Earth will only have a 12-hour warning.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Jul 29, 2015.

?
  1. I am ready for a massive solar storm... no worries.

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  2. I have more work to do but I am in good shape for the most part.

21 vote(s)
    44.7%
  3. Can we toast marshmallows in this storm?

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  4. Not ready by a long shot.......

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Most surface Transport is GPS Tracked these days, that is True, HOWEVER, the loss of that Tracking Data, will only slow Train Traffic a bit, in that ALL Trains are under Positive Control thru the Section Signal Systems, anyway, and 95% of those Signals, and Comms, are controlled on Fiber, that is embedded on the RailRoad Right of Way, these days. Just because a Trucking company can't follow their Trucks will not stop them from moving. Some of the Cellular Traffic, may Go Down if the Geosynchronous SATS go Offline, but again that will be hit and miss, around the country, and much of that Information runs on Fiber, with SAT Backup, these days. They lost a GeoSAT a few years back, and a whole bunch of ATMs went offline, for a week or so, and then came back up when a Fiber Connection was installed.
    Note: Not Chicago, but Omaha for UP, BNSF, and somewhere on the East Coast for CVS or whatever that Big East Coast Train Outfit that one of our Monkeys works for.

Dunerunner, Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

There are two rail lines in LA. Through LA and Pasadena. They are only a few miles apart by different rail lines. Any idea how far they must travel before a car can be transferred from one line to the other? (I checked)......:eek::cautious:

3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Fox news had a piece about solar storms, 2/30/15. They had a MIT prof on and talked about the dangers, but played them down. Discussed loss of power, airplanes crashing, ships failing, , trucks, phones failing. Good graphics of the suns surface and the storms. Talked of the 1859 storm and other more recent events, but played down EMP. Keep the sheeple partially informed and that there is not much to worry about, but stock up some food and a few days gas for your generator

Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

We had about 80 hours of warning for the last one in late 2015.
    Think about it, the solar storms move around 1 million miles per hour.
    The sun is 93 million miles away.
    The solar EMP isn't going to effect small isolated or stand alone systems. Shielding and protection for small electronics is a waste of time for a solar storm. The smartest thing you can do during a solar storm is disconnect your house from the power grid.

Ganado likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It's not that there is just a single track....the GPS can give traffic controllers real time information about the relative positions of trains, and their heading...it might be useful in helping to avoid collisions...useful in estimating times of arrival, and in making decisions about routing priorities for different services (express passenger/all stations passenger/express freight, slow freight). This might become critical in the event of signal failures or other disruptions which might throw scheduled timetables into disorder. If there has been a derailment or some other disaster, a precise location will enable first responder help to arrive much quicker . Train mounted GPS is a useful navigational tool, particularly on bi-directional single track lines.

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Will it help if I put a bag over my head??

Ganado likes this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Actually I think we will get a 4 month warning.
    Clock starts ticking when the candidates are nominated by the RNC/DNC
    tick tock.

chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  8. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

We have been warned and what we have is what we got. I think that will be all the warning we get. When it happens, it will happen fast.

9. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I have my towel !!

fancy1 likes this.
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Those, of medical necessity, who wear incontinence pads, will be as prepared as they ever will be....those without, won't have time to do squat about it....:eek:

Yard Dart, Brokor and techsar like this.
  11. duane

duane Monkey+++

Watching the news today brought this thread back to mind. If the president and the atty general can't make a coherent statement on a mass shooting of police with several hours time to prepare a written speech, how would they handle a solar storm when some actual decision had to be made? Don't look good. I figure I will be told of a solar storm when the crooked lawyer calls up about 30 min before the event and wants it put on the books that he is representing me in the class action suite that he will bring against the Lord and anyone he can find with money for causing it.

It really helps when you have the politically correct idiots being lead by the clueless who have made a life out of exploiting their "otherness".

Yard Dart likes this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The plan is that they have no plan.
    They showed us that their plan is do nothing and hope for the best in 2015 when it looked like a powerful solar storm was going to hit the earth.
    The only way they could save the power grid is start turning off the power about 24 to 48 hours in advance of the storm and have line crews start installing shorting cables at least on all the long distance transmission power lines. All this arcane piece of safety equipment does is short all 3 phases to ground so a charge cant be induced onto the power lines. Normally this is used to protect line crews from lightning strikes and from the line accidently being switched on while men are on the wire. It would work to protect the power grid from a solar storm. But the power has to be turned off and remain off to use the shorting lines and all the shorting lines have to be removed before the power is switched back on.

Yard Dart and T. Riley like this.
  13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

@OP4 would throwing the main breaker on my house service do the same thing? Or would the two phases in the house wiring need to be grounded?

14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Opening the breaker should protect your house, pulling the meter would be better.
    But everything else will be fried.
    The over head lines will have the huge charges induced on to them, those charges will find their way into all the little devices still connected to the power grid. In your house you would need a multi meter that reads millivolts to read the charge induced on wires in your house once disconnected from the grid.

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. I do a lot of intercontinental travel. If I'm in Ecuador when a solar storm hits, I'm ok. If I'm anywhere else I'm pretty screwed.

16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

IF I happen to be home, and it is either a CME or EMP and there is enough warning I will probably remove all ,my solar panels and wind mill, cameras ,lights(LED) , disconnect from the grid completely. While doing that my friend would be using his equipment to dig a hole to drop a container into .
    The ground is hard, and the prospect of caving is almost nil .I have a 6' X 4' X 8' deep dirt hole that has not caved in 4 years.
    Long as it can hold during the worst of it, that's all that matters .
    I expect that during an CME, or solar flare the house will burn up , so a lot of storage is being moved into the steel shop building, fuel will be put in the 6x4x8 hole and covered ,it's far enough from every thing else the if it blows it won't destroy any thing else.
    My water is capable of being pressurized for fire fighting, in the event it should be come necessary, and there is no city water pressure.
    If I have opportunity another thing I'd like to do is set up a small trailer to tow behind the lawn tractor that has a large water tank and gas driven water pump for addressing fires around the property should they occur.
    If other homes go up I need the ability to at least try and keep it contained , or at least keep the fire at bay. Fires are inevitable during a disaster, if your not prepared to deal with them, all your preps are a waste.

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I believe a water trailer is always a good idea.

18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One thing I wanted to do is set up a trailer totally dedicated for fire fighting ,I can haul with my garden tractor or truck .
    250 gallon water tank, gas engine driven pump, 500' hose on a reel, fire ax, and polaski, shovels, and fire suit.
    If I have to bug out and have working vehicles ,I can haul the water along where ever I need to go.

19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

500 feet of hose will cause a lot of head loss.
    Make sure the pump can create a lot of pressure.

I too am starting to look at pumps. I have a little 260 gallon hot tub now. My wife wanted a big tub to relax in and I wanted an excuse to store a bunch of fresh water.

20. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

When I build my house I ran two rainbird sprinklers off a 1/2 hp submersible, using 1, 5/8 hose at 400 feet.

1. DKR
  2. Thunder5Ranch
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. fl4848
  7. Motomom34
  8. Motomom34
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Yard Dart
  12. Coyote Ridge