Eye Care

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Motomom34, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is a very important topic because you only get what you have so one should take good care of their eyes. With the advancement of screens and artificial light, studies show that the deterioration of eyesight is increasing. Deterioration of vision is no longer just an elderly issue. I have been in the grocery store and seen children staring at a phone while their parent shops. Makes me wonder how that child’s vision will be when they are in their 30’s. Protecting your eyes against UV rays can prevent cataracts. This means having a good pair of sunglasses.

First thing is to get your eyes checked regularly.

Specific vision problems can benefit from specific solutions, according to the AOA:

• Sensitivity to bright light. Choose sunglasses that block 75% to 90% of visible light. In addition, sunglasses that block 99% to 100% of ultraviolet A and B radiation help protect against cataracts. Choose sunglasses that also block the blue wavelengths. Don't wear dark glasses at night or indoors. Doing so can make eyes more light sensitive over time.
    • Itchy, burning or red eyes. These symptoms can result from dry eye conditions common after age 50, or from high mucous production in allergy-prone contact lens wearers. Using artificial tears may help with dry eye. Some allergy sufferers can get some help from switching to disposable or daily wear lenses. Contact lens wearers and adults older than 50 with these symptoms should consult an eye care professional for appropriate treatment.
    • Trouble with glare. If nighttime headlight glare is an ongoing problem or if you work in visually demanding situations, ask your eye care professional about antireflection-coated lenses. These can help reduce glare and reflections both day and night. Remember, for older adults, an increased sense of glare may be a symptom of beginning cataracts and a reason to get an eye exam.
    • Reduced vision in aging eyes. In addition to a new eyeglass lens prescription, a helpful measure for older eyes is to place more lamps in the home and install task lighting. Choose high-output fluorescent bulbs to increase light output while decreasing energy usage. Eliminate glare with indirect lighting.
    • Problems with new glasses. If, after a few days of wearing new lenses, you continue to have blurred vision, double vision, or other problems, see your eye care professional. The problem may be solved by an adjustment to either the frame or the prescription.
    • Annoying spots in front of your eyes. Generally, seeing spots or floaters is a common, harmless experience of aging. Seeing flashes, or, in some cases "floaters," however, may signal something more serious like diabetic retinopathy, carotid artery disease, or early-stage retinal detachment. Call your healthcare professional if you have symptoms.
    Taking Good Care of Your Eyes - Health Encyclopedia - University of Rochester Medical Center

Sunglasses:

When shopping for shades, the most important thing to look for is the level of UV protection offered by the lens. The safest bet is to buy sunglasses that provide 100% UV protection, or UV 400 protection. That means that the glasses protect your eyes from both UVA and UVB radiation. Most expensive sunglasses offer this level of protection on all models. However, there is a wide selection of glasses for $29.99, $19.99, and even $4.99 that provided 100% UV protection.

That being said, you shouldn't confuse lens quality with UV protection. While a pair of $5 sunglasses may protect your eyes just as well as a $200 dollar pair, the quality of the lens may differ widely. Generally, when you buy a more expensive pair of sunglasses, you will be getting a higher quality lens that will provide a clearer, sharper, more pleasing image with less distortion.

Diet:

I always heard carrots were good for your eyes but others foods also help:

3c5bfcb0b8a500fbf79f661aef575147--best-weight-loss-healthy-weight-loss.

There is an exercise called Trataka yoga that is supposed to help strengthen your eyes.

Trataka is attributed to have the following benefits:

• Improves concentration, memory, and willpower
    • Improves visualization skills
    • Improves cognitive function
    • Cures eye diseases
    • Makes the eyes stronger, clearer, and brighter
    • Helps with insomnia
    • Clears accumulated mental/emotional complexes
    • Brings suppressed thoughts to the surface
    • Increases nervous stability
    • Calms the anxious mind
    • Balances the activity in the two hemispheres of the brain
    • Improves vision in the dark (if practiced on a candle flame)
    • Soothing effect on the cranial nerves (Dr. Giridar Yogeshwar)
    • Enhances self-confidence and patience
    This is a really interesting article: Trataka Meditation: Still Eyes, Still Mind | Live and Dare

Dunerunner, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Dunerunner, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I can appreciate this thread.
    Vision has become a serious issue for me through the years.
    I have discovered the sensitivity my eyes have to the environment I spend most of my time in .
    I avoid bright sunlight and wear sun glasses often as possible, and wear safety glasses while working in the shop.
    If i fail to guard my vision I get a stigmatism that robs my ability to read and decide which front sight to align with. no kidding.
    Along with your list , have you heard of chewing weeping willow ?

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

So glad I finally got my cataract surgery done while I was employed and had my department health insurance.
    It ain't cheap out-of-pocket!

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

No I have not. I know that is what you can make aspirin from willows. Willows are good for pain and fever but I have never heard for eye care. Have you tried it or did you find it in an old medical journal?

Dunerunner likes this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I wear polarised sun glasses all the time, and have night/flying versions as well! This is a serious concern, especially to maintain visual acuity and depth perception! I have really awesome night vision, and these measures have really helped preserve this. Ad I get older I have been forced to use cheaters for reading, and also noticed with my phone or lap top that my eyes would get tired quick, so I wear my polarised glasses over the top of my cheaters and tbis seems to have taken care of my sensitivity! Keep eye drops and wetter drops handy, you would be supprised at how quick your eyes can dry out, especially on hot dry days, or windy days, and in very bright lighting conditions!
    I always recommend Wiley-X brand glasses, especially their safety rated polarized systems, really the best investment, far better then Oakely, and much cheaper! If you can find them, the old Varnea France snow glasses are also exceptionally good, spendy, but worth it! I still have a couple pairs with the snow/glare shields, really nice glasses!

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and tacmotusn like this.
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I had Lasik surgery done years ago and while my far vision still is perfect by close vision is horrid and I must have glasses to read or even see a photo. It's a real pain in the backside at times... There is a technological leap in the future that will cure our vision (both near and far) but nothing in the near future so this is as good as it's going to get so...eat your carrots.

Dunerunner, Motomom34, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've been noticing the decline in my sight . Wearing readers now is a must . Nightime driving with the glare is getting pretty rough , tired eyes during night time driving is getting to be the normal thing . I've been looking for some of those Blue Blocker glasses , I used to see them advertised on TV for glare at night , or does anyone have any other type of glasses that help with this ?
    As far as the annoying spots in front of my eyes , every time I leave the house , annoying spots are walking and driving in front of me every where I go . The only cure for that I've found is to stay the hell home , because they won't . :ROFLMAO:

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I must have some sort of freak gene, As I have gotten older my eyes are getting better 20/30 last time I had them checked.
    My hearing has not improved though,I attribute that to 10,001 helicopter rides in the Gulf

Zimmy, Dunerunner, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  10. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I got my eyes checked yesterday. 1 very minor change in one eye in the last 3 years. I'm getting new glasses, and the old ones are close enough to the new prescription to be kept as a backup.

11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Ditto !!

S

Bandit99, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Several years ago I read a man's story concerning his wife's vision.
    He didn't reveal where she got the idea, but she apparently found a weeping willow tree and ate or chewed some of the leaves and vision issues went away perminantly.
    I haven't seen a weeping willow tree in ages so I haven't been able to try it, but the way I see it , it can't hurt .

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Man, Those willow trees grow wild here!

Ganado and Dunerunner like this.
  14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'll be looking for those Willow Trees .

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

If I remember correctly all you need is a fresh green limb,Poke it deep next to a stream/creek/river bank and it should take root and sprout out.

Ganado, Zimmy, Dunerunner and 4 others like this.
  16. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

When I moved onto my property about 12 years ago , I had a Weeping Willow tree in the back yard. About 2 years later , spring time came , everything started blooming but that weeping willow .
    I'll give that twig planting a shot for sure . Thanks for that info .

Dunerunner, arleigh and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

This is a relevant topic because just yesterday I went for my annual eye checkup.

You can't really put a price on your vision, but they sure do try. My bill was $450 even with my super-duper insurance. That included an exam, laser imaging scans on both eyes (similar to an MRI), a year's supply on contacts, and a new pair of glasses. Four-fiddy is a lot of money to me; it would have been well over $1000 if I were paying for the whole deal myself.

As an added bonus, they gave a buttload of contact solution samples (about $20 worth) and a $50 rebate on the contacts.

Ganado, Dunerunner, Gray Wolf and 2 others like this.
  18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have an HSA, so when I go to get new glasses, it's not going to hurt my wallet. I just get new lenses for my current frames and it's covered. I did buy a pair of RH sunglasses from Glassesusa(dot)com and they work well.

One thing I checked into is research on rinsing your eyes with a diluted iodine solution. I only use pure iodine (nascent iodine from infowars) and distilled water. Yes, it burns something terrible. But, some research has suggested improvements to eyesight.

Ganado, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Luckily -, we have a place here in town that will take your eyeglasses script and turn out two sets of glasses for under $30. No more $300+ from an optometrist shop....

This outfit uses a CNC machine so are able to produce quality lens (high refractive index plastic) in under an hour - more or less.

My youngest has only the VA for health issues and they don't so eyeglasses. They will do an exam and issue a script - I took him over to this joint for his first set of glasses. What a difference for just a few dollars.

Ganado, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Same here , with a white stick ?
    ;)

Thats why I went to London Opic and saw folks from all over the world !!

Glasses and the bills were over the top,
    We smoking or making Tea with the willow ? ;)
    S

Read deep , Lifetime warranty

Dunerunner likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7