EMP, the electromagnetic pulse countermeasures

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oil pan 4, Sep 3, 2020.

1. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Wow! Thank you. That'll keep me busy for awhile.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/...CISA_EMP-Protection-Resilience-Guidelines.pdf

the view form the hambone side of things -https://www.qsl.net/n9zia/emp.html (hint, read for giggles)

A bit old (1973) but from the folks at Oak Ridge labs
    https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/773423.pdf

Air University paper - https://media.defense.gov/2018/Nov/...DEMAIO_ELECTROMAGNETIC_DEFENSE_TASK_FORCE.PDF

from the boffins - Fast Rise-time Intensive EMP Protection for Communication RF Front End - IEEE Conference Publication
    Fast Rise-time Intensive EMP Protection for Communication RF Front End

reconprepper, Ganado and madmax like this.
  3. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

20210325_155056. 20210325_155056.

Does anyone have any input on these to use as emp protection. They are wrapped with duct tape metal tape and then copper tape. A couple layers of each. Inside is lined with cardboard. Then when full wrap the space between the lid and box with more aluminum and then copper tape.

Any thought? Thank you

20210325_155045.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The only way to really tell is to put a Battery operated Recording Spectrum Analyzer inside, and haul it up near one of your areas Hi Power RF Transmission Sites... When I lived in Seattle, we would use the Tiger Mountain Site for these type of tests I know Boeing used that site a few times... or for a quicky test QueenAnn Hill up where three TV Transmitter Towers are, and a Ton of Pager Transmitters, or Capital Hill which has two TV Towers plus aBIG AT&T LongLines Microwave Site...
    Then measure the db losses when you close the Lid...

chelloveck and JrOrtiz like this.
  5. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

Arggggggg. I thought it would be something like that. Never been able to get a clear answer before.

6. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

240MHz ~ 960MHz, 2.35GHz ~ 2.55GHz Handheld Spectrum Analyzer -115 ~ -5dBm Features Hold, Max, Ave, USB Port Includes Antennas (Directional and Stick), Battery
    Would something like this work?

7. BTPost

Only if it records, for playback later.... In order to fully characterize your box, you can’t have any wires passing thru the shield...

JrOrtiz likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Put a cell phone or cordless phone there and call it. If the phone rings you have your answer.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    Tempstar likes this.
  9. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

Both a cell phone and a radio dont work inside it but my understanding is that the neither have enough power to be an adequate test

10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

If they don't receive then it works. You have attenuated the signal enough to protect the devices unless you are standing right under the EMP event, then it rally isn't a concern.

JrOrtiz likes this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Even a short between the handle links and the lid will pass loose rf induced currents.

JrOrtiz likes this.
  12. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

I thought about that. Taped the inside of lid with both aluminum and copper

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

IF they don't get a signal then you know the box didn't fail miserably.
    Most "shield boxes" allow a phone to work just fine.

Tempstar and JrOrtiz like this.
  14. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

that and using a kitchen microwave are the two biggest prepper hoaxes going >>>
    that's been passed along about cell phones since the 1st days of those big bag phones - before that it was portable AM/FM radios

15. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

Can you go into more detail about cell phone issue?

reconprepper likes this.
  16. BTPost

Microwave ovens run at Gigahertz Frequencies... Usually at like 10Ghz... and Cellphones start at 800-900 Mhz and now there are bands upto and including 2.6Ghz and soon Above 10 Ghz... The issue is that EMP is a VERY, VERY, WIDEBAND phenomenon, which incompasses ALL the RF Spectrum from DC TO Light in one single Extremely High Power Pulse... So if your package/Cage/Box has leaks at any Frequency it just doesn’t do well in an EMP Attack... and you measure it’s shielding at just one, or just a few frequencies, you really are NOT getting a Clear picture of how well you package will work in such an EMP attack.. For many decades the Test Equipment to characterize such a Box wasn’t available, to all but a very few folks, and was very Expensive... So, trying to do the job with what you can find around, and commonly available in cities, limits how good of data you really get from your tests...

JrOrtiz and mysterymet like this.
  17. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

Thank you. That helps to explain a lot.

18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I use a steel filling cabinet.

JrOrtiz likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My microwave says it runs 2.5GHz.

JrOrtiz likes this.