Electric vehicles

Discussion in 'Peak Oil' started by hank2222, May 16, 2018.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I originally planned to build my own electric S10 pickup.
    Because based on 2006 to 2008 electric vehicle prices they just were not losing value.
    The catastrophic depreciation the mass market electric vehicles are suffering now was completely unexpected.
    My 2011 leaf cost less than what it would have cost me in parts to build my own electric S10 plus my leaf has heat and A/C.
    The leaf has way more range, almost the same power and charges faster than my S10 concept would have.
    I actually went so far as to attain a donar S10 extended cab with a bad engine and manual transmission almost for free.
    I actually ended up selling it in 2013 or 2014 for $850 when I realized how fast electric vehicle prices were falling.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Id like to have a EV full size wagon ,4 seaters are two too many .
    My main daily drive to village is 20 miles , next drive is loaded to 50 miles and then last drive is 300 to USA /GAS and fully loaded .
    I see power charging stations all over .BC hydro :

How to charge an electric vehicle

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If I build an electric vehicle I'd make it a hybrid .
    My thoughts are using a motorcycle and a trailer .
    It would be a supplementing device that was self contained in the trailer so that it served to cary the generator and battery system that would power the front wheel on the bike.
    A governed control would engage the front drive ,in concert with the throttle when the vacuum on the engine dropped to a certain point . Taking off and hill climbs then are automatically electrically assisted . Understanding what I do about mechanics the electric is to meant to stand alone ,only to contribute .thus the load still remains on the primary engine.
    Using a trailer ,it is easer to make modifications or abandon all together as necessary .it is a supplement not primary .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That was why I was going to use a pickup.
    The only advantage my concept would have over the nissan leaf is it would be able to charge while driving.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Thought I would add, my son got his 3 YO Leaf for $14K. The car sold new for $35K. Pretty steep depreciation curve, if not for all the subsidies/tax breaks, I don't very many would be sold. He's had it you a couple of years and is still happy with it.

His DW took the kiddos and grandma to the coast for a vacation. He had to borrow the a car as the Leaf didn't have the legs to make it without a 4 hour stop for recharge in-route. - he did find a public-accessible recharge port along the way, but the chances of it (single) being open were too slim to risk.

So - OK as a daily commuter. Maybe as an around town car, but not for travel. A hybrid might be the better choice, if one wanted to pay the extra. At this point, no tracks or vans available by any major player as well.

A diesel-electric setup with a small, constant speed genset, might be something seen in the future. Might.

6. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I've got a 2010 Honda Insight hybrid for my daily commuter car. It's been Rock solid dependable. New, it cost me $20k. At 250k miles, blue book value is still between $3k and $5k. Not too shabby for a low end value.

It uses torque assistance to help the gasoline engine accelerate or go up hills.

oldman11 likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A single or 2 pure electric vehicles like the leaf with limited range won't work for most families.
    A gas and an electric, yeah.

I'm the worst case scenario and I'm making it work.
    I live in the country, have a small battery car, the slow 3.8kw charger found on 2011 and 2012 pure electric cars, no public charging, I pull a trailer.

From what I hear even the new plug in hybrids use 3.8kw charging.
    Every pure electric car made after 2013 has built in 6.6kw charging.

Edit: nissan leaf up through at least 2015 can still have 3.8kw charging if you get the base model. If the car has a DC fast charge port then it has the beefed up electronics and will do 6.6kw on the evse and up to 50 or 60kw on a DC fast charger.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you want a completely quite EV they have a sound generator.
    I know in the 2011 and 2012 nissan leaf you can turn it off. I know by 2015 and up you can't turn if off.
    My preference is stealth mode.
    2018 and up electric and hybrids are all supposed to have it and you aren't supposed to be able to turn it off.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A million electric cars sold in the U.S., led by California

California. Has the most electric vehicles yet has the highest gas prices.
    I hear that gas there is still $3.50 a gallon, but no one seems to have any idea where that money goes because it sure as hell isn't being spent on the roads.
    As of 2017 there were almost 270 million cars on the road in the US.
    That's more than double the number from 2015.
    That means almost 4 our of every 1000 vehicles is electric.
    Even my nissan leaf was originally sold to some sucker in California for around $38,000. $8,500 of California state money helped pay for the car.
    No wonder they are almost bankrupt.
    My car was registered in socal from 2011 to 2014, the battery was toast and replaced under warranty in 2014 then it was moved to Illinois about the same time as the battery was replaced. Then this year I got it.
    5 years later the battery by my calculations still has a little over 20kwh of accessible capacity left, which is excellent.
    (A brand new 2014 nissan batt only has about 21.5kwh accessible)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Who wants to be forced to buy and drive an electric vehicle?
    If you vote democrat that's what you want.

The new green deal from AOC gets rid of all liquid fuel passenger vehicles and air planes. How the hell are you supposed to travel anywhere?

They don't care they're rich government officials so they will still have planes and all the shit we aren't allowed to have.
    This isn't to save the environment, it's a power grab.

3cyl, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I found out what makes electric car people go ape shit.
    At least the ones diluted enough to think that their vehicle is really "zero emissions", yeah they really hate being reminded that their car really burns natural gas and coal.
    NM has a lot of wind power but not so much at night when I usually charge mine, that means mostly natural gas and coal and I don't lose any sleep over it.

3cyl and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Ural has built a specialty Electric Side Hack.

Also this tidbit.

Sun, May 17 at 1:12 PM
    May Updates: Factory Reopening
    Optimistic
    Our Team at Redmond HQ and our partners around the world have been super busy, remain healthy and continue to take the necessary precautions to operate safely. We hope you and your close ones are weathering these times as well as possible and finding those silver linings along the way. :)
    Here's the latest news:
    The factory in Irbit is reopening this month and will resume production with initial shipments to Europe and Japan.
    Ramping up will take time and the first shipments heading to US will be arriving sometime mid to late July. US and Canadian dealers currently have good inventory levels but by mid June we expect some pre-order situations. The sooner you let your dealer know what you are looking for, the more precise we can plan production and get your bike delivered quickly. Please plan ahead. Dealers have never been set up better for remote orders and safe deliveries!
    May retail registrations in the US have been very strong, almost the same level as last year. This is great news! It's great that folks are feeling optimistic and plan on riding. As a result our New Jersey warehouse bike inventory is quickly thinning. We have approximately 15-20 day supply to support back-to-normal sales levels should the upward trend continue. Our focus now is to figure out how to replenish inventory as quickly as possible. Stay tuned for further updates!

Our Parts Department has been super busy and working fast to make sure we keep you on the road and/or occupied in your garage. The new Parts Drop Shipments service and waived drop shipping fees have been extremely popular.
    And, last but not the least.... 90 Days Warranty Extension*
    All Ural motorcycles currently under warranty will automatically have three months (90 days) factory warranty extension. All new motorcycle sales registered during the period between March 25 and June 30, 2020 will also have automatic 90-day warranty extension on top of standard 2 year manufacturer warranty.
    Stay Healthy and Safe!
    The Team at Ural
    * For US, Canada and Australia markets.
    CURRENT OFFERS
    Tech Tips: Air Filter Replacement

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I bet a lot more people wish they had an electric car as the second vehicle, for the spouse that lives really close to work or the wife doesn't have a job aside from keeping 2 or 3 kids alive.
    Too bad the stoopid democrat run epa effectly banned diesel powered cars.
    I hear virtually none of the gas stations are out of diesel, but half to a third in the effected area are dry.

16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My brother just built him self an electric bike from a kit,
    He is very impressed with it.
    For simply transporting ones self around town this may be the way to go.

HK_User likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Up to 77% of gas stations out of gas in NC.

Oh one of mayor but plugs people said "you should have bought an electric car" in reference to the east coast gas pipe line hack.
    All I can say is f you buddy.

Electric isn't for everyone.
    In California 1 out of 5 electric vehicle drivers going back to gas.
    1 in 5 EV Buyers Switch Back to Gas-Powered Cars: Study

-Depended on them for their only means of transportation—so essentially people who only had one car

- People who lived in places where home charging was difficult also abandoned electric vehicles at higher rates

- Generally younger, were more likely to rent their living spaces and were less likely to live in a standalone house.

- Women also switched back to gas-powered vehicles at higher rates than men, although the paper offered no concrete suggestion as to why that might be.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's not about making people switch to electric cars, they want no cars. You can stay home, walk, take a buss or train, get stabbed, ect.

The math shows that people who want this green energy future aren't doing a damn thing to make it happen.
    The math says the United States drives 3.2 trillion miles per year.
    My electric car gets about 4 miles per kwh or better, which is about 30% better than what the epa says it should get.
    To replace 3.2 trillion miles with electric that's 800,000,000,000 kwh, let's say all those miles aren't going to be driven by little electric cars, there going to be tractor trailers, mini vans, trucks, ect. So round it up to a trillion kwh. Which is still being really optimistic. Like fairy tale optimistic.
    So in 2020 the United States generated about 4 trillion kwh. To electric power vehicles we just have to increase electrical generation by 25%.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My brother was so impressed with his electric bike he built one up for his wife, and now finishing up one for me.
    He says it can maintain speeds of 23 miles an hour.
    According to California law if it goes much faster it has to be licensed.
    That's not a bad thing but I don't really need to go much faster any way being retired.
    I am seeing electric bikes all over the place now, young people and old. People that had not been on bikes in years because their knees can't take the peddling are loving this. My town has marked the roads for bicycles so it's a bit safer than being unmarked.
    I will still maintain my car and truck for serious issues, but for just going to town for small things and the coffee shop this is ideal.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

E-baikes, just the thing

E cargo bikes, just the thing instead of a car

E-bikes, a good way to die - here's why

pretty funny but lays out why e-bikes are more dangerous than motorcycles.....

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7