Entertainment during TEOTWAWKI

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tempstar, Oct 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

In my youth I played drums in a band, and ended up with an Aria Pro II guitar from one of the band mates. Twenty years went by before I picked it up to learn it. Last year I treated myself to a new Ibanez and a cool amp that runs on batteries, 12 volt DC , or a wall-wart. During the rare times that nothing else is going on I hack out some Boston or Molly Hatchet or Styx. Now I want a survival guitar, an acoustic for the long days spent waiting for the rest of the population to die off. I've never heard of a survival guitar and may end up building one from scratch. The thought hit me this evening while playing "Overkill" that this would be my entertainment for the end times that I don't want to come. Maybe crank up the 100 watt Crate head sitting on the 4-12 Earth cabinet, wind up the distortion and call in the zombies with some "Stranglehold" (Note- I have determined Ted Nugent to be the ultimate zombie apocalypse music). I have no doubts that the appropriate Van Halen wail will drive off packs of wild and hungry animals away just as sure as the second solo of "Comfortably Numb" will lull beasts to a catatonic state and allow easy hunting.
    The whole purpose is this: What plans do you have in place to fight boredom while your Apache chopper is being reloaded? How do you stay sane while waiting for the snow to melt away from the front door or the radiation levels to drop? One never hears much about entertainment in survival plans.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Just hook up a Taylor to your battery powered amp...what more do you need? ;)

Ok...maybe a Gretsch (y)

Dunerunner, Seepalaces and Yard Dart like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Never really thought about that. I just figured there'd be plenty of target practicing going on at multiple distances.

Dunerunner and Seepalaces like this.
  4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

191284_3565147842547_1092352355_o. Been doing it ever since the shit hit the fan, I write stories, write music, converse with people from different AO. I build, repair, reload, plant, tend, harvest, and protect.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Don't forget a deck of cards. If you can't find a fourth for bridge, there's always solitaire.

6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Build more weapons. Hoping to guitar soon...had planned on learning banjo, but my hands are too big to use it properly. Makes me more than sad, but Celtic guitar is almost as good as Celtic banjo.

Dunerunner, Seepalaces and SB21 like this.
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have a sneaking suspicion that in that type of a scenario there will be little time for anything but work, eat and sleep but...probably drink, play cards, and I do have a harmonica which I've been playing since I was a kid, easier to pack around than a guitar and more unique. :)

Dunerunner and Seepalaces like this.
  8. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Board games. I suspect it will be a bigger problem than many realize as we are so used to being entertained.

Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Seacowboys - Don't we need a new federal law limiting the number of guitars any one individual can own?
    :D

10. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Never thought about it much because figured on being busy maintaining resources, loading ammunition and pulling guard duty on perimeters.

Reminds me - need to find an easy way to distill water for battery maintenance.

Dunerunner and SB21 like this.
  11. Seacowboys

That got me thinking, I was once arrested for aggravated assault for beaning a few folks with a banjo up in East Tennessee, how many people are murdered with musical instruments each year? I found a few on-line that were beaten to death with guitars but no real statistics. I'll bet that if you discount the mass-shootings, there are probably as many killed by guitar as there are "Assault" rifles. Especially by kids trying to learn Led Zepplin...

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

We have cards, board games and a huge craft box which includes lots of paracord for weaving things. Books, drawing and coloring supplies have been collected. Each person in the house seems to have a different interest/hobby so I have made sure to have materials for those hobbies. One son just got a jews Harp and is learning how to play that.

Itchba, Legion489 and Dunerunner like this.
  13. Seacowboys

I broke a tooth on a jews harp when I was a kid

techsar and Dunerunner like this.
  14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Board games, Chess, Backgammon, Books, a passable Yamaha Studio acoustic guitar, piano, then there is the fishing, hunting, plowing, planting, harvesting, canning, preserving, not to mention the trapping, perimeter security, defensive implementations, and finally the brewing, fermenting and most importantly the distilling and drinking! :D

15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Well, we have long term power so video games and movies , cards, board games and hunting and fishing 24/7

16. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Making stuff

Itchba likes this.
  17. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Well after the rape and plunder gets old, you could try murder and pillage (aka "Hitlery politics") I guess. If that doesn't work out, how about burn and loot (aka "playing antifa")?

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

How does one do that? I do not want the kid breaking a tooth.

My son now wants a didgeridoo for Christmas. I am seeing a trend of him wanting to learn to play instruments that are not the norm.

19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have collected several instruments along life's path through the years as well as books for learning them.
    Two motives behind this , one is to learn my self , I found that challenge in learning something stimulates the brain keeping it sharp. Though a person is smart, leaning on ones laurel's will stagnate the brain, and eventually decline on it's own. Alzheimer's .
    Just like there is a signal to the brain that an injury has occurred, it sends white blood cells to plug the holes and antibodies to deal with infection and healing to the injury. the brain needs challenge to learn and store and retrieve thought .
    There are a great many other things I've set aside for TEOTWAWKI entertainment .

Motomom34 likes this.
  20. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Sex! We are going to need more like minded people to farm, chop wood, fix stuff, teach the next generation, security.
    Seriously .. if we ain't making babies .. it'll be like we weren't even here.
    ;)

oldawg, Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7