Zealand rabbits that I bought to breed for two reasons... to make fertilizer for my garden, and to make food for my dogs if I can't buy food. So, yeah, I would try my hardest to keep my dogs... they are family!

Sapper John and tulianr like this.
  7. TheEconomist

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY OLLI!

[​IMG]

This special little (80lbs) Alaskan Malamute was found "At Large". He had a wound over his left eye that looked like he was struck by something, but more likely someone! He was taken to a shelter is Staunton, VA where he has been kept since. He is a well behaved boy and as of yesterday we adopted him into our pack! 1 more monkey dog to the tree everyone!!!

BTPost and Silversnake like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. 80 lbs of eating machine, plus a gallon of "Do NOT piss me off by annoying my family!!" How old, do you know?

9. TheEconomist

He is 2 or 3 according to the rescue who specializes in the breed. We are taking him to the vet tonight for a general exam to make sure everything is ok. Malamutes actually have a very efficient metabolism. This guy will eat 3 cups of food a day. With high end food bags of 30lbs being $55-60 we are looking at $2 a day. Well worth it.

Silversnake and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7