FIFO Pantry storage cardboard boxes

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tango3, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

COOL, I need something like that as well.

A friend had suggested the ones you use for soda cans in the fridge, said they worked great, so I got a bunch. They didn't work at all, except for the smaller soup cans or the cans of juice concentrate that looks like a soda can.

Are those made from cardboard or the "plastic" stuff that looks like cardboard?

3. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Basically the same concept as the soda can holders that go in the fridge. Standard size soup cans will probably go through the plastic ones made for soda cans but the oversize soup and veggy cans might not.

Here are some 12/24-pack steel racks that should work for most veggy cans that are the same height or slightly less than a soda can.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/steel-refrigerator-can-racks.do

I think I'll order one just to see how other stuff fits. Then I'll at least know for sure and I'll have the one for soda cans either way.

Byte

4. kckndrgn

Byte, those might work. I got the plastic ones from the same company. The main problem is that the veggie cans have a bigger diameter than soda cans so they will not fit in the back part where they drop down to roll forward.

5. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Oh yeah I see what you mean. Those metal ones look as if you could bow the back two bars out to accommodate the larger cans. Oh and hopefully without destroying the whole works! Too many things to do and take care of and not nearly enough time...

Byte

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I like that I can't bring myself fto get out the circular saw and ply and build those dang boxes.

7. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

I use filing cabinets. Put like kinds of food in a drawer and mark is in each one. I use the two drawer ones as they fit in more places.

The file cabinet work best for dry foods like boxes of mac and cheese. For food like pasta, rice and beans I leave them in the original package and mark them with the DOP then put the in popcorn tins. I use smaller tins for the likes of Kool-Aid, hot coco and yeast.

Someone that is crafty need to start making can organizers and make the adjustable.

8. kckndrgn

I just got a couple of these in:
    http://www.fifostorage.com/shop/-c-33.html
    [​IMG]

These assemble easily and are expandable. The wife likes 'em so that's even better. A little on the spendy side, but having a good rotation of our canned items means not having to throw any way or hurry up and use them.

Note: I got 2 sets of the item pictured, each set has a slot for 3 different items, but when you combine set, you get 7 not 6 slot due to the way the dividers are designed.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7