Finally, Almost Got My Geodesic Survival Shelter!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by bmysliwiec, Jan 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I have and used a US GPS tent as our living area while building our home. Strong, wind resistant and with a liner plenty warm. Two doors and a roll up side make for a well engineered tent.
    In the winter we slept warm and the three large dogs were our heaters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NO SPAM just a site of tents.
    GP Small, 17'6" six sided

2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Definitely for glamping, and for use on safari only if you have a very long line of porters.

But at least they're pretty at night when they're all lit up.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

4. HK_User

Reminds me of sleeping on the floor of my Flat Bed Truck, 2x6s across the top of the stakes, Treated Cotton Canvas for a roof and sides. Roll back the top as needed or tie it down for a storm.

Not as classy but a whole lot cheaper.

Freaks out the high dollar campers with the $100,000 rigs.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    oldawg, chelloveck and kellory like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

A 10 man hex tent. We would hook a 5 and ten man together to make a suite while at the lovely Ft Greely (AK) in the winter. A Yukon stove would keep the 5 man toasty at -50F - used for a sleeping area. The ten man was acceptable for working during the day. A liner is required for winter camping.
    I'd love to have a 5 man hex, but at $700+ used, locally, not going to happen.l site on line that deal in military tenting systems - both new and used.

chelloveck likes this.
  6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

We used to disallow new member first post promotional links but decided it wasn't worth trying to manage unless it was Ugg boots, iPhone cases or Guuci purse type spam. If it's at least on topic to the theme of SM, we now allow these threads.

VisuTrac and chelloveck like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The tentage in your avatar pic looks pretty serviceable DKR. Modest, a rustic simplicity, easily erected and disassembled, eminently portable, easy to repair, has a good concealment scheme when augmented with local flora and camouflage netting, very economical, I'll buy 10 of those too! :D

8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The "Rustic simplicity" works well enough in the warmest of summer months. In the winter, not so much. If I was still living in Nevada, maybe. It is lightweight...

This on the other hand is both fast to put up and seemly quite the experience
    [​IMG]
    called a Shift Pod.

MARKETPLACE

something of an oddball site - but considering it was developed for use at Burning Man, maybe not... Take a bit to look it over. They have some very good features.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    HK_User and chelloveck like this.
  9. bmysliwiec

bmysliwiec Monkey

I am a preparedness enthusiast and I am a member of a lot of groups, I want everyones opinions, no reason not to copy and paste my post to each group, takes too long to make a personal different one in each when I am just trying to get the same responses, lol

10. bmysliwiec

bmysliwiec Monkey

The cover on these domes is fit to the drame and is welded vinyl so there is no chance of leakage. I know there are some companies using canvas as a full cover and that would for sure make some leaking though.

11. bmysliwiec

bmysliwiec Monkey

Its not canvas, its Vinyl, you won't need any seam sealant, its welded vinyl. The bags are a lot larger then they need to pack them the first time to make sure you can repack it with no problems.

12. bmysliwiec

bmysliwiec Monkey

I am getting the bay windows on it, they up the temperature up to 70 degrees by themselves, and in the summer you just zip on the cover

13. bmysliwiec

bmysliwiec Monkey

Handles upwards of 200mph wind so I don't think thats an issue here

14. bmysliwiec

bmysliwiec Monkey

The picture is of course from their website, I don't have mine yet, but I don't plan on using beds like they have in the picture, I plan on using hammocks, I also plan on picking up the Trillium hammock I read about from someone elsewhere and putting that up in the roof so it acts like an attic for the dome, I can either sleep on it and put my gear on the ground or I can sleep on hammocks on the ground and use the trillium for extra gear in the attic

15. bmysliwiec

bmysliwiec Monkey

Good policy, but notice I am still responding to the post, I am not a spammer, just got a great deal and thought I would share and get opinions.

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. HK_User

I'd like to see one in person and after a summer thunder storm.........

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  17. HK_User

Shift-Pods: The New Generation of Burnitecture

chelloveck likes this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

VisuTrac, chelloveck and HK_User like this.
  1. OldDude49
  2. Oddcaliber
  3. VHestin
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Yard Dart
  7. ditch witch
  8. Witch Doctor 01
  9. fritz_monroe
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7