Email alert when in hurricane/trop. storm cone of probability?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by SlowBro, Jul 18, 2013.

1. SlowBro

SlowBro Monkey+

I know of a few services that will warn when I am in a tropical storm/hurricane watch, but this warning comes 48 hours before conditions begin. I want to be GONE by then, so I'd like to be alerted in case I forget to/cannot check the Weather Channel or something.

Anyone know of a service which alerts you when you're within the cone of probability? That can be as much as five days' notice, which is far better.

Hailing from relatively hurricane-free Jacksonville, FL... [slow]

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Nope...none that I am aware of alert to the cone...mainly because it isn't an alert or warning. Tracking The Eye (IIRC) gives email alerts/sms alerts when something develops in the tropics and has a (free) app for your phone to keep you updated.

Returning the hail from the track of Katrina's eye [gone]

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I'm a member of the local LEPC and get regular updates twice a day.... I'll see if I can get a link out to you...

4. SlowBro

SlowBro Monkey+

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

6. SlowBro

SlowBro Monkey+

Thanks, but I'm looking for email notification. If I just need to check a website every day I will, but what if I forget?

7. SlowBro

SlowBro Monkey+

Found a compromise. I put this into news.google.com:
    tropical storm OR depression

Then at the bottom there is a link to subscribe to new alerts. This will alert me whenever there's activity anywhere in the vicinity of the United States, so that I'll be sure to read updates every morning. It'll be noisier than a specific alert catered to my location but that's better than forgetting.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7