Eating Healthier - Step one: No Microwave

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Brokor, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I don't own a microwave now. It's not so much the electromagnetic radiation or quickly super-heated food, as it is about the food being placed into the microwave. In order to facilitate my transition from nuking to cooking, I no longer own a microwave.

I purchased some additional cast-iron cookware.

I purchased a deep fryer and healthy oils (zero trans fat) like corn oil, vegetable oil.

I sometimes cook small meals in my toaster oven, and larger items in the stove/oven.

I also use a "Lean, Mean Grilling Machine" to make myself some burgers, which is healthier than pan fried or BBQ grilled burgers.

I use a rice cooker instead of the old fashioned way of rice, water, pan. This is for time constraint...thus, making rice cooking faster, easier, and better tasting (I think), which means I will make more of it. And I do!

Foods for this week:
    -Salmon (pre-frozen)
    -Tilapia (fish) *link to health info*
    -Flounder (fish)
    -Yellow Fin Tuna (fish)
    -Haddock (fish)
    -Frozen fish (various) fillets (bulk)
    -85 percent lean beef made into patties
    -100% semolina Linguine
    -Pickled eggs, homemade (vinegar, water, demerara sugar, sliced beets, pickled beets, salt, red onions)
    -Sauerkraut and dumplings (Bisquick) with either vegetables or beef roast...or both
    -Italian bread with fresh garlic (on occasion)
    -Nectarines/Clementines
    -Bananas
    -Celery
    -Baby Spinach
    -Various Lettuce
    -Tomatoes
    -Onions, Scallions

DRINKS:
    -Water (lots)
    -V8 juice (can make my own, but not always cost effective.
    -Natural, non concentrated juice (blueberry, pomegranate, orange, apple, etc.)
    -Tea (I make all kinds of tea) Hot/Cold
    -Milk (local dist. that doesn't use growth hormones)

*I snack on the veggies and fruits* I eat only two meals per day, with a glass of V8 in the morning with a piece of fruit or toast, or a cup of hot tea with the same. My two meals are afternoon and evening, and consist mainly of fish/rice.

EXERCISE: I try to do some type of exercise daily, and work out in the gym twice per week. I stay well hydrated.

SUPPLEMENTS: Currently, I am trying something different. Ginkgo Biloba as part of daily routine, but I am also using the Mega-T green tea supplement. I will let you know how it works out. Both are all natural. I take vitamin C just to be sure. Might be overkill.

For those who may be sore after workouts; bananas and apples, even in juice form will help out tremendously.

(147)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7