Farm Truck Project

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Oct 1, 2020.

1. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Trunk Monkey

what model ferguson? my family used to have a 35 ferguson with a 3cyl diesel in it. i operated it from age 8 until just recently when my parents sold my grandparents farm. miss that old tractor!

Yard Dart, SB21, Tully Mars and 5 others like this.
  2. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I had a '66 half ton 4x4, it was an ex-air force truck. The engine was a big 6 cylinder, called "black diamond 6".

It was the easiest vehicle to put a tuneup on that I ever owned. I just opened the hood, climbed into the engine compartment, put one leg on each side of the front axle, and stood right next to the engine on the side where the plugs and distributor were.

I sure had a lot of adventures in that old truck!

SB21, Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Sweeeet YD X's 10

4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Had an old International Scout for many years and loved it. Finally gave it away and damned things still probably rusting and running somewhere.

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

It is a 1950 TO-20 Ferguson tractor.
    Simple to work on, all hydraulics work properly and she runs just fine.
    Used it to brush hog about 5 acres recently. :)

6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

My grandpa had an old IH farm truck,, a few years newer than yours YD,, I can remember being a kid , riding in the fields throwing out corn shucks and hay for the cattle in the late 60s , early 70s ,,, damned thing didnt have any brakes then ,, I moved there in the late 80s and the thing still ran with a jump start and little gas poured down the carb. I wanted to put a little money into then and fix it up ,, my dad said it wasn't worth putting money into . That might have been the only time I listened to him , when I shouldn't have ,,, god bless'em both.

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i have and old flame who trades these old junkers.... he told me to tell you @Yard Dart to be sure and put a kegerator in the back with a beer tap by the passenger door to increase resale value
    [LMAO][winkthumb][chopper]

8. Yard Dart

I aint sellin silly girl!!!

9. Yard Dart

Old Junkers... slap that boy up side the head and stop flaming with him.... he is a loser.
    "We" don't sell works in progress... now if he has an idea on a motor/tranny upgrade.... I will listen.

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

ur seriously keeping it? it has no horsepower and cant pull or carry anything. It nees the beer to give it value hehe

SB21, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Now yall see here,Clearly a woman who knows men and their simple needs.

SB21 and Ganado like this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

all kidding aside, internationals are great trucks. It will be a great addition to your farm. And fixing it up will keep YD out of trouble :p

Yard Dart, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Not sure I'd worry about it much Yard.
    You mentioned that the engine runs good, but has oil leaks. A gasket set will solve that. If it was me I'd pull the oil pan and look at the mains and rod bearings and go from there. Those engines ain't nothing to go through if you decided you needed to. Same with the tranny. If it doesn't pop out of gear and the syncros are good I'd change out the oil and run it. Those trannys are easy to work on/rebuild as well if needed. I would resurface the flywheel and install a new clutch kit. Keep a spare set of points, condenser, cap n rotor along with plugs in the shop and you'd be set.

14. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I agree ^^ If your going that far of pulling the pan , do a compression test first or leak down test just to see if head removal is needed.
    Pulling pan and slipping in new rod throws and mains is ez , new oil pump as well. Use NO silicone sealer , use the better Aviation types and they will not let you down. The engines Im on use no gaskets and are glued together, you need gaskets , but the better type over stock with AV chemicals adhesives. My Toy BJ60 with 3B turbo & aftercooled works well , no leaks ..
    If compression is good but not great , live with it , brgs are more important ..
    Sloth

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The key with compression is that they are all the same, plus or minus a couple percent. Leakdown will tell you a lot just listening at both ends. If you need to pull the head(s), might as well do the whole deal, soup to nuts and hone the cylinders; your basic rebuild. That should not be needed with that ol' boat anchor, pretty solid hunk of iron. I do NOT remember if you have to jack the engine to drop the pan ---

Gator 45/70, Tully Mars and SB21 like this.
  16. Yard Dart

Pan is wide open if I want to pull it, no jack needed.

17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Ball hone or de-glaser it , Hone is a different unit , many get this all wrong ,hone is after a bore , them 3 fingers unit are a straight stone that are toys ,, Ball hones just scratch the CYL to let the new rings to seat in .. Now if the rings have worn into the OD of the CYL then the goofy engines built back then have ring ridges and now need a ridge ringer remover , NOW COMES THE MONEY !!
    Real engines use soft rings and hard CYL's causing ring wear over the block wear !! SO watch how deep !!
    You cant get pistons and rods out till you gouge the block that might need boring oversized , then the "real " hone to size to spec..
    Rod resizers etc all use a hones that are set at a spec, the 3 finger and ball units are just scratchers ,,
    I worked as a machinist on this in the 60.s , til now Tech rep / instructor for a Manufacture for the last 20 years ..
    Best to do deep DIO .
    Ask many & you have my CDN text # , Any questions no worry's Sir YD .

Sloth

18. sdr

sdr Monkey++

At least with split rims you can replace the tires without having a machine.That is if you have balls of steel. Replaced many on my old 65 dodge. Should have replaced them though. Gotta love old dependable, simple trucks. Only major thing i had done to mine was to have my mechanic fix the smoking issue. It ran fine. I was just getting tired of the smoke. He had to replace 3 cracked pistons on it. One of the most reliable vehicles i ever owned. Never failed to start.

Yard Dart, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Love that truck! What a great find. Once again, Mrs Dart has my admiration. She is a smart lady and saw no need to ding up a new truck while working the homestead. My step-dad had an old IH truck, I spent many hours riding in the back. Those are great solid trucks.

3M-TA3, SB21, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  20. Sweet truck! That brings back memories of my dad's old rig

Gator 45/70, Yard Dart and 3M-TA3 like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. Motomom34
  11. Meat
  12. Meat