EMP, The Electromagnetic Pulse

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oil pan 4, Jun 6, 2016.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The only protection you need from Solar EMP is disconnect from the power grid. If you are close enough to get EMP effects from a ground level nuke you wont need to worry about it.

Ganado likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Here's a new/old electric and magnetic phenomena no one's seen in a while.
    Crown discharges.
    They were first identified in the 1950s. Which was the time of off the charts solar activity. No one's really seen them in the last 20 to 40 years. Now they're almost common.

Jump to 3:05 for earth discharges and crown discharges.

3. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I got a little itch about this the other day as I was studying for a HAM license and equipment upgrade. Took an idea from a pretty prolific poster on HAM stuff on youtube. Got a galvanized trash can and did some hacking. HT's, a mobile unit, asolar charger, and 2 batts getting some protection.. JIC

4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I did the same thing with a 55 gal. drum. I taped all of the joints with metallic tape, insulated it with cardboard, filled it with electric tools and electronics ( in Faraday bags), and sealed it.

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You do realize that simply being under power lines will induce way more voltage into electronic gear than any solar storm.
    The earth would have to lose its magnetic field and atmosphere before a solar storm could induce more voltage than a power line.

6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

I"d like to see data supporting that. With the interest in personal electronic devices these days, that must have been tested and reported.

reconprepper and Tully Mars like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The ground level voltage induced from a solar storm is measured in induced volts per kilo meter of wire. The Carrington event induced around a few volts per Km of wire.
    I can get several volts in to build up in 100 feet of electronic fence that runs under overhead power lines.
    My supporting evidence is I looked up how many volts per km a solar storm induced and then tested a run of wire much shorter than a km running under a power line. It's kids stuff.
    The only things a solar storm can damage is stuff plugged into the power grid.

8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

bulb lights up with no wires attached. Lots of these vids on line.

then again, next to a powerful, full output CB radio (5 watts AM) you get this

So, yeah, YMMV

9. DKR

Induced voltage from solar storms - a study

Solar Flares Threaten Utilities

money quote:

Damaging Earth Currents

The earth is a conducting sphere with a corresponding magnetic field. When solar plasma is spit our way, it flexes the earth's magnetic field, and this can induce voltages (and currents in closed circuits).

and

Loss Estimates in the Millions

Until 1989, these losses were probably investigated and erroneously attributed to overheating causes other than GICs as the root cause. In fact, there is no long-term evidence of GIC-caused transformer problems. However, these facts remain:

1. The failure frequency of generator step-up transformers is much higher in the GIC susceptible regions of the United States than elsewhere.
    2. The mean time-to-failure is also shorter in the GIC susceptible regions of the United States.
    Conservative cost estimates of equipment replacement due to GIC events put the total damage to the industry at upwards of $100 million. Also, the Oak Ridge National Laboratory assessed the potential economic damage of a widespread blackout in the Northeast United States as a result of a slightly more severe storm than the March 1989 storm at $3 billion to $6 billion.

Induced current (eddy current) will cause a transformer to saturate, overheat and then self-destruct.

reconprepper likes this.
  10. DKR

Want More Information?

Visit these web sites for in-depth studies and current solar conditions:

"Lessons Learned from Solar Cycle 22 and Outlook for Cycle 23," an IEEE paper by John Kappenman, May 1996: (www.mpelectric.com/storms/index.htm). Many of the compiled facts and figures come from Kappenman’s paper.

The Space Environment Center, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce (www.sel.noaa.gov/index.html). Check out today's space weather. This page has hundreds of links, including international partners, with extensive information about solar weather.

Electricity = magic. (ie unseen and unknown...)

reconprepper and Ganado like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

So you are much better off knowing how to disconnect your house from the grid than building make believe emp shields

12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Whether you are connected to the grid or not the EMP will still have an effect on any metal particularly if it is grounded.
    What is not grounded will hold a capacitive charge for a while.

Ganado likes this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The sun let out a C7 solar flare pointed right at us early on the 7th.
    Normally C7 ain't shit but this one got a boost and is going to hit as hard and fast as a C7 possibly can, so expect minor things to happen.

Ganado likes this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i have to confess ignorance about solar flares. i understand they distrupt electrical systems and affect the weather but beyond general things i dont understand what they do at a day to day level. can someone provide more info?

15. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

A bit enough one can take out the grid. That would be a large X class flare

16. DKR

@Ganado

check out www.Suspicious 0bservcers site. Lots of videos that will walk you through the upcoming mess.

17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

ive watched a bunch of those... still not enlightened.. just saying

18. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

Small CME coming

SWS GEOSTAT ALERT NUMBER 201: STATUS 5
    CME OBSERVED
    GEOMAGNETIC STORM POSSIBLE WITHIN 2-4 DAYS
    ISSUED AT 0319 UT ON 08 Dec 2020 BY SPACE WEATHER SERVICES
    FROM THE AUSTRALIAN SPACE FORECAST CENTRE
    FWIW Cheers

19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well for the last 3 years there has been almost 0 solar flaring.
    Early indications are that this may not be a low activity solar cycle. In the last 6 montha the sun has ramped up like it's going to be a big solar cycle.

20. DKR

@Ganado

Lesson 1 The Van Allen Belts
    ESA Science & Technology - Earth's plasmasphere and the Van Allen belts

Lesson 2 Solar impact on the VAB - this from the 2003 Halloween storm"
    Summary - An extreme distortion of the Van Allen belt arising from the 'Hallowe'en' solar storm in 2003 - PubMed (full article An extreme distortion of the Van Allen belt arising from the ‘Hallowe'en’ solar storm in 2003)

Lesson 3 - Health impact of geomagnetic storms
    Geomagnetic disturbances driven by solar activity enhance total and cardiovascular mortality risk in 263 U.S. cities | Environmental Health | Full Text (yes, this sh!t can kill people)

Lesson 4 - The Grid, the Sun and You
    https://fas.org/irp/agency/dod/jason/spaceweather.pdf (large pdf)

Impacts of geomagnetic storms on EHV and UHV power grids (transmission infrastructure impacts) - since you have a nuke plant IIRC in your back yard, I included this.

Disastrous space weather risk on large-scale power grid - IEEE Conference Publication (summary) grid failure modality

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...c+Grid-Schrijver_et_al-2014-Space_Weather.pdf PDf of studly of insurance claims related to solar storm damage. CAUTION NoDoze may be required.owing to the mass of charts & data. Pretty granular.

Where you live matters-
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10712-019-09579-z
    The Role of Global/Regional Earth Conductivity Models in Natural Geomagnetic Hazard Mitigation

A lot of this is peer reviewed monographs from reliable (University/Govt/Foundation) sources.

Distilled - in a major solar storm going forward

[​IMG]

I'm very sensitive to this issue set living in Alaska - the climate is lethal all winter long. We have a fall back, in Texas, but getting there will be the issue. Grid down = no power = no motor fuel.

My hope (and this is all I have) is that we can sell out and move to TX or SoAz before the shtf....

Ganado likes this.
  1. DKR
  2. stg58
  3. Waydah
  4. Brokor
  5. UncleMorgan
  6. The_Prepared
  7. Ganado
  8. apache235
  9. scpn
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Lancer
  13. Lancer
    Resource

EMP theory 2018-04-11

Stumbled across this while looking for old schematics.
    Posted By: Lancer, Apr 11, 2018 in category: Communications
  14. oil pan 4
  15. 3M-TA3
  16. arleigh
  17. Witch Doctor 01
  18. T. Riley
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7