EARTHQUAKE!!!!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by kckndrgn, Apr 18, 2008.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Apparently some time this morning there was an earthquake in IL, 5.something in magnitude.

Reports had people feeling it in Memphis and MS. Dang, I slept through another one[ROFL]!

So, did any of the Monkey's feel this quake?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Didn't reach NORTHERN Virginia, at least not while I was conscious. Which fault line?

3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

New Madrid? Dunno exactly but that's the closest one that I know of.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351698,00.html
    WEST SALEM, Ill — A 5.2-magnitude earthquake centered in southern Illinois rocked people awake across the Midwest early Friday, surprising residents unaccustomed to such a powerful temblor.
    The quake — one of the strongest ever recorded in Illinois — occurred just before 4:37 a.m. and was centered six miles southeast of West Salem, Ill., and 66 miles west of Evansville, Ind.
    Initially pegged as a 5.4 earthquake, the U.S. Geological Survey revised its estimate to give it a value of 5.2.
    • Click here for the USGS Web page on the earthquake.
    The strongest earthquake recorded in Illinois was in 1968, a 5.3-magnitude temblor centered near Dale in Hamilton County, about 75 miles southeast of St. Louis, according the USGS. Minor damage was widespread, but there were no serious injuries or fatalities.
    West Salem is in Edwards County, and dispatcher Lucas Griswold says the sheriff's department received several calls about the earthquake but only reports of minor damage and no injuries.
    <!-- QUIGO --> <!-- QUIGO --> <script type="text/javascript"> /*<![CDATA[*/ var adsonar_placementId="1307913",adsonar_pid="256757",adsonar_ps="-1",adsonar_zw=190;adsonar_zh=200,adsonar_jv="ads.adsonar.com"; qas_writeAd(); /*]]>*/ </script>
    "Oh, yeah, I felt it. It was interesting," Griswold said. "A lot of shaking."
    • Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Natural Science Center.
    In Mount Carmel, 15 southeast of the epicenter, a woman was trapped in her home by a collapsed porch but was quickly freed and wasn't hurt, said Mickie Smith, a dispatcher at the police department.
    The department took numerous other calls, though none reported anything more serious than objects knocked off walls and out of shelves, she said.
    The quake shook skyscrapers in Chicago's Loop, 230 miles north of the epicenter, and in downtown Indianapolis, about 160 miles northeast of the epicenter.
    U.S. Geological Survey scientists in Denver were examining data about the quake, said geophysicist Carrieann Bedwell.
    "This was widely felt, all the way to Atlanta, a little bit in Michigan," she said.
    Residents in Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Louisville and St. Louis also reported feeling the earth shake. In Louisville, the quake caused bricks to fall off part of a building near downtown, and television video showed bricks strewn in the street, but the mayor's office said there were no reports of injuries.
    "It shook our house where it woke me up," said David Behm of Philo, 10 miles south of Champaign. "Windows were rattling, and you could hear it. The house was shaking inches. For people in central Illinois, this is a big deal. It's not like California."
    Phones started ringing at the Crawford County Sheriff's Department in Robinson, about 15 miles north of the epicenter, but there were no immediate reports of damage, dispatcher Marsha Craven said.
    "They didn't know if it was the refinery blowing up or an earthquake," she said, referring to the a local petroleum refinery.
    Craven said she's lived in the area her whole life, and felt a handful of earthquakes, but couldn't recall one this big.
    In Cincinnati, one woman said she felt something that lasted for up to 20 seconds.
    "All of a sudden, I was awakened by this rumbling shaking," said Irvetta McMurtry, 43. "My bed is an older wood frame bed, so the bed started to creak and shake, and it was almost like somebody was taking my mattress and moving it back and forth."
    Johna Todd, a dispatcher at the Edgar County Sheriff's Department in eastern Illinois, said the quake rattled the area and led to numerous 911 calls, but all to ask why their homes were shaking rather than report damage.
    In Frankfort, Ky., Ray Teron was awakened by the quake. But he said his mother, whom he lives with, slept through it.
    "It definitely rattled the dishes. It was enough to wake you up."
    The Midwest, most notably southeast Missouri and southwest Illinois, is home to the New Madrid fault, a network of deep cracks in the earth's surface.
    The fault, at the center of the country's most active seismic zone east of the Rockies, produces numerous small quakes a year, most too weak to be noticed by the public.
    But in 1811 and 1812, it produced a series of earthquakes estimated at magnitude 7.0 or greater. It was not immediately clear Friday if the fault extends as far east as West Salem.
    • Click here for more on the New Madrid Seismic Zone.
    Even before Friday, earthquakes — or the possibility of them — in the central U.S. were getting plenty of attention.
    Early next month, agriculture extension officials from various regional states already are scheduled to convene an earthquake summit, hosted by the University of Illinois' extension service.
    Planners of the New Madrid Earthquake Emergency Preparedness Conference in the Ohio River community of Metropolis, Ill. say representatives from Illinois, Arkansas, Indiana, Missouri and Tennessee are to attend.

4. CBMS

CBMS Looking for a safe place

Pffft. a 5 is nothin, A shake on your feet I've slept through bigger. Now tell me when you have a 6.6 or bigger, that'll wake you up.
    (Sorry from California, used to nice big shakes.)

5. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I live pretty close..... it woke me up this morning.

Kinda scary really, you wonder if it's the big one on the New Madrid Fault Line.... if a big one ever really hits there, it's gonna be baaaad.

6. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah one BIG difference between one in the midwest and one in Cali is the fact that they ARE normal in Cali and as such the buildings are all constructed with quakes in mind and built to withstand them, here in the midwest they are SOOO rare (especialy anything that would shake more than a semi going past or a low flying jet) that most of the buildings really arent constructed with them in mind. So if we got anythin here big enouph for Cali folks to even figure it was worth noticeing or mentioning it would most likely bring down a LOT of the building especialy the big ones in downtown areas.

7. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

"one of the strongest ever recorded in Illinois " Faux news scare propaganda.

Actually they are not that RARE in the midwest. They are just so small and there aren't movie stars in the bootheel of MO to warrant media coverage.

[​IMG]

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well at least over at this side of MO (west side) I have lived here all my life and have never noticed one. I know there are supposed to have been a 2 or 3 felt in areas where I was but if I felt them I thought it was a truck driveing by or some such. The only time I THOUGHT might have been an earthquake was an explosion a couple miles away. I only remember hveing heard of about a half dozen in the last 20 years or so and those have been small amd mostly in the last 5-10 years.

9. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I live at the top/right hand corner of that blue box.... almost exactly.

10. TNZ71

TNZ71 PEACE THRU FIREPOWER

KcKn,

I was at Brooks Road and Mill Branch, my car shook like a strong wind was blowing. I looked at the red light and business signs but nothing else was moving, I rolled down my window but no wind only the roar of a FEDEX jet. One hour later I heared the news, weird. I worried about the 42" flat screen on my mantel until I got home, too cheap to buy the wall mount. Think I might have to rethink that and the hot water tank in the attic.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7