1. The Topic of the Month for May 2017 is "Motivationals." Please join the discussion on the Survival Topic of the Month forum.

Electric cars should be competing against gas cars

Discussion in 'Peak Oil' started by Kingfish, May 20, 2011.

1. thebastidge

thebastidge Monkey+

But you look at the inefficiencies involved in that setup, and you'd be better off not even having a generator feeding into the batteries. Just have a dual-engine vehicle. One gasoline, one running electric motors off battery. Run the battery until it is dead, then run the gas. Or whichever is more readily available. Running a gas generator to then convert to battry power- uh uh.

Figure the gasoline engine runs what, 15-25% efficient? The rest is heat. The generator runs 90%? The battery>to electric motor>torque at the wheel is 85-90%?

So figure .15x.9x9= ~12% efficiency of your fuel. Stick with the straight gasoline to torque conversion.

Or even disregard the inefficiency of the gas motor, since it's common to both design (although a bigger gasoline engine is slightly more efficient). Just figure your generator conversion to electricity is probably less than 90% at charging your battery, and from the battery storage back to the wheels, it's not 100% either. Either way, you lose a great deal along the way.

2. prepperdad

prepperdad Monkey+

The trouble is in the efficiency of batteries. Gasoline is incredibly energy dense while batteries are not so much. Perhaps future technologies like Nano-batacitors would do the trick.

3. I work on batteries for a living. I don't see an electric car actually competing with a gas car and everything a gas car does today.

On the other hand, an electric car would make a decent foul weather vehicle for students and inner city commuters with no money and no space for parking. So really you are competing with a bike.

But first it needs to cost about the same, take up no more space than a bike, and weigh no more than a set of golf clubs.

4. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

After speaking with the Owner of Zapp Works. I learned why The United States has not changed a thing regarding what we drive on. The entire infrastructure(roads, bridges etc) are paid for with Gas and diesel taxes. Without changing to a wheel tax to pay for the roads nothing is going to happen. So the best way to beat the system right now is to either build it yourself or find a small builder who will build you one. I am now going to be using Nickel IRON batteries in my home for our solar set up. Once this system is up and running Ill be looking hard at having a short range electric car built. Then we will build a solar charger just for the car. KF

5. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+

A guy built this BAD @$$ pure electric in his garage.
    983d1335179170-unique-electric-car-website-pic-2.
    Here's the web site:
    www.electricevette.com/
    It uses standard deep cycle golf cart batteries,does hwy speed+,has a 200mi.+range per charge,can go off road,and is registered as a motorcycle.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7