EMP strike - oxygen tanks?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by fl4848, May 28, 2022.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

NBC is only slightly better than CNN gear (Can't Negate Nuclear)

Don't facepalm - I know some of you were thinking it but too wise to say it out loud.

Seepalaces and sec_monkey like this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[LMAO]

.. .. aint watchin none uv dems .. ..

Seepalaces and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I said, "in or near" nothing was said by anyone except you about "safe distances"...which is actually kinda boring. They make movies about the Titanic because it sank.

4. reconprepper

reconprepper Monkey

Cause firefighters just hold their breath while fighting fires? Lol.
    Divers wear a s.c.u.b.a. Self contained underwater breathing apparatus
    Firefighters wear an s.c.b.a. Self contained breathing apparatus.
    both use oxygen or they die. They both wear the tanks on their backs.
    Firefighters seem to not explode in fires unless they are near a bomb.

Seepalaces, BTPost and sec_monkey like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Big difference between Compressed O2 and Compressed Air, at ANY Pressure, when it comes to Combustion, at ANY Rate of combustion... The Compressed O2 injected into a fire, raises the Rate of Combustion many, many, times normal, where adding Compressed Air into fire would only raise the rate of combustion only a few times normal.. Classic case is the Apollo One Capsule Fire on the Pad, during the PlugsOut test... Had the capsule been at 5PSI of O2, or AIR, like what it was designed for, the Velcro wouldn't have caught Fire from a simple spark, or burned at all... but they raised the O2 pressure in the capsule to 21PSI to overcome the atmospheric pressure at SeaLevel, and at that pressure of O2, Velcro Explodes, when given ANY Ignition source in it's vicinity...

There was a fire in a downtown Apt Building yesterday in Salt Lake City… Fire started when an older man, using O2 to help him breath, thru a nose canular, was smoking his addicted Cigarette, inside his. Apt. The man usually smoked his Ciggybuts on the balcony, outside his Apt. but it was raining yesterday, so he decided to smoke inside his Apt… He was badly burned, and the building suffered major damage, from the fire, and the extinguishing of it…

sec_monkey and Seepalaces like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I watched a demo of oxygen from a welding tank applied to an oily rag in the sun, burst into flame.
    Seems to me that much of the air being used in breathing assistance is not as pure, the concentration of pure oxygen can burn tissue. machines brought home for breathing assistance are merely filtered nothing more.
    As for severe contaminants the filtering media needs to be something that will absorb and hold the contaminant and be removed/replaced regularly. Relative to radiation the whole filtering component needs to be disposable because merely replacing the filtering media does not remove the radio active charge in the housing.
    Best not be close enough to get contaminated to begin with.
    A Giger counter needs to be a serious prep.

Seepalaces likes this.
  7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

A home Oxygen machine is an oxygen concentrator, and does so with pellets of a chemical known as molecular sieve. The pellets absorb nitrogen and some trace gasses while allowing oxygen to pass through. On most, the only filter is a felt pad on the intake of the compressor inside.

8. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

"Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical" gear. Generally, a suit that seals up to prevent chemical/nuclear contamination and a mask that filters the air. Suits are bulky and have limited lifespan once opened.

I've sort of forgotten, but think it was 38-72 hr lifespan for the ones I used in Desert Storm. Had an integrated charcoal linig which was what decayed. (...and yes, got to use it...chem alarms went off on a SCUD attack one night)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7