EMP, The Electromagnetic Pulse

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oil pan 4, Jun 6, 2016.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I caught a reference to an app called (IIRC) zello that will do that now. Battery gobbler, 'cause the phone has to be on full time for the walkie talkie feature to be useful. No, I don't have one so can't comment other than knowing it exists.

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have seen that too, I hear it's not that great unless you can change batteries on your phone if you are trying to use it while away from your charger.

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well the idea that I'm too far south for a solar emp to knock out power can go in the wood chipper.
    This morning's geomegnetic storm produced a very brief very intense ground level voltage spike from about Virginia to Florida then as far West as Texas and Oklahoma.
    It caused a power transformer feeding Virginia Tech to burst into flames for no apparent reason.

I did notice that the ground level voltage was concentrating and and continuous around the area north and west of the state of Maine. So whatever part of Canada that is, you guys are totally screwed when the big one hits. Earth's magnetic field is going to focus that energy like a magnifying glass to an ant hill onto your region.

Edit:
    I found another instance where a geomagnetic storm lit up everything south of the mason Dixon, coast to coast, only about 0.4v per km and only for a few minutes. I don't know what the date was for that one.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Ganado likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@oil pan 4 would you mind posting a link where you are seeing these spikes?

Or did I miss it? You find the most fascinating things!

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Suspicious observers YouTube channel.
    I watch almost every day.

DKR likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh and he really hates man made driven climate change with a passion. Lol

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Normal CME move at around 1 million miles per hour.
    The fastest one on record, the big one in 2012 did a whopping 6.7 million miles per hour...
    I say round that to 7 million miles per hour for worst case scenario.
    So every thing could be over in 13 to 14 hours.
    That means forseeably you could go to sleep Friday night and sleep in and wake Saturday morning with no warning what so ever if you happened to not check the solar observation satellites live feed that evening and wake up to the end of modern civilization or worse.

Then there are solar particle events. A super CME the only evidence we have of them is spikes in carbon 14 and strange observations from people who didn't understand what they were seeing in 774ad known as the red crucifix event and again in 993ad. These things are the wild cards, hitting earth 200 to 5,000 years.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Brokor likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Well you can't stop it , best you an do is have a solid routine of putting things away in your faraday cage when not in use.
    My luck , I be exhausted and fall asleep with every thing out ,and abruptly be awakened by the popping and bursting in flames all the house hold electrical . Homes are one giant antenna with all the wiring. unlike the Carrington event when electricity was relatively new .

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yes, I think the most immediate threat is appliances catching on fire. Knowing how to disconnect your home from the power grid is crucial, do that and you are safe. Since a Carrington event only induces a few volts per km of wire.

Faraday cage is unnecessary.
    You are only going to get several volts of induction per kilometer of conductor even for a red crucifix level event, which probably isn't going to happen.
    Being under high voltage long distance power transmission lines will give you roughly the same level of induction as a solar particle event.
    A near by lightning strike that turns your TV on or off would be far worse than the SPE.
    The smallest thing it might be able to damage would be an off grid solar array, and even that's only a "maybe".

10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

6 months later Puerto Rico still has only 45% of power restored.
    A major solar storm knocks out power to most of the US we're fu€#ed. That's all there is to it.
    The US main land power grid is hundreds of times the size of little Puerto Rico.
    It could be many years before power is restored after the big one.

Ganado likes this.
  11. ghrit

PR is an entirely different fish stew than continental US. Here, maintenance gets done now and then. In PR, never done, or at least not done correctly or thoroly, always slapdash and half way jury rigged, and the money that should have gone into upgrades and maintenance went into the ether (as one might say.) In effect, the storm took it ALL out of service, and now it's like building the system up from scratch. There is no way that "system" can be restored, it is a complete, bare ground build.

As to a solar storm (or equal) raising cain, at least the towers would stand to hang wire from, so it would not be a green field build. The other thing is just exactly how devastating a hit would really be, there's a spectrum from "meh" to a complete wipeout. My money is on something between the extremes.

Tully Mars likes this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The standing power lines would probably be fine.
    The large transformers on either end of the long distance transmission lines will be smoldering scrap metal, along with anything else not protected by disconnects.

13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Seems that "if" isolating ones home from the grid worked, then wiring a magnetic starter on the main trunk line in might give a margin of security for the home .
    An atmospheric sensor designed to respond to electromagnetic impulse can trip the switch isolating the home. Or the electromagnetic coils when activated do the disconnect. And it would need to be built for a manual reset, protecting from stray voltages and people servicing the system .
    Depending on the homes proximity even being off grid to the event, the wiring it's self may act as an antenna ,gathering energy.
    On another note,
    Due to the continuing changes in the sun and our solar system and the earth's magnetic fields,
    If CME became a regular event ,it might be worth thinking about ways to take advantage of all the free energy being thrown at us.
    Of course if man is too stupid to learn how to make use of lightening, a CME would be even less appealing to a primitive mind .
    If no efforts are made while things seem calm, when the storm hit's there is no time to start a major concern in that direction except to put out fires so to speak .

14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Just get the disaster prediction app and pull your power meter.

T. Riley likes this.
  15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

@oil pan 4 I've been wondering how to isolate my home if one is on the way. If pulling the meter would work how about throwing the main? I actually have three 200 amp breakers. One after the meter, one on a whole house transfer switch and one in the breaker box.

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Since I don' know what the inducted potential is going to be would you rather have a 1/2 inch air gap or a 4 inch air gap.
    Plus the meter could melt down and set the house on fire possibly.

T. Riley likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Now all of a sudden the lame stream media is interested in solar weather.
    I saw one saying that there was a massive solar storm going to hit, well now.
    Them last month daily mail reported a huge solar storm story, well that was nothing.
    They're saying "massive solar storm" but it's barely enough to effect anything on earth or in orbit.
    For duration it's massive, but danger and effect on tech it's barely worth mentioning.
    Is this an attempt at public desensitization?
    Keep reporting "massive solar storms" that do nothing up until the big one hits...

18. ghrit

The mainstream will totally screw up any forecasts that they don't quite understand. There are several sites that astronomers and ham operators use for solar weather predictions. I'll try to dredge one or two up tomorrow if no one beats me to it. MSM "massive" means nothing at all.

19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Space weather news dot com is a pretty good one.

DKR likes this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Amazing 1950s and 1960 nuclear EMP training videos. Going back to just after starfish prime.
    If there is an emp holy grail this is probably it.

1. DKR
  2. stg58
  3. Waydah
  4. Brokor
  5. UncleMorgan
  6. The_Prepared
  7. Ganado
  8. apache235
  9. scpn
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Lancer
  13. Lancer
    Resource

EMP theory 2018-04-11

Stumbled across this while looking for old schematics.
    Posted By: Lancer, Apr 11, 2018 in category: Communications
  14. oil pan 4
  15. 3M-TA3
  16. arleigh
  17. Witch Doctor 01
  18. T. Riley
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7