Farm Truck Project

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

We have been on the new homestead for a year and we finally crossed the river.
    I really needed a new truck and was getting ready to spring for a new rig.
    The Mrs.Dart was a bit exasperated over me incurring a new monthly payment.
    Before you could shake a twig, she started showing me used trucks we could grab for cash and maybe fix a few things if needed.

We ended up scoring a 1957 International Harvester 4x4 3/4 ton S-120 for a nice price. She runs solid, but does need some TLC in many areas. Bought it off a Vietnam Vet that had lost interest in the old girl...he also sold his T-bird...... !!

Anyways, we have a project ahead and looking forward to another working rig on the farm!!

00j0j_37RRnHvarw6_0CI0t2_600x450. 1. 120252494_3679712778715313_306648234175250344_o.

STANGF150, Motomom34, GOG and 14 others like this.
  2. Yard Dart

She will go well next to our Ferguson that is going to be restored this winter!!

TO-20.

STANGF150, Motomom34, GOG and 14 others like this.
  3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Omg SWEET!

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

IH PARTS AMERICA - Your One Stop IH Shop!
    Parts and Intel.
    My goto for IH Scout stuff.

You got a perfect Farm Truck. Good Luck

GOG, Gator 45/70, ditch witch and 6 others like this.
  5. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

Jealous!! Love the truck and the tractor. Both of those are on my list, just don't have the time to put into it right now. Keep us posted on the progress of the restorations.

6. BenP

BenP Monkey++

That is awesome!

7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Nice score, those old International Trucks were tough and easy to work on. My first vehicle was a 1964 international and my Second was a 1971 International. Wish I still had them today. Might not have had all the bells and whistles of todays trucks but they were 3X the Truck when it came to getting the job done with reliability. They did like to drink deep of the gasoline though LOL

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I totally dig IH! Looks like a lot of fun! Are you going to go with a new power train or restore the original? I'd definitely be looking to see about replacing drum brakes with discs and possible suspension changes.

9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Nice... You know that Les Schwab has a service that will sandblast and repaint your rims. The old gal looks to need some new feet anyway. Like you said, a little TLC... and again, nice find.

10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Nothing at all wrong with an IHC, bomb proof solid, dependable, and tough as hell!

Believe it or not, but a good NAPA parts house should be able to track down most everything you would ever need for the old girls! I use them quite a bit for the WW-II power Wagons, not much they cannot find for me!

What engine does that old truck have? The 345 was the best of them, and consider your self super lucky if she has one under the hood!

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Now what you need is to find a PTO for the Tranny, and a PTO driven IH Winch, front Bumper & Driveshaft to match... Then you will have a great Farm Truck...

12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Great find Yard.
    My 1st truck was a '68 cornbinder with a 304, 2 barrel holly and a auto tranny. Put the rear springs and overloads out of a 3/4 ton travelall. Kinda dagoed the rear when empty but it sure could haul a lot of firewood. Rebuilt the engine and tranny in high school shop class and drove it until I was in my late 20's. Got about 18mpg with that 2 barrel. They'll run forever with a bit TLC.

13. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Old stuff is cool.
    'Course I'm kinda partial.

14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

You got the 240 or 264 cid in there?

Either way, you scored!

15. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Years go a buddy of mine had a '71 Scout with a 304. Had a really rough time trying to start it for about 2 years despite numerous tune-ups. He timed it on #1 cyl at 10 deg BTDC consistently and it frequently took cranking for about 30 seconds or more for it to start.

At one point his battery literally exploded. I remember that. It sounded like a 12 gauge under his hood. It was outside of a convenience store and he immediately ran in and bought two boxes of Arm and Hammer baking soda to try to contain the acid damage.

One day he steam cleaned the engine. Stamped into the valve cover was a simple instruction to time the engine at 10 deg BTDC ... on #8 cylinder.

LOL

STANGF150, 3cyl, Mountainman and 9 others like this.
  16. Yard Dart

Going to restore the power train as needed. The motor runs fine, but has several leaky gaskets, that will get swapped out.
    She has recently had all brake pads and lines replaced, so I will just go through and confirm is all in working order.
    As far as suspension, she is a 3/4 ton and meets my needs for what I want at this time.
    She is low geared and just intended on moving stuff, picking up lumber and hay.... that will be her job for the most part.
    Won't be a commuter, nor a show rig..... just a farm girl well taken care of. ;)

17. Yard Dart

The current rims are the old split style...that most folks fear/hate today.
    Plan on replacing with a nice steel wheel with new sneakers with a bit more meat on them.... but not much.
    The current tires are 6.5X16... like the old jeeps.... want a bit more hefty look on the new ones.

18. Yard Dart

It has the BD-240 engine and the transmission is the standard 3-speed syncro-mesh.

19. Yard Dart

It has the 240 in it as it is the S-120 model....later in 57 they came out with the Anniversary model A-120 which had the option of the 264 in it.

20. Yard Dart

Thanks for the link, I will check it out!!!

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. Motomom34
  11. Meat
  12. Meat