EMP Proof BOV's

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by OzarkSaints, Sep 21, 2009.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Reviving this old thread cuz I has questions...

The 2008 report "Report of the Comission to Assess the Threat to the United States fromElectromagnetic Pulse (EMP Attack)" has this to say about vehicles:
    "As is the case for automobiles, the potential EMP vulnerability of trucks derives from the trend toward increasing use of electronics. We assessed the EMP vulnerability of trucks using an approach identical to that used for automobiles. Eighteen running and non running trucks were exposed to simulated EMP in a laboratory. The intensity of the EMP fields was increased until either anomalous response was observed or simulator limits were reached. The trucks ranged from gasoline powered pickup trucks to large diesel-powered tractors. Truck vintages ranged from 1991 to 2003.

Of the trucks that were not running during EMP exposure, none were subsequently affected during our test. Thirteen of the 18 trucks exhibited a response while running. Most seriously, three of the truck motors stopped. Two could be restarted immediately, but one required towing to a garage for repair. The other 10 trucks that responded exhibited relatively minor temporary responses that did not require driver intervention to correct. Five of the 18 trucks tested did not exhibit any anomalous response up to field strengths of approximately 50 kV/m.

Based on these test results, we expect few truck effects at EMP field levels below approximately 12 kV/m. At higher field levels, 70 percent or more of the trucks on the road will manifest some anomalous response following EMP exposure. Approximately 15 percent or more of the trucks will experience engine stall, sometimes with permanent damage that the driver cannot correct."​

Seems the findings suggest that because of the need to shield computers to prevent them from being affected by already existing electromagnetic fields as well as preventing them from interfering with radio and gps vehicles are already protected for the most part.

Now, my questions:
    • Do the findings of this report only apply to trucks prior to 2003 (newest in the test group) since we don't know how well protected the newer electronics are?
    • Do we dismiss this report entirely because we suspect it's another plot to make us feel safe even though we are really at risk?
    • What would be prudent for newer/all vehicles with computer control to keep in "EMP proof" storage outside the controllers?
    • Is the smart move to play it safe and only use older pre electronic control vehicles even though they get poor mileage assuming fuel will become scarce?

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

These tests are very important and misleading.
    I could call "50kV/m" mans sorry attempt to artificially reproduce the EMP of a nuclear weapon.
    A nuclear EMP will produce more like 1MV/m (20x as much as the test). It can be as high as 50MV/m, but anything with in the 50MV/m radius is likely going to be vaporized.
    No effect at 50kV/M is encouraging.
    Having no effect on most vehicles up to 50kV/M rules out solar EMP which is around 1kV/M at the very worse.
    My 1985 all mechanical 6.5L GMC diesel should fair pretty well in most events it would seem.
    I find all the worry about solar EMP effect on vehicles highly entertaining.

It would seem that a newer vehicle would need a replacement for every electrostatic discharge sensitive component that the vehicle cant run with out.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7