EMP Shakedown!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by The Expendable, Jan 6, 2012.

1. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Those three Hurricanes in a month is what convinced me that moving to Florida EVER was out of the question!!! I'd rather stick to my power going out a few times a year due to storms, snow, & ice than risk having my house dropped on my head on a regular basis!1 LoL

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Do you have the adapter that allows you to refill the 1# Canisters from a 20# Tank? Just Ask'en.... That would extend their use considerably.... We use 1 Upside-down mounted 100# tank, and adapter to keep those Canisters full for the Neighbors that use them for Lighting. I have our Grill modified, so that it uses a 20# Tank, and Regulator, instead in stead of a 1# Canister, Just got tired of always having to switch out a canister in the middle of a cooking session. ..... YMMV....

3. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Something else that can help make sure the Kero will burn well is using a fuel stabilizer like Pri-D. One bottle will service a lot of gallons.

4. bfayer

bfayer Keeper Of The Faith

My Experiences

I spent my summers growing up in a cabin without electricity (still have the cabin, just can't spend as much time there). For light we used oil lamps.

Best lamps be far are Alalddin. They need to be watched and it's not a good idea to leave them unattended because they can flare up.

Dietz are the workhorse of lamps, They last forever are built very well and are easy to maintain.

Any other lamps are not worth my time. YMMV but this is based on years of experience messing with every type of oil lamp out there.

High quality paraffin based lamp oil lasts a long time, I have used lamp oil I pulled out of the shed that was at least 50 years old and it burned better than new kerosene.

Most of the time we burned kerosene because it was much cheaper and we had a lot it for our oil heater.

I am still using kero my dad bought before he died he 2001, some of it was probably 10 years old before he died. In fact I had to replace our kero tank because it rusted out, but the kerosene was fine (after I filtered out the rust).

For lamps, good quality paraffin based lamp oil is much better. It burns cleaner, and does not smell. Ir does not gum up the wick or smoke like kerosene.

kerosene smells a little when it burns, the lamps need a little more maintenance (like wick trimming), and they do leave soot spots on the ceiling above them.

If you use kerosene only buy 1K.

I only stock kerosene because it is available in bulk, I burn it in my heater, and it is much cheaper.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you have read my posts, you know I generate ALL my own power, and that lights the place. I also have backup Oil Lamps (Alalddin and wick type)that were here 20 years ago when I came. These are trimmed, fueled, and ready to use should that be required. In any prepping situation, you should have backups, and backups, for your backups. I like modern technology, but my backups use technology that goes back to pre-Electric Times... ..... YMMV.....

Guit_fishN likes this.
  6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I wonder if you have a gas well on your property what it would take to tap into it in the event of an emergency? Anyone know? Is this possible to do?

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yes, it is possible, but a LOT of variables, the biggest is well pressure. Go to pagaslease.com and mine the data.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7