Emergency or Backup heating

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tempstar, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

With the cold weather approaching, I thought about my heat sources. I have a heat pump, but I don't want to burn generator fuel running it should we lose power. Then I have a Big Buddy with 6 20# tanks in reserve. Now I'm considering building an outdoor woodstove for heat and hot water, but I can promise you after growing up filling the woodbox every day, there is no one here that hates dealing with firewood any worse than I do.
    For fun, imagine your primary heat source inoperable, either no electricity, no wood, no propane, or whatever it uses. What is your back up plan?

Zimmy, mysterymet and Alanaana like this.
  2. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Propane torpedo heater

Tempstar likes this.
  3. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

As much as I hate to split wood we have an abundance of trees and a wood stove, plus a gas stove

Tempstar likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I use wood, wood chips the house has heat pumps and have propane, diesel/kerosene backup heaters.

Tempstar likes this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When things get tough I burn candles for heat.

Zimmy and Tempstar like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Storm Lamps is what we use, we can section off parts of the house here, so a couple of lamps will heat a few rooms pretty easy!

Zimmy and Tempstar like this.
  7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Have a 23K BTU kero heater, with a pair of 9K BTU units as back up. Have about 25 Gallons of kero / ULS diesel for burning.

Wife just picked up a Buddy heater -I guess she wanted a backup to the backup to the backup.

It's all good, we have most the kids living in town, they might need a loaner.

8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I could run a couple lamps for heat. It worked before with a frozen heat pump and teens to twenties for temps for about three days.

That's an extreme case here at the beach. I have a fan on today because it's too hot.

I'm looking at outfitting my fireplace and pot belly stove with waste oil burners. I have an abundant supply of waste oil, and testing in the fireplace with an oil fire sure beat dragging wood in. Growing up with wood heat in Michigan is a big part of why we settled here.

9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Heat pump, running off of solar. Wood stove, kerosene heater, propane heater, and if it's really cold a Rochester store lamp, maybe a couple of Rayo lamps ;)

For most cooler days here, opening the drapes provides sufficient heat.

10. hot diggity

86934-253c4135c068a110bc901063b1dfaf1d.
    Of all my heaters, this Perfection 1710 is my favorite. No fiddling like an Aladdin Blue Flame, no preheat like a Tilley, and no one direction heat like most gas and propane heaters. Just run the wick up til it stops, sit back and enjoy the glow.

Makes a wonderful pattern of light on the ceiling as well. :)
    1710 ad.

IMG_20211107_231417.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    Brokor, SB21, techsar and 2 others like this.
  11. hot diggity

There's always junk mail heat. That's how this one started. Long tall andirons let me burn just about anything and build a deep bed of embers to cook on. Plenty of air flow and the heat blasts out the front with the elevated flame. Maybe folks knew a thing or two back in the old days. IMG_20231202_233806.

Brokor and SB21 like this.
  12. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Ive had to go several days with no heat, teens and 20s at night 30s in the day. 75lb lab and a good sleeping bag are nice. Dang pellet stove auger broke.

Zimmy and CraftyMofo like this.
  13. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

LOVE IT! I got 2 myself, I occasionally use them to take the edge off in spring and fall because I enjoy the atmosphere they create.

-JW

SB21, Brokor and hot diggity like this.
  14. hot diggity

Full disclosure: I am a fire bug, a stovie, lamp loon, and huge fan of sideways fire. Anything that involves fire and pressurized fuel (gasoline/kerosene/propane, etc) or unpressurized fuel like kerosene and wood gas fascinates me.

Best thing about the Perfection and other wick lamps and heaters, besides their beauty and simplicity is that they aren't sensitive to kerosene age like pressure lamps. Old kerosene becomes useless for lighting in mantle lamps after a few years and black spots the mantles to uselessness. In pressure lamps there's a fix, (the Amish mix, 20/80 white gas/kerosene) but NEVER for non-pressure mantle lamps.

This is why variety, and actually working with your heaters and lamps is essential. Practice now or sit around in the cold and dark later. Burn stuff, learn what works and what doesn't. You are not going to be monitoring a Carbon Monoxide meter to see if your family has safe air to breath when you're trying to keep them from freezing. Yesterday was the time to do that. If you've done it you can relax and start working on Plan C, if not you're playing catch-up on something that can actually be a fun activity while you're warm, fed, and safe or deadly. Too late to Google a solution after the power is out and you wake up warm and groggy and can't wake your family. Yes, it's THAT serious.

It used to be "train like you fight.". Now it's "Train like you plan to survive."

The dreaded black spot.
    IMG_20200101_153248 (1).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Buddy heaters are good, but one must run them for a while before the warranty expires. I had 2 fail and now on #3 but it's doing well after a year. With that get a heat generated fan and make a shelf for it to sit on top of the buddy heater.

Brokor likes this.
  16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I have a ventless propane heater in the kitchen, gas-logs in the fireplace and 100 gals of propane in the tank, and the other fireplace burns wood. I have a portable propane heater that mounds on a #20 or 40 propane tank. I have a cast-iron wood stove in the barn, and the makings for 2-barrel stoves. Firewood is in the barn, dry and seasoned. Also, have chainsaws, bowsaw, 1 and 2-man crosscut saws, axes, mauls, etc.! As I keep telling y'all, I got plans for this!

hot diggity and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I have cases of Chili Beans , Food and heat !! ;)

18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Just eat and flick your Bic!;)

19. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

I have a gas fireplace, indoor safe propane heaters, and a case (24) of 110 hr liquid candles. Also have kerosene lamps in a couple of places, but probably wouldn't use them due to soot. I also buy a case of hand/foot warmers every fall so if all else failed would have those to fall back on.

Zimmy likes this.
  20. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I'm on electric heat pump plus 3 space heaters.

If that fails I have a couple of Mr. Buddy heaters and half dozen propane tanks.

I have two cases of those long burning gel candles.

I have several kerosene lamps.

There is everything I need to install a wood stove in the barn with 3/4 cord of wood I use for BBQ.

Then it's down to camping gear and body heat.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7