1. Given the media intensity given to the Corona or Wuhan virus, there seems no reason to have posts on that very specific subject in several forums Accordingly, all of those posts will be moved to "Headlines". All new items on that subject should be posted there as well. This notice will expire on 1 April, or be extended if needed. Thanks, folks.

Eating Healthier - Step one: No Microwave

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Brokor, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I don't own a microwave now. It's not so much the electromagnetic radiation or quickly super-heated food, as it is about the food being placed into the microwave. In order to facilitate my transition from nuking to cooking, I no longer own a microwave.

I purchased some additional cast-iron cookware.

I purchased a deep fryer and healthy oils (zero trans fat) like corn oil, vegetable oil.

I sometimes cook small meals in my toaster oven, and larger items in the stove/oven.

I also use a "Lean, Mean Grilling Machine" to make myself some burgers, which is healthier than pan fried or BBQ grilled burgers.

I use a rice cooker instead of the old fashioned way of rice, water, pan. This is for time constraint...thus, making rice cooking faster, easier, and better tasting (I think), which means I will make more of it. And I do!

Foods for this week:
    -Salmon (pre-frozen)
    -Tilapia (fish) *link to health info*
    -Flounder (fish)
    -Yellow Fin Tuna (fish)
    -Haddock (fish)
    -Frozen fish (various) fillets (bulk)
    -85 percent lean beef made into patties
    -100% semolina Linguine
    -Pickled eggs, homemade (vinegar, water, demerara sugar, sliced beets, pickled beets, salt, red onions)
    -Sauerkraut and dumplings (Bisquick) with either vegetables or beef roast...or both
    -Italian bread with fresh garlic (on occasion)
    -Nectarines/Clementines
    -Bananas
    -Celery
    -Baby Spinach
    -Various Lettuce
    -Tomatoes
    -Onions, Scallions

DRINKS:
    -Water (lots)
    -V8 juice (can make my own, but not always cost effective.
    -Natural, non concentrated juice (blueberry, pomegranate, orange, apple, etc.)
    -Tea (I make all kinds of tea) Hot/Cold
    -Milk (local dist. that doesn't use growth hormones)

*I snack on the veggies and fruits* I eat only two meals per day, with a glass of V8 in the morning with a piece of fruit or toast, or a cup of hot tea with the same. My two meals are afternoon and evening, and consist mainly of fish/rice.

EXERCISE: I try to do some type of exercise daily, and work out in the gym twice per week. I stay well hydrated.

SUPPLEMENTS: Currently, I am trying something different. Ginkgo Biloba as part of daily routine, but I am also using the Mega-T green tea supplement. I will let you know how it works out. Both are all natural. I take vitamin C just to be sure. Might be overkill.

For those who may be sore after workouts; bananas and apples, even in juice form will help out tremendously.

(147)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7