EMP, The Electromagnetic Pulse

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oil pan 4, Jun 6, 2016.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Probably better off staying in AK. The winter will eliminate most of your unprepared.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I worry that it will also eliminate me! I'm good for about 90 days in the summer time (following my FIL viewpoint)

In the winter, it's two weeks and if it looks long term - sell what we can and bail....I have monitor heater, but it requires AC to work....and fuel.

No AC, no fuel. No fuel, no heat. No heat... pretty circular.

3. DKR

A peer reviewed paper just released from China of all places.
    Error - Cookies Turned Off

Why am I postirig this one?
    Funding information: National Natural Science Foundation of China, 52067018 (No Al Gore or Greenie crap frond here)

From the Abstract summary:
    Abstract
    The reactive power losses caused by the power grid Geomagnetically Induced Current (GIC) severely disturb the static voltage stability of power systems, and may even trigger voltage collapses. In this paper, the 1 V/km uniform induced geoelectric field is adopted to analyze how greatly geomagnetic disturbance (GMD) can influence the static voltage stability of power systems, given the features of GMD disasters hitting the power grids of China.

China's electric grid suffers from many issues - mostly from poor engineering and substandard materials.. The North American grid,, from decades of neglect and running at capacity with little in the way of redundant paths..

The Chinese data and findings parallel several of the papers I posted earlier on the board re:GIC issues. This paper was released this month.

Nothing has improved in the outlook for GIC caused outages, particularity in the northern tier of the US.

This back ground information presented for your review and any action as you may find provident.

3M-TA3 and BTPost like this.
  4. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

okay, there were many forums to choose from but this was the last one I read so I will ask the questions here.
    I am way out of my league here so dont laugh too hard at my questions!
    so no matter what causes the EMP, i.e. solar flare or man made device... it takes "X" amount of grounding to overcome that surge?
    A faraday cage also needs grounded?
    I happen to have access to an almost unlimited supply of copper and galvanized ground rods and grounding accessories. would it be feasible to have ground rods driven in my yard next to the drive way and some how ground my truck if we see a solar flare coming or if the air raid sirens go off? Jumper cable from battery to ground rod? or would an earth ground just drain the truck battery?
    id like to find a use for all these supplies.

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A solar storm isn't going to effect any not connected to the power grid. Anything smaller than an off grid solar farm shouldn't be effected by a solar storm.
    It is very difficult to produce an emp out side of a vehicle without a nuclear weapon strong enough to damage it.
    It took something like thousands of volts per kilometer of wire of induction to even start to effect vehicles that were running. I think the test I read was 50,000v per km of wire. That appears to be impossible to get from solar. It takes a direct lightning strike on a turned off vehicle to damage it.

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

So the EMP that took out the warship and the cruse ship had to be massive.

7. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

that brings up another point. A lot of what I am reading sounds like the things that are large enough to cause problems will have either a Primary or secondary "damaging effect" that would render the efforts to protect the item useless. I may be wrong… I like to be prepared but can we be truly ready for EMP? I don’t mean as a society… I hear (and my nomenclature is probably wrong) people talk about “hardening the grid” and things like that. I’m sure that is important… however, say I wanted to protect a HAM radio setup… given an EMP strong enough to ruin those types of electronics, how would I protect my set up? I’m sure it all varies greatly and I’m speaking in broad general strokes. Perhaps I’m just to green on the issue.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The thing about EMP, Solar Flare, Lightning Strikes, Ect, is that each effect attacks the electrical systems differently, and thru a different mechanism…Solar Flare stuff is concerned with LONG Wires cutting across GeoMagnetic Force Fields in which they induce electrical currents into those said wires, and are long term influences on the order of hours… EMP is associated with Extreme High Energy Pulses of Electromagnetic energy in extremely Widebandwith Pulses that have extremely short duration.. Once they have traveled by they are GONE..Lightning Stikes are Usually a single High Energy Pulse, that is very localized to a small area of dissipation, and maybe a wideband pulse, but with very narrow pulsewidth, and once it is gone, it is,Gone..

Your ham radio is protected by disconnecting the Antennas completely and having a lightning arrestor on the Antenna side of the disconnection…Also by disconnection from any PowerGrid source… I like having a 12Vdc Battery that powers my Radios, and a 13.4Vdc 30 Amp Regulated Power Supply as a Charging source for the Battery… Then just unplugging the Power Supply from the Grid when I disconnect the Antennas, while the danger is imminent… Where you live Solar isn’t really an issue much as your grid isn’t at higher latitudes where solar flare tends to cross perpendicular to your Grid Lines.. Lightning Strikes are a lot more likely, and an EMP STRIKE AT THAT USAF Base just north of town is not out of the question…

The time to put grounding rods down was before they poured the concrete for your driveway.. A grid of Grounding Rods, all connected in parallel, and the brought to the surface to a common Grounding Point works really well… When I had our house in Lynnwood, Washington built, decades ago, I went and drove a grid of twenty 6’ Copper Grounding Rods into the ground, and connected them all to a Stainless Steel 10” long 1” Bolt near the back door of the lower floor of the split level home, with #8 Stranded Copper Wire.. all this before the concrete Pad and foundation of the structure was poured… The stainless Bolt came up thru the concrete wall foundation and thru the lower Wall Plate for the back of the house… Then when I installed the 60’ Tower for the Radioroom it was just outside to the left of the back door, and adjacent to the Stailess Bolt… The RadioRoom was on the inside of that wall and I had a 1’ square area that wasn’t insulated, and a Copper Plate with a dozen Double Female flange mount thru N Connectors mounted to bring the coax cables into the Room… Each Connector, in use, had a InLine N Connector Lightning Arrestor on the outside of the plate, so that all I had to do was disconnect the Antennas from each radio… I had a pair of L16 HD batteries in a Box also next to the Tower and a Pair of 1O power Cables were connected thru two Two Feedthru Bypass Capacitors to the PowerBuss that fed the Radios.. and connected to the Power Supply sitting on the floor, under my desk and was powered by a switched AC Power outlet switch inside the room.. This setup served us very well, till we moved permanently to Alaska in ‘91…

TinyDreams and TheJackBull like this.
  9. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

what one is more likely to disrupt communication and what one would be more "grid" centric? solar flare sounds more like a grid if I’m thinking literally about long runs of wire... but does that mean that small electronics would survive if they are simply unplugged?

10. BTPost

Yes exactly, for a Solar Flare type incident… also reread whatI wrote, because I have edited and expanded that post a few times since the original post…

TheJackBull likes this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Yer Tax Dollars at work - the EMP Commission reports belong in all EMP threads. An EMP won't likely affect your vehicle, but the power grid and communications would suffer. With a CME, however, all bets are off.

Homepage

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Solar flare and nuclear will disrupt communication in their own ways.
    Both will energize the upper atmosphere and scramble signals from satellites and communication from the ground that bounces off the ionosphere for hours even days with solar.
    Solar flares are more likely to take out geosynchronous communication satellites by various mechanisms because they are 100,000 miles up, it may fry them on the spot or they may fail days or months later.

You better be able to unplug your whole house from the grid.

13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

A note about grounding,
    Several years ago I met a fellow that worked for the local phone company, and in order to establish a round for the local service they had to first build a underground vault and drive copper plated steel rods in every direction from that vault to establish enough ground to satisfy the requirements because there was too much quartz in the area.
    Another fellow I met watched lightening hit a yard next door and travel past the chain link fence and into his own ground and into the house and it burnt up his electronics.
    A man I knew well installed the microwave towers in the mountains and for His own radio antenna ran a ground from the antenna tower to the grounding rods around the antenna in a long sweeping arc to hold the flow going to the grounds.

14. BTPost

Look up “ Ufer Ground” for that is what we are talking about here… they make the best RF Grounds, as well as AC Grounding Systems for Generation System Plants especially in soils with very low conductivity… Most Electrical Distribution System Engineers will be very familiar with this requirement, where most Residential Electricians will give you a Blank Stare… Anyone who went thru a College Electrical Engineering Motor Generator Lab course should remember that week where they covered Ufer Grounds…

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The only real ground I have around here is my 120 foot deep well.

16. DKR

I found this worth the time to watch

17. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

Yes I also have access to ufer grounding accesories or bonding bridges. It seems most new houses are using those to ground to their foundations around here. Can you "Over" ground a system? Again please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject.

18. BTPost

Nope, can not Over Ground unless you spend more money than you can afford…

19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have simple steel cabinets for my electronics . I figure that if these don't survive I probably wont survive either.

Tempstar likes this.
  20. DKR

Severe thunderstorms hit parts of Queensland, Australia on October 18 and 19, 2021, bringing heavy rain, giant hailstones, and tornadoes. The largest hail was reported in Bloomsbury and Yalboroo, north of Mackay in North Queensland on October 19.

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Shane Kennedy said they've seen some convincing images of hail up against a tape measure of 16 cm (6.29 inches).

The Australian record is around 14 cm (5.5 inches) mark, Kennedy said, adding that it looks like they have a new Australian record for hail.1

Hail that size has a terminal velocity of well over 100 km\h (62 mph).

The world record for the largest hail is 23.59 cm (9.29 inches) recorded in 2018 in the town of Villa Carlos Paz, Argentina.
    (Giant hailstones pummel Queensland, likely the largest seen in Australia since records began)

South pole keeps wandering....

1. DKR
  2. stg58
  3. Waydah
  4. Brokor
  5. UncleMorgan
  6. The_Prepared
  7. Ganado
  8. apache235
  9. scpn
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Lancer
  13. Lancer
    Resource

EMP theory 2018-04-11

Stumbled across this while looking for old schematics.
    Posted By: Lancer, Apr 11, 2018 in category: Communications
  14. oil pan 4
  15. 3M-TA3
  16. arleigh
  17. Witch Doctor 01
  18. T. Riley
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7